This is a case report of a 22-year-old Indian woman with 37 week gestation (primi-gravidae), a known case of congenital Î²-thalassemia trait came for routine check-up without any complaints. She has a fixed bradycardia (heart rate 45 beats/minute-BPM) and her electrocardiogram showed complete heart block (CHB). The relation between Î²-Thalassemia trait and third degree heart block is not reported in the medical literature. The correct diagnosis of the patient was based on appropriate clinical observations, ECG findings and deliberation of the differential diagnosis.
Î²-Thalassemia Trait, Complete Heart Block and Pregnancy
- Kumar V, Abbas, K. & Fausto N: Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. 7th edition. Elsevier Saunders, 2004
- Lekawanvijit, S, & Chattipakorn, N (2009). Iron overload thalassemic cardiomyopathy: iron status assessment and mechanisms of mechanical and electrical disturbance due to iron toxicity. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 25,213-218
- Sheiner, E, Levy, A, Yerushalmi, R. & Katz, M, (2004). Beta-thalassemia minor during pregnancy. Obsteterics and Gynecology. 103,1273-1277
- KÃ¼Ã§Ã¼kosmanoÄŸlu, O, Ozbarlas N, & SaÅŸmaz, I. (2002). Complete heart block in thalassemia major: a case report. Turkish Journal of Pediatrics. 44,261-262
- Engle, MA, Erlandson, M & Smith, CH (1964). Late cardiac complications of chronic, severe, refractory anemia with hemochromatosis. Circulation. 30,698-705
- Cohen AR, Galanello R & Pennell DJ, et al (2004). Thalassemia. Hematology Am Soc Hematology Education Program. 14-34
- Veglio, F, Melchio, R & Rabbia, F, et al (1998). Blood pressure and heart rate in young thalassemia major patients. American Journal of Hypertension.11,539-47
- Palma-Carlos, A.G, Palma-Carlos, M.L, & Costa, A.C. (2005).â€œMinorâ€ hemoglobinopathies: a risk factor for asthma. Europian Annals Allergy Clinical Immunology. 37, 177-182
- Bocchetta, A. (2005). Heterozygous Î²-thalassaemia as susceptibility factor in mood disorders: excessive prevalence in bipolar patients. Clinical Practical Epidemiological Mental Health. 1: 6-10
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.