The paper shows recurrence plots obtained from time series of the level variations of four lakes in Africa (Nasser, Tana, Chad and Kainji). The data, coming from remote sensing, are provided by the United States Department of Agriculture. The recurrence plots allow a good visual comparison of the behaviours of local drainage basins.
Recurrence plots, Geophysics, Chaos, Attractors, Climate
- G. Box and G. Jenkins, Time Series Analysis Forecasting and Control, Holden-Day, San Francisco, 1976
- J.-P. Eckmann, S.O. Kamphorst and D. Ruelle, Recurrence Plots of Dynamical Systems, Europhysics Letters, 1987, Volume 5, Pages 973-977
- J.-P. Eckmann and D. Ruelle, Ergodic Theory of Chaos and Strange Attractors, Review of Modern Physics, 1985, Volume 57, Issue 3, Pages 617-656
- A.C. Sparavigna, Recurrence Plots of Sunspots, Solar Flux and Irradiance, arXiv:0804.1941 [physics.pop-ph], 2008
- C.L. Webber Jr and J.P. Zbilut, Dynamical Assessment of Physiological Systems and States Using Recurrence Plot Strategies, Journal of Applied Physiology, 1994, Volume 76, Issue 2, Pages 965-973
- J.P. Zbilut, N. Thomasson, and C.L. Webber, Recurrence Quantification Analysis as a Tool for Nonlinear Exploration of Nonstationary Cardiac Signals, Medical Engineering & Physics, 2002, Volume 24, Issue 1, Pages 53-60
- Gaoxiang Ouyang, Li Xiaoli, Dang Chuangyin and D.A. Richards, Using Recurrence Plot for Determinism Analysis of EEG Recordings in Genetic Absence Epilepsy Rats, Clinical Neurophysiology, 2008, Volume 119, Issue 8, Pages 1747-1755
- N. Marwan and J. Kurths, Cross Recurrence Plots and Their Applications, in Mathematical Physics Research at the Cutting Edge, C.V. Benton Editor, pp.101-139, Nova Science Publishers, 2004
- J.P. Zbilut and C.L. Webber Jr., Embeddings and Delays as Derived from Quantification of Recurrence Plots, Phys. Letters A, 1992, Volume 171, Issue 3-4, Pages 199-203
- USDA, at www.pecad.fas.usda.gov/ cropexplorer/ global_reservoir/
- E. Kononov, Visual Recurrence Analysis, www.visualization-2002.org/
- E. Kononov, visual-recurrence- analysis.software.informer.com/4.9/
- E. Kononov, www.visualization-2002.org/ VRA_Main_Description_.html
- Vv. Aa., Wikipedia, /wiki/RÃ¶ssler_attractor
- Vv. Aa., Wikipedia, /wiki/Lorenz_system
- Vv. Aa., Wikipedia, /wiki/Nile#Blue_Nile
- A.C. Sparavigna, The Merowe Dam on the Nile, Archaeogate, 3 December 2012, available at http://porto.polito.it/2379391/
- A.C. Sparavigna, Merowe Dam and the Inundation of Paleochannels of the Nile, arXiv:1011.4911 [physics.geo-ph], 2010
- G.N. Shimang, Post-Harvest Losses in Inland Fisheries in Nigeria with Emphasis on Lake Chad and Lake Kainji, Proceedings of the Symposium on Post-Harvest Fish Technology, Cairo, Egypt, 21â€“22 October, 1990
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.