Background: Inguinal hernia is a common surgical problem but it can become problematic, when it exhibits some unusual contents. Aim: To highlight the occurrence of lipoma in hernia in a Nigerian community. Materials and methods: From 1977-1980, sacs which were excised during repair of inguinal hernias in the Igbos of South Eastern Nigeria were submitted to a Central Pathology Laboratory. They were studied by naked eye appearances and histologically. Results One hundred and thirty five inguinal hernia sacs were studied, out of which 113 were from males and 22 from females, i.e., a ratio of 6:1. Two sacs contained lipomas. Conclusion The presence of lipomas in inguinal hernia sacs is documented in a Nigerian community as an epidemiological contribution to the world literature.
Lipoma, Inguinal hernia sac, Igbos, epidemiology
- Chang YT, Huang CJ, Hsieh JS, Huang TJ (2004) Giant lipoma of spermatic cord mimics irreducible inguinal hernia: a case report. Kaohsiung J Med 20:247-249 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s1607-551x(09)70114-7
- Ballas K, Kontoulis Th, Skouras Ch, et al. (2009) Unusual findings in inguinal hernia surgery: Report of 6 rare cases. Hippokratia 13:169-171
- Ninos A, Douridas G, Liapi G, et al. (2004) Schwannoma in the inguinal canal masquerading an inguinal hernia. Hernia 6:73-75 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10029-003-0146-9
- Nasr AO, Tormey S, Walsh TN (2005) Lipoma of the cord and round ligament: an overlooked diagnosis? Hernia 9:245-247 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10029-005-0335-9
- Lau H (2004) Sliding lipoma: an indirect inguinal hernia without a peritoneal sac. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 14:57-59 http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/109264204322862388
- Lilly MC, Arregui ME (2002) Lipomas of the cord and round ligament. Ann Surg 235:586-590 http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00000658-200204000-00018
- Fawcett AN, Rooney PS (1997) Inguinal cord lipoma.Br J Surg 84:1168-1169 http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2168.1997.02752.x
- Nyhus LM, Bombeck CT, Klein MS (1991) Hernias. In Sabiston DC, ed. Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice, 14th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1134-1148
- Miller TJ, Paulk DG (2013) Round ligament lipoma mimicking acute appendicitis in a 24-week pregnant female: a case report. Hernia 17:259-261 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10029-011-0862-5
- Vashu R, Subramaniam M (2009) Large lipoma of the spermatic cord presenting as post-operative recurrent hernia in a middle aged gentleman: a case report. Cases J 2:8500 doi:10.4076/1757-1626-2-8500 http://dx.doi.org/10.4076/1757-1626-2-8500
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.