This study aims to assess the perception of villagers in two villages for forest resources management and analyzes the forest resources uses patterns of the people residing surrounding the Khammouane provincial protected area (PPA), Khaymaeb and Houayhaed villages, Boualapha district, Khammouane province. The research findings revealed that: the involvement of the villagers in forestry resources management was somewhat limited, just only 1 or 2 times per year. Forestry resources management prior the year 2000 was at the medium level of 59.91%. Forestry resources management after the year 2000 is at the good level of 52.72%. Compliance level with laws and regulations of the villagers is about 69.09. Established the management regulations by the government is 69.09%, the concept of establishing the provincial protected area is 61.82%. Forestry resources management is very important for livelihood and 49.09% said that it has improved their livelihoods. The forestry resources management regulations set by the government is said to be 74.44% appropriate. Construction activities that need less than 5 cubic meters of wood, 94.55% of them have asked permission from village authority. Construction activities that need above 5 cubic meters of wood, 64.45% of them have asked permission from village authority and 34.55% requested from district authority. The sources of wood for construction about 61.82% taken from the village collective forest. 50.91% of the fire wood also collected from the village collective forest and 10.91% from village protected area. For the prohibition on utilizing the non timber forest products (NTFPs) is that it is prohibited to collect NTFPs unlimitedly covered 87.27%. the sectors hat monitored and inspected the forest resources in the village areas, 60% will be done by the security and defense units based in such 2 villages, 43.73% of the interviewees did not receive the data/information on forestry resources management, the benefits of involvement in forestry management is 43.34% which is highly feasible.
Forest resource management, villagersâ€™ perception, socio-economic status
- Department of Forestry, 2003. The regulation of National Protected area, Aquatic and Wildlife
- Department of Forestry, 2008. Development plan of National protected area management system, Lao PDR
- Department of Forestry, 2010. Management plan in participant of Khammouane provincial protected area
- IUCN, 1995. Protected area fact sheets. Annex 3 to the mid 1995, status report on protected area system planning and management in Lao PDR. Lao Swedish forestry cooperation programme
- Kottelat, M, 1998. Fishes of the Name Theun and Xebangfai basins, Lao with diagnoses with 22 new species. Explore Fresh waters. Vo1.9, No.1 p1-128
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, 2002. Summary of decrees, resolutions and orders on Forestry (second title)
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, 2005. Forest Strategy to the year 2020 of Lao P.D.R
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, 2010. Forest cover assessment Lao PDR, MAF, Vientiane capital
- National Assembly, 2008. Forest Law, Vientiane capital, Laos
- Prime ministerâ€™s office, 1996. Degree of the poverty standard and development standards, 2001 to 2015
- Strategy of IUCN, 2007. The international natural resource conservation in Laos
- Subas Pd Dhakal, 2005. Local peopleâ€™s perception and willingness to pay towards participatory management of recreational opportunities in wetland of Watpailom & Ampu varam temple wildlife non hunting area Pathuthani provinc, Thailand, Mahidol University of the Thailand
- Walston, J. and Vinton, M, 1999. A wildlife and habitat survey of Hin Nam nor National Biodiversity Conservation Area and adjacent area, Khammouane province Lao PDR. WWF Lao project office, Vientiane
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.