Efficacy of individual and mixed substrates i.e. rice bran, wheat bran, grass pea bran and their combination with mustard oilcake (MOC), based Trichoderma harzianum bio-fungicides were tested against seedling disease (Fusarium oxysporum) of brinjal in plastic tray and seed bed during 2009 to 2014 in the net house of Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI). The results of plastic tray and seed bed experiments revealed that four combinations of substrate based T. harzianum bio-fungicides such as (1) rice bran + wheat bran, (2) rice bran + wheat bran + mustard oil cake (MOC), (3) rice bran + grasspea bran, and (4) rice bran + grasspea bran +MOC were suitable for controlling the soil borne seedling disease (F. oxysporum) of brinjal in tray soil as well as seed bed soil conditions.
Rice Bran, Wheat Bran, Grasspea Ban, Mustard Oilcake, Trichoderma Harzianum, Fusarium Oxysporum, Brinjal
- Brown, E. A. and F.F. Hendrix. 1980. Distribution and control of S. rolfsii on apple. Plant Dis. 64: 205-206. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/pd-64-205
- Chaur-Tsuen, L. and L. Chien-Yih. 2002. Screening strains of Trichoderma spp. for plant growth enhancement in Taiwan. Plant Pathology Bulletin 11:215-220
- Das, B.C., S.K. Roy and L. C. Bora. 1997. Mass multiplication of Trichoderma species on different media. J. Agril. Sci. Society of North East India 10(1): 95-100.
- Dubey, S. C., M. Suresha and B. Singha. 2007. Evaluation of Trichoderma species against Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. ciceris for integrated management of chickpea wilt. Biological Control 40: 118-127. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2006.06.006
- Elad, Y., I. Chet and J. Katan. 1983. Trichoderma harzianum: A biocontrol agent effective against Sclerotium rolfsii and Rhizoctonia solani. Phytopathology. 70: 119-121. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/phyto-70-119
- FAOSTAT. 2012. Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations statistical database. http://faostat.fao.org/.
- Harman, G. E. 2006. Overview of mechanisms and uses of Trichoderma spp. Phytopathology.96:190-194. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/phyto-96-0190
- Harman, G.E., A.G. Taylor and D. Hornby. 1991. Development of an effective biological seed treatment system. Biological Control of Soil-borne Plant Pathogens. pp 415-426.
- John, R. P., R. D. Tyagi, D. PrÃ©vost, S. K. Brar, S. Pouleur and R. Y. Surampalli. 2010. Mycoparasitic Trichoderma viride as a biocontrol agent against Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. adzuki and Pythium arrhenomanes and as a growth promoter of soybean. Crop Protection 29(12): 1452-1459. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2010.08.004
- Manju, S. and T. P. Mall. 2008. Efficacy of Trichoderma species on Phytopthora dresceleri f.sp. cajani of Pigeon pea. Ann. Plant Prot. Sci. 16:162-164.
- Mishra, D.S. and A.P. Sinha. 2000. Plant growth promoting activity of some fungal and bacteria agents on rice seed germination and seedling growth. Tropical Agric. 77:188-191.
- Mukhtar, I. 2008. Influence of Trichoderma species on seed germination in okra. Mycopath. 6(1&2): 47-50.
- Najar, A.G., Anwar, A., Masoodi, L., and Khar, M.S. 2011. Evaluation of native biocontrol agents against Fusarium solani f. sp. melongenae causing wilt disease of brinjal in Kashmir. J. Phytology 3, 31-34.
- Prasad, D. and K. M. Anes. 2008. Effect of metabolites of Trichoderma harzianum and T. viride on plant growth and Meloidogyne incognita on okra. Ann. Plant Prot. Sci. 16:461-465.
- Punja, Z. K., R. G. Grogan and T. Unruh. 1982. Comparative control of S. rolfsii on golf grass in Northern Calfornia with fungicides, inorganic salt and Trichoderma spp. Plant Dis. 66: 1125-1128. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/pd-66-1125
- Rettinassabababy, C. and N. Ramadoss. 2000. Effect of different substrates on the growth and sporulation of Trichoderma viride native isolates. Agril. Sci. Digest. 20(3): 150-152.
- Rojoa, F. G., M. M. Reynosoa, M. Fereza, S.N. Chulze and A. M. Torres. 2007. Biological control by Trichoderma species of Fusarium solani causing peanut brown root rot under field conditions. Crop Prot. 26:549-555. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2006.05.006
- Roy, S. J., B. S. Das and L. C. Bora. 1989. Non pestcidal management of damping-off of cabbage caused by Rhizoctonia solani kuehn. J. Agril. Sci. Society of North East India. 11(2): 127-130.
- Sangeetha, P., R. Jeyarajan and S. Panicher. 1993. Mass multiplication of bio-control agent Trichoderma spp. Indian J. Mycol. Plant Pathol. 23(3): 328-330.
- Shamarao, J., A.L. Siddaramaidah, H. Narayanaswamy and S. Jahagirdar. 1998. Screening of substrates of mass multiplication of Trichoderma viride. Karnataka J. Agril. Sci. 11(1): 233-236.
- Shamsuzzaman, S.M.A. Islam and I. Hossain. 2003. Trichoderma culture and germination of sweet gourd seed. Bangladesh J. Seed Sci. and Tech. 7(1 and 2): 91-95.
- Shoresh, M., I. Yedidia and I. Chet. 2005. Involvement of Jasmonic Acid/Ethylene Signaling Pathway in the Systemic Resistance Induced in Cucumber by Trichoderma asperellum T203. Phytopathology 95(1): 76-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/phyto-95-0076
- Sivan, A. and I. Chet. 1986. Biological control of Fusarium spp. in cotton, wheat and muskmelon by Trichoderma harzianum. J. Phytopathol. 116(1): 39-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0434.1986.tb00892.x
- Strange, R. N. and R. R. Scott. 2005. Plant disease: a threat to global food security. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 43: 83-116. http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.phyto.43.113004.133839
- Tjamos, E. C., G. C. Papavizas and R. J. Cook (eds) (1992) Biological control of plant diseases. Progress and challenges for the future. Plenum Press, New York. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4757-9468-7
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.