Author(s): Gerard Lucotte, Christian Crépin, Thierry Thomasset, MichÃ¨le Paris
We have obtained mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) sequences from Karl Wilhelm Naundorffâ€™s hair, who pretended to be the son of King Louis XVI (1754-1793) and Queen Marie-Antoinette (1755-1793). Authenticity of the hair is established by optic and electronic microscopy. Sequences of hypervariable regions of the mitochondrial DNA (extracted from two different hairs) show five mutations : 16298C ; 72C, 152C, 195C and 263G ; the corresponding mtDNA haplogroup is the sub-haplogroup HVO. Consequently, Naundorff cannot be excluded to be considered as being Louis XVII on the basis of mtDNA sequence of his humerus (as affirmed in Jehaes et al., 1998). Comparisons of mtDNA sequences between mtDNA extracted from Naundorffâ€™s hair reported here and those (Jehaes et al., 2001) of the living Anna of Roumania (of Habsburg descent) shows that both correspond to mtDNA haplogroups of the general HV cluster.
Mitochondrial DNA haplogroups, Karl Wilhelm Naundorff, mutations in the hypervariable regions
- Jehaes E, Decorte R, Peneau A, Petrie JH, Boiry PA, Gilissen A, Moisan JP, Van den Berghe H, Pascal O, Cassiman JJ. Mitochondrial DNA analysis on remains of a putative son of Louis XVI, King of France and Marie-Antoinette. European Journal of Human Genetics, 1998 ; 6 : 383-395
- Jehaes E, Pfeiffer H, Toprak K, Decorte R, Brinkmann B, Cassiman JJ. Mitochondrial DNA analysis of the putative heart of Louis XVII, son of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette. European Journal of Human Genetics, 2001 ; 9 : 185-190
- Lucotte G. A rare variant of mtDNA HVS1 sequence in the hairs of NapolÃ©onâ€™s family. Investigative Genetics, 2010; 1 : 1-4
- Andrews RM, Kubacha I, Chinnery PF, Lightowlers RN, Turnbull DM, Howel N. Renalysis and revision of the Cambridge reference sequence for human mitochondrial DNA. Nature Genetics, 1999 ; 23 : 147
- Rapport du Pr Locard (nÂ°10. 176). MinistÃ¨re de lâ€™IntÃ©rieur, Direction GÃ©nÃ©rale de la SÃ»retÃ© GÃ©nÃ©rale ; Laboratoire de Police Technique de Lyon (2 pages)
- Ackerman AB, Kligman AM. Some observations on dandruff. Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemistry, 1969 ; 20 : 81-101
- Using The AmpFISTR Identifiler PCR amplification kit (AmpFISTR Yfiler TM)
- BrandstÃ¤tter A, NiederstÃ¤tter H, Pavlic M, Grubweiser P, Parson W. Generating population data of the EMPOP database â€“ An overview of the mtDNA sequencing and data evaluation processes considering 273 Austrian control region sequences as example. Forensic Science International, 2007 ; 166 : 164-175
- BrandstÃ¤tter A, Klein R, Duftner N, Wiegand P, Parson W. Application of a quasi-median network analysis for the visualization of character conflicts to a population sample of mitochondrial DNA control region sequences from southern Germany (Ulm). International Journal of Legal Medicine, 2006 ; 120 : 310-314
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.