Alkaloid compound was isolated the from Solanum nigrum L. leaf as crystal white greenish powder at (38cÂ°). The chemical and physical properties were studies by using thin layer chromatography (TLC).IR-spectrum, Ultraviolet- visible spectrum, melting point(mp) .The Isolated alkaloid compound is shown high antibacterial activity against types of standard strains of bacteria(Staphylococcus aureus NCTC 6571 Staphylococcus aureus clinical strain, and Escherichia coli NCTC 5933).
Solanum Nigrum L. Leaves, TLC, Alkaloid Compound, Antibacterial Activity
- Al-wadi,M.H. (2007). Palynological and cytological characters of three species of genus Solanum from Saudi Arabia . Journal of Biological sciences, 7(4) : 626-631. http://dx.doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2007.626.631
- Burkill, HM. (2000). The useful plants of west tropical Africa, Royal botanic Gardens, Kew . 5:p .136. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/bf02859140
- Donald, L. ; Pavia, G.M ; Lampman, G.S. ; Kriz, J.R and Vyvyan .(2009). Introduction to Spectroscopy .4th Western Washington University.U.S.A :656 p
- Gogoi, P. and Islam,M.(2012). Phytochemical screening of Solanum nigrum L. and Solanum myriacanthus Dunl from districts of upper assam,India .J.JOSR . of Pharmacy,Vol.2.Issue 3, pp 455- 459. http://dx.doi.org/10.9790/3013-0230455459
- John, P. ; Harley, L. and Prescott, M. (1996).Laboratory Exercises in Microbiology . Mc Graw â€“ Hill, USA . 484, 149- 153.p.
- Harbonrne, J.B.(1984). Phytochemical Methods . 2nd ed . New York, Chapman and Hall, U.S.A.
- Mohammed, A.M.(2007). Isolation and identification of Solasodine (C27H43O2N) compound from leaves of Solanum nigrum L. plant and study itâ€™s effectiveness as contraceptive and against Mycobacterium tuberculosis,A thesis in Biology, College of Science â€“ Basrah University.
- Taylor, R. ; Edel, F. ; Monondhar, N .and Towers, G. (1996). Antimicrobial activity of Southern Nepales medicinal plant . J. Ethano pharmacol, 50:97-102.
- Walker R. and Edwards C. (1999). Clinical pharmacy and therapeutics .2nd ed . Churchill livngstone . p.497.
- Weissenberg, M.(2001). Isolation of solasodine and other steroidal alkaloids and sapogenins by direct hydrolysis-extraction of Solanum plants or glycosides there from . Phytochemistry .58, 501-508. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0031-9422(01)00185-6
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.