This paper seeks to describe the use of several methods to analyze repeated measure using data collected on weight of children under five years of age at the weighing centers in Tamale metropolis in the northern region. The question of interest is to find out if there is a change in mean weight gain by children under five year over time and if the factors (age, feeding type, feeding practice gender etc) influence those changes. The data was collected from 210 children put into three groups of ages 0-6 months, 7-12 months and 13-18 months on monthly bases for a total of 1260 observations. Three feeding types: exclusive breast feeding, breast feeding with introduction of plumpy nut food supplement and completely complementary feeding. Univariate ANOVA and multivariate MANOVA techniques were use to analyzed the data. Both random effect and fixed effect models shown to be better for the data. Age, feeding type and feeding practices were the factors that did not support the null hypothesis and therefore influencing the children weight gain with the p-values of <0.001 at 5% level in all the three cases.
Repeated measures, longitudinal data, feeding types, Anova, Manova
- Bergh, D. D. (1995). Problems with Repeated Measures Analysis: Demonstration with a Study of Diversification and Performance Relationship. The Academy of Management Journal, 38(6), 1692-1708
- Box, G. E. P. (1954). Some Theorems on Quadratic Forms Applied in the Study of Analysis of Variance Problems, II. Effects of Inequality of Variance and Correlation between Errors in the Two-Way Classification. The Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 25(3), 484-498
- Cornell, E. J., Young, D. M., Seaman, S. L.,and Kirk, R. E. (1992). Power Comparisons of Eight Tests for Sphericity in Repeated Measures Designs. Journal of Educational Statistics, 17(3), 233-249
- Crowder, M.J. and Hand, D.J. (1990). Analysis of Repeated Measures. New York:Chapman and Hall
- Dallal, Gerard E. (2002). Repeated Measures Analysis of Variance Part II: After SASâ€™s Mixed Procedure. < www.tufts.edu/~gdalla1/repeat2.htm. Retrieved June 21, 2012
- Dramane M. and Carolyn H. (2006).An Exploratory Analysis of Child Nutritional Status in the Sahel, the Goundam Circle Case Study - Timbuktu Region â€“ Mali
- Dinesh K., Goel N.K., and Poonam C. (2006). Influence Of Infant-Feeding Practice On Nutritional Status of Under-Five Children. Department of Community Medicine, GMCH, Sector 32a,Chandigarh, India
- Fitzmaurice, G.M., Laird, N.M., and Ware, J.H. (2004). Applied Longitudinal Analysis,New Jersey: Wiley
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.