There have been assertions that early marriage is the major factor responsible for obstetric fistula in developing countries and some Muslim majority areas. Consequently, some parts of the western world have been agitating for the promulgation of a law that will specify a minimum age of marriage so as to tackle that issue. Islam allows marriage of girls at minority. The paper attempts to discuss the different factors that lead to obstetric fistula and their relationship to early marriage, finding out that early marriage on its own is not a cause but fistula occurs as a result of an interplay of many factors. It finally discusses the measures that should be taken to reduce or even eliminate fistula in developing countries, especially in Muslim majority areas, where early marriage is permitted and practised.
- Abdal-Ati, H (1982), The Family Structure in Islam, Islamic Publications Bureau, Lagos
- Abdur-Raâ€™uf, A.I (2003) Marriage to Minors in Islam: The Truth concerning the Age of Aâ€™isha (R.A) at Marriage, Islamic Heritage Foundation
- Ali, Y, The Holy Qurâ€™an
- Arthen, S.C, Rites of Passage: Puberty
- Campbell, S. et al (2001) Gynaecology by Ten Teachers, Arnold, Hodder Headline, London
- Campbell, S, et al, (2001) Obstetrics by Ten Teachers, Arnold Hodder Headline, London
- Jones, D.L, (1989) Everywoman, IPL, London
- Khan, M.M, Sahih al Bukhari (English Translation), Hilal Yayinlari, Turkey
- Konje, J.C & Ladipo, O.A, Nutrition and Obstructed Labour (in) The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- Bello, K, A Selection of Essays on VVF-Vesico vaginal Fistula, www.idre.ca visited in November 2006
- Blackwell synergy vol. 83 pp564-570, Vesico vaginal Fistula, www.emedicine.com/med/3092, visited November, 2006
- Kabir, M et al, (2006) Medico-Social Problems of Patients with Vesicovaginal Fistula in Murtala Muhammad Hospital, www.forwarduk.org, visited in Nov, 2006
- Mohammad, R.H (2013) Vesico vaginal Fistula (VVF) A Problem of Under-development, www.gamji.com/article 5000/NEWS5652.htm
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.