Some recent papers proposed the use of Google Earth in the study of physics, in particular of the behaviour of waves. In fact, in satellite views of coastal zones of oceans and seas, we can easily observe several undulatory phenomena, such as diffraction and interference, created by the surface waves. In this paper, we will show that, with a careful examination of the time series of Google Earth, we can also observe oceanic internal waves. Therefore, we propose to study them, with the aim of attracting studentsâ€™ interest to subjects of the physics of waves that are beyond those usually discussed in the courses of undergraduate education.
Teaching Physics, Satellite Images, Google Earth, NASA, Internal waves, Oceans
- B.A. Ryder, Journey to the Ends of the Earth, Phys. Educ., 2007, Volume 42, Pages 435-7
- F. Logiurato and B. Danese, Physics of Waves with Google Earth, AIP Conf. Proc., 2010, Volume 1263, page 208.-211; F. Logiurato, Teaching Waves with Google Earth, arXiv:1201.0001, physics.ed-ph, 24 Dec 2011
- C.E. Aguiar and A.R. Souza, Google Earth Physics, Phys. Educ., 2009, Volume 44, Pages 624-626
- M.F. Goodchild, What Does Google Earth Mean for the Social Sciences?, in Geographic Visualization: Concepts, Tools and Applications, M. Dodge, M. McDerby and M. Turner Editors, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, 2008
- B. Thankachan and T. Franklin, Impact of Google Earth on Student Learning, International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 2013, Vol. 3, Issue 21, Pages 11-16
- A.C Sparavigna, Crater-like Landform in Bayuda Desert (a Processing of Satellite Images), arXiv:1008.0500, physics.geo-ph, 2010
- A.C. Sparavigna, Craters and Ring Complexes of the North-East Sudanese Country, arXiv:1008.3976, physics.geo-ph, 2010
- A.C. Sparavigna, Merowe Dam and the Inundation of Paleochannels of the Nile, arXiv:1011.4911, physics.geo-ph, 2010
- Earth Observatory, NASA, http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/
- Earth Snapshot, OSNAP/Chelys, http://www.eosnap.com/
- A.C. Sparavigna, Internal Waves and Vortices in Satellite Images, arXiv:1202.5770, physics.pop-ph, 2012
- Vv.Aa., Internal Waves, Wikipedia
- Office of Naval Reasearch, The Strait of Gibraltar, in An Atlas of Oceanic Internal Solitary Waves, May 2002, Global Ocean Associates, Pages 99-118
- D.M. Farmer and L. Armi, The Flow of Atlantic Water through the Strait of Gibraltar, Progress in Oceanography, 1988, Volume 21, Issue 1, Pages 1-105
- J.R. Apel, Observations of Internal Waves Surface Signatures in ASTP Photographs, Apollo-Soyuz Test Project Summary Science Report, 1979, Volume II, Pages 505-509, El-Baz and Warner Editors, NASA SP-12, NASA, Washington DC
- A.R. Osborne and T.L. Burch, Internal Solitons in the Andaman Sea, Science, 1980, Volume 208, Issue 4443, Pages 451-460
- www-welafi.ifh.uni-karlsruhe.de/ students/ bounded_interfacial_waves.pdf
- www.ifh.uni-karlsruhe.de/lehre/ envflu_II/Students/ocen689ch10.pdf
- A. DeCaria, Atmospheric Dynamics II, Lecture Notes, 2013, snowball.millersville.edu/ ~adecaria/ ESCI343/esci343_main.html
- 20. Vv.Aa., Internal Waves in the Indian Ocean, in Visible Earth, A Catalog of NASA Images and Animations of Our Home Planet, visibleearth.nasa.gov
- O. Nielsen, Ocean Waves, 2012, whatonearth.olehnielsen.dk/ oceanwaves.asp
- Vv.Aa., Internal Waves off Northern Trinidad, February 4, 2013, NASA Earth Observatory, earthobservatory.nasa.gov
- R. Marazzato and A.C. Sparavigna, Astronomical Image Processing Based on Fractional Calculus: the AstroFracTool, arXiv:0910.4637, astro-ph.IM, 2009
- J.M. Wallace and P.V. Hobbs, Atmospheric Science and Introductory Survey, San Diego, California, Academic Press, 1977
- Vv.Aa., Unusual Wave Clouds over the Aral Sea, March 25, 2009, NASA Earth Observatory, earthobservatory.nasa.gov
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.