Download Full PDF
Read Complete Article
Volume 3 - Sep 2014
Some researchers and engineers are hoping to harvest renewable energy by means of sea turbines, placed, for instance, in the oceanic currents. Recently, in March 2014, it was announced that some first tests have also been conducted in the Gulf Stream off Floridaâ€™s coast. In this paper, we will see that the hope for energy harvesting from this oceanic current is not recent, but it is, at least, a hundred-year-old. In fact, we find the description of mills in the Gulf Stream in a novel, entitled â€œThe Wonders of 2000â€, written by Emilio Salgari (1862 - 1911), Italian adventure writer and pioneer of science fiction.
Science Fiction, Emilio Salgari, Energy Harvesting, Gulf Stream, Oceanic Currents
- Ã–. Wikander, Archaeological Evidence for Early Water-Mills. An Interim Report, History of Technology, 1985, Volume 10, Pages 151â€“179
- D. Lohrmann, Von der Ã–stlichen zur Westlichen WindmÃ¼hle, Archiv fÃ¼r Kulturgeschichte, 1995, Volume 77, Issue 1, Pages.1-30
- A.G. Drachmann, Heron's Windmill, Centaurus, 1961, Volume 7, Pages 145-151
- A.C. Sparavigna, Water, Air and Fire at Work in Hero's Machines, arXiv:1101.3470 physics.pop-ph, 2011
- Vv.Aa., FAUâ€™S SNMREC Successfully Tests Research Turbine Offshore, March 2014, Press Release, www.fau.edu/mediarelations/ releases0314/031411.php
- P. Sagastume, Gulf Stream Gold: Mining Green Energy from Atlantic Currents, July 14, 2014, ALJAZEERA America
- Patent: Installation for Harvesting Ocean Currents (IHOC), Publication number US 6856036 B2, available at www.google.com/patents/US6856036
- Vv.Aa., Emilio Salgari, Wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Emilio_Salgari
- Emilio Salgari, Le Meraviglie del Duemila, 1907, www.liberliber.it
- Vv.Aa., Le Meraviglie del Duemila, Wikipedia, it.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Le_meraviglie_del_duemila
- Vv.Aa., Benjamin Franklin, Wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Benjamin_Franklin
- Vv.Aa., NOAA, Benjamin Franklin was the First Person to Chart the Gulf Stream, http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/ facts/bfranklin.html
- K.A. Zimmermann, What is the Gulf Stream?, LiveScience, January 15, 2013, www.livescience.com/ 26273-gulf-stream.html
- Resurgence & Ecologist , Volume 10, Issue 5, June 1980, Page 169
- K. Sanders, Researchers to Test Ocean Turbine Generators Off Florida Coast, June 4th 2014, NBC News
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.