Author(s): Konan DIBI, Amani Michel KOUAKOU, TchÃ©rÃ©gnimin JosuÃ© YÃ‰O, Ibrahim FOFANA, Boni Nâ€™ZUE, Casimir Yao BROU
This study was designed to evaluate the effects of planting modes on mini tubers formation from vine cuttings obtained from white yam (D. rotundata) and the greater yam (D. alata ). Four-month old vine cuttings obtained from two local cultivars (krenglÃ¨ and kponan) of D.rotundata and two improved varieties (C18 and 140) of D.alata were planted following three planting modes in planting holes containing carbonized rice husk and arranged in ridges. The three planting modes were: 2nH (2-node cutting planted horizontally with the 2 nodes buried), 2nV (2-node cutting planted vertically with 1-node buried) and 3nH (3-node cutting planted horizontally with 2 nodes buried). The vine cuttings were sampled for survival percentage 14 DAP (days after planting), for number of new stems (%), for number and weight (g) of mini tubers 150 DAP. There were significant (P < 0, 05) differences in number and weight of tubers produced on vine cuttings of krenglÃ¨, kponan, 140 and C18. The number and weight of tubers obtained from vine cuttings planted out according to mode 3nH were significantly different (P < 0.05) from others planting modes.
Yam, vine cutting, planting mode, tuber production
- Ayankanmi, T.G. & Agele, S.O., 2010. Effects of Genotype, Rootâ€“ Promoting Substances and Planting Media on Yam (Dioscorea Rotundata, Poir) Vine Cuttings for Mini Tuber Production. Advances in Environmental Biology, 4(3), 353-359
- Ayensu E.S., 1972. Anatomy of the monocotyledons.VI: In Dioscoreales. Metcalfe Ed, Clarendon press, oxford, p.182
- .Behera, K.K., Sahoo S. & Prusti A.B., 2009. Relative Agronomic performance of different Dioscorea species found in different parts of Orissa. Nature and Science, 7, 25-35
- Craufurd P.Q., Battey NH., Ile EI. & Asedu R., 2006. Phases of dormancy in yam tubers (Dioscorea rotundata). Ann. Bot, 97, 497â€“504
- FAO., 2013. CÃ´te dâ€™Ivoire. Lâ€™irrigation en Afrique en chiffres. EnquÃªte AQUASTAT, (25/08/2013)
- Hahn S.K., 1995 Yams: Dioscorea spp. (Dioscoreacea) In: J. Smartt and N.W. Simmonds (Eds)., Evolution of crop plants. Longman Scientific and Technical, UK: 112-120pp
- Igwilo N., 2003. Presence of axillary bud and application of plant growth hormones on rooting and tuberization of yam (Dioscorea spp) vine cuttings. Global Journal of Agricultural, sciences, 2(2), 128-130
- Kikuno H., Muamba K., Shiwachi H., Micho Onjo., Asiedu R. & March., 2006. Mini tuber production of white yam (D. rotundata) using vines: Japanese Journal of Tropical Agriculture 50 extra issue, 1, 1-3
- Kikuno H., 2009. New yam-growing technique. Appropriate Technology, 36(2), 36-37
- Komaki Y., Nakano A., Katoh H & Uehara Y., 2002. Utilization of chaff charcoal for medium of flowerbed seedlings and its effect on growth and quality of Madagascar periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus G. Don) seedlings. Japanese J. Soil Sci, Plant Nutri. 73, 49-52
- Njoku E., 1963. The propagation of yams (Dioscorea spp.) by vine cuttings J.W. Afri. ScÃ¬. Ass. 8(1), 29-32.
- Shiwachi. H., Kikuno H. & Asiedu R., 2005. Micro tuber production using yam (D. rotundata) vines: Tropical Science, 45(4), 163-169
- Vander Zaag P. & Fox R.L., 1981. Field production of yams (Dioscorea alata) from stem cuttings. Tropical Agriculture, 58, 143-145
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.