Aim: This in vitro study was carried out to assess the clinical and radiographic success of pulpotomy in primary molars following the use of formocresol, sodium hypochlorite 5% (NaCOl) and Calcium Enriched Mixture (CEM) cement. Materials and methods: This study was conducted on 108 primary molars of 5-8 year old children who referred to the pediatric dentistry, Isfahan faculty of dentistry. The selected teeth were equally distributed and randomly assigned to 3 groups of formocresol, sodium hypochlorite and CEM cement. After taking the initial radiography, standard pulpotomy was carried out by using formocresol, CEM cement and sodium hypochlorite 5%, and the teeth were restored by Stainless Steel Crown (SSC). The clinical and radiographic evaluations were performed at 6 and 12-month follow-ups. Data was analyzed by chi-square and Relative Risk statistical tests. Results: After 6 months, all (100%) of the pulpotomy medicaments were clinically successful. Also, there was no clinically significant difference between the results of primary molar pulpotomy in these 3 groups in the 1-year follow-up (p=0.129). There was not any significant difference between three groups in the first follow-up (p=0.364) and second follow-up (p=0.100). Conclusion: There was no significant difference among the success rates of the pulpotomy medicaments used in primary molars. Moreover, the clinical and radiographic success rates of NaOCl 5% and CEM cement were comparable to those of formocresol.
CEM Cement, Formocresol, Primary Dentition, Pulpotomy, Sodium Hypochlorite
- Ghajari MF, Jeddi TA, Iri S, Asgary S. Direct pulp-capping with calcium enriched mixture in primary molar teeth: a randomized clinical trial. IEJ 2010;5(1):27.
- Tabarsi B, Parirokh M, Eghbal M, Haghdoost A, Torabzadeh H, Asgary S. A comparative study of dental pulp response to several pulpotomy agents. Int Endod J. 2010;43(7):565-71. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2010.01711.x
- Vargas KG, Packham B, Lowman D. Preliminary evaluation of sodium hypochlorite for pulpotomies in primary molars. Pediarr Dent 2006;28(6).
- Vostatek SF, Kanellis MJ, Weber-Gasparoni K, Gregorsok RL. Sodium hypochlorite pulpotomies in primary teeth: a retrospective assessment. Pediarr Dent
- Peng L, Ye L, Tan H, Zhou X. Evaluation of the formocresol versus mineral trioxide aggregate primary molar pulpotomy: a meta-analysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol endod 2006;102(6):e40-e4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2006.05.017
- Ruby JD, Cox CF, Mitchell SC, Makhija S, CHOMPUâ€INWAI P, Jackson J. A randomized study of sodium hypochlorite versus formocresol pulpotomy in primary molar teeth. Int J Paediatr Dent 2013;23(2):145-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-263x.2012.01237.x
- Havale R, Anegundi RT, Indushekar K, Sudha P. Clinical and Radiographic Evaluation of Pulpotomies In Primary Molars With Formocresol, Glutaraldehyde and Ferric Sulphate. Oral Health Dent Manag. 2013;12(1):24-31.
- Santos A, Moraes J, AraÃºjo E, Yukimitu K, ValÃ©rio Filho W. Physico chemical properties of MTA and a novel experimental cement. Int Endod J. 2005;38(7):443-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2005.00963.x
- Asgary S, Ehsani S. Permanent molar pulpotomy with a new endodontic cement: A case series. J Conserv Dent 2009;12(1):31. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0972-0707.53340
- Nosrat A, Peimani A, Asgary S. A preliminary report on histological outcome of pulpotomy with endodontic biomaterials vs calcium hydroxide. Restor Dent Endod. 2013;38(4):227-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.5395/rde.2013.38.4.227
- Al-Mutairi M, Bawazir O. Sodium Hypochlorite versus Formocresol in primary molars pulpotomies: a randomized clinical trial. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2013;14(1):33-6.
- Asgary, Saeed. Calcium-enriched mixture pulpotomy of a human permanent molar with irreversible pulpitis and condensing apical periodontitis. J Conserv Dent .2011; 14(1): 90. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0972-0707.80733
- Khorakian F, Mazhari F, Asgary S, Sahebnasagh M, Kaseb AA, Movahhed T, et al. Two-year outcomes of electrosurgery and calcium-enriched mixture pulpotomy in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2014:1-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40368-013-0102-z
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.