Author(s): A.D.T. Goji, A.Mohammed, Y.Tanko, Y. and M.U. Kawu
Hyperglycemia is a common feature of diabetes mellitus. It results from a decrease in glucose utilization by the liver and peripheral tissues and an increase in hepatic glucose production. Glucose phosphorylation by glucokinase is an initial event in glucose metabolism by the liver. However, glucokinase gene expression is very low in diabetic animals. Hepatic GCK is a key enzyme in glucose homeostasis and, as such, is a potential target for treatment strategies of diabetes. The present day study investigated the effect of co- administration of folic acid and magnesium on GCK activity. Thirty wistar male rats were divided into six groups of five each. Diabetic groups received 20 and 500 mg/kg folic acid and /or magnesium chloride, separarately or in combination. Diabetic control and normal control received 0.9% saline for 4 weeks. It was found that during combined exposure of folic acid and magnesium, the adverse effects of the diabetes induced by STZ was less pronounced in the group that had FA+ Mg than their individual effects. This suggests the synergistic beneficial effects of folic acid and Magnesium against STZ-induced diabetes in Wistar Rats. Investigations of the hepatic glucokinase concentration by Real-Time PCR showed a decreased in GCK concentration in diabetic control rats. GCK activity increased significantly (p<0.05) in group treated with FA+Mg. These results indicated that FA+Mg co- administration may probably exhibit a significant potential as a hypoglycemic agent perhaps via its ability to enhance GCK gene expression and its activity.
Glucokinse, folic acid, Magnesium, Diabetes Mellitus
- Bedoya FJ, Solano F, and Lucas M (1996) N- mono-methyl- arginine and nicotinamide prevent STZ- induced double strand DNA break formation in pancreatic rats Islets. Experientia 52: 344-347
- Bourbonais FJ, Chen J, Huang C, Zhang YW, Pfefferkorn JA and Landro JA (2011) â€œModulation of Glu- cokinase by Glucose, Small Molecule Activator and Glu- cokinase Regulatory Protein: Steady-State Kinetic and Cell-Based Analysis,â€ Biochemical Journal Immediate Publication
- Cardenas ML, Cornish-Bowden A and Ureta T (1998) â€œEvolution and Regulatory Role of the Hexokinases,â€ Bio- chimica et Biophysica Acta, Vol. 1401, No. 3, 1998, pp. 242-264
- Celik S and Erdogan S (2008) â€œCaffeic Acid Phenethyl Ester (CAPE) Protects Brain against Oxidative Stress and In- flammation Induced by Diabetes in Rats,â€ Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Vol. 312, No. 1-2, pp. 39- 46
- Davidson AL and Arion WJ (1989)â€œFactors Underlying Significant Underestimations of Glucokinase Activity in Crude Liver Extracts: Physiological Implications of Higher Cellular Activity,â€ Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Vol. 253, No. 1, pp. 156-167
- Duncan RC, Knapp RG and Miller MC (1977) Test of Hypotheses in population Means, In: Introductory Biostatistics for health science; John wiley and son Inc: N.Y., pp 71-76
- Elsner M, Guldbakke B, Tiedge M, Munday, R and Lenzen S (2000) Relative importance of transport and alkylation for pancreatic beta cell toxicity of STZ. Diabetologia. 43: 1528-1533
- Ferre, T, Pujol, A, Riu, E, Bosch F and Valera E (1996) â€œCor- rection of Diabetic Alterations by Glucokinase,â€ Pro- ceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 93, No. 14, 1996, pp. 7225-7230
- Froguel P, Zouali H, Vionnet H, Velho G, Vaxil- laire M, Sun F, Lesage S, Stoffel M, Takeda J and Passa P (1993)â€œFamilial Hyperglycemia Due to Mutations in Glu- cokinaseâ€”Definition of a Subtype of Diabetes Mellitus,â€ The New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 328, 1993, pp. 697-702
- Gerich JE (2003) â€œClinical Significance, Pathogenesis, and Management of Postprandial Hyperglycemia,â€ Archives of Internal Medicine, Vol. 163, No. 11, pp. 1306- 1316
- Iynedjian PB, Pilot PR, Nouspikel T, Milburn JL Quaade C, Hughes S, Ucla C and Newgard, CB (1989)â€œDifferential Expression and Regulation of the Glucokinase Gene in Liver and Islets of Langerhans,â€ Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 86, No. 20, 1989, pp. 7838-7842
- Kamata K, Mitsuya M, Nishimura T, Eiki J and Nagata Y (2004) â€œStructural Basis for Allosteric Regulation of the Monomeric Allosteric Enzyme Human Glucokinase,â€ Structure, Vol. 12, No. 3, 2004, pp. 429-438
- Lenzen S, Tiedge M and panten U (1987b) Glucokinase in pancreatic beta cell and its inhibition by alloxan. Acta Endocrinol (copenh) 115: 21-29
- Li YG, Ji DF, Zhong S Lv ZQ, T Lin TB and Chen S (2011) â€œHybrid of 1-Deoxynojirimycin and Polysaccha- ride from Mulberry Leaves Treat Diabetes Mellitus by Activating PDX-1/Insulin-1 Signaling Pathway and Regulating the Expression of Glucokinase, Phosphoe- nolpyruvate Carboxykinase and Glucose-6-Phosphatase in Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Mice,â€ Journal of Ethno- pharmacology, Vol. 134, pp. 961-970
- Magnuson MA and Shelton DK (1989)â€œAn Alternate Pro- moter in the Glucokinase Gene Is Active in the Pancreatic Beta Cell,â€ The Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 264, 1989, pp. 15936-15942
- Matschinsky FM, Magnuson MA, Zelent D, Jetton TL Doliba N, Han Y, Taub R and Grimsby J (2006) â€œThe Network of Glucokinase-Expressing Cells in Glucose Homeostasis and the Potential of Glucokinase Activators for Diabetes Therapy,â€ Diabetes, Vol. 55, No. 1, 2006, pp. 1-12
- Mehdi M, Sadegh Z, Mohsen R, Mohammad K, Arababad H Ghasemi H, Khoramdelazad N, Rezayati GH and Seyed-Mostafa H (2013). Persian Shallot (Allium hirtifolium Boiss) Extract Elevates Glucokinase (GCK) Activity and Gene Expression in Diabetic Rats. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 4, 1393-1399
- Nadler JL, Rude RK(1995) Disorders of magnesium metabolism. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 1995; 24: 623-641
- Paget, G.E and Barnes, J.M., (1964): Toxicity test. In: Laurence DR, Bacharach AL, editors. Evaluation of drug activities pharmacometrics. London and New York: Academic Press; Pp. 134â€“166
- Seo-Yoon K , Sung-Koo K , Dong-Gyu L, Young- Guk P, Young-Choon L, Ji-Chun C
- and Cheorl-Ho K (2000)â€œEffect of Jindangwon on Streptozotocin-Induced Diabe- tes,â€ Life Sciences, Vol. 67, pp. 1251-1263
- Stanley p, Mainzen P and Venugopal MP (2001) Anti-oxidant action of Tinospora, Cordifolia root extract in alloxan- induced diabetic rats. Phytother Res. 15:213-218 treatment of streptozotocin-induced rats. Biotechnol. Appl.Biochem.37:15:20
- Wang Z and Gleichmann H (1998) Glut 2 in pancreatic Islets: Crucial target molecules in diabetes induced with multiple low doses of STZ in mice. Diabetes. 47: 50-56
- Williams and Wilkin Co (1909): Journal of pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutic, 428 E. Preston st., Baltimore, MD 21202 V.1 Volume (issue)/page/ year : 35,1,1929
- Yajnik CS, Smith RF, Hockaday TDR and Ward HI (1984) Fasting plasma Magnesium conc. and glucose disposal in diabetes. Br med J; 288: 1032-4
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.