There are several know cases of forests serving as camping sites for rebel or insurgents groups that launch attacks on government forces or the local people. In the continent of Africa not only forests but even forest reserves and national parks were strong holds of rebels, insurgents or other groups engage in launching attacks. This paper assesses the security threats posed by Ruma/Kukar Jangarai forest reserve to Batsari local government area Katsina State. Data for the study were generated from field visits, field observation and interview with the local people some of who are affected by the insecurity situation. The results indicated five main threats posed by the forest reserve and the people responsible for creating the threats. The results also indicate that the attacks were on weekly basis and the valuables lost include human lives, money in cash, cattle, women and girls. There are however responses from the security agents and the local people towards overcoming the threats which have not effective towards eliminating the threats. It is therefore recommended urgent and decisive measures should be taken by the new government in Katsina State towards overcoming the threats posed by the forest reserve to Batsari local government area.
Assessing, security, threats, posed, forest reserve
- Babsal and Co. Limited (1998). Katsina State Environmental Action Plan. Final Report. Federal Environmental Protection Agency under World Bank Assisted Programme, Ikeja – Lagos.
- Balal, A. (2014). How Cattle Rustling is Choking Katsina www.dailytrust.com.ng/---/17545-how-cattle-rustling
- Bawa, G. M. (2012). Katsina State: Pictorial and historical sketches. The First Twenty Five Years (1987 – 2012).
- Bello, Y. Yusuf U. B. and Charanchi, A. S. (2014). Principal Component Analysis of Crime Victimizations in Katsina Senatorial Zone International Journal of Science and Technology 3(4): 192 – 202.
- Danjuma, J. (2014). Battling the Wanton Activities of Cattle Rustlers in Katsina. www.citynewsline.com.ng/news/battling-the-wanton-activities
- Elazeh, M. (2014). Worries over Cattle Rustling, Rape in Katsina leadership.ng/features.ng/features/343656/worries
- Fearn, E. ( 2010 ). Protecting Wildlife in Conflict Zones http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8835791.stm
- Edward, O. O. (2014). Conflict Between Fulani Herders and Farmers in Central and Southern Nigeria: Discourse on Proposed Establishment of Grazing Routes and Reserve. International Journal of Arts and Humanities 3(1): 66-84.
- IRIN (2013). Bandits Attack Displace Northern Nigeria Traders www.irinnews.org/fr/.../bandit-attack-displace
- Jari, A. (2011). Improving Environmental conservation in Ruma/Kukar Jangarai Forest Reserve in Katsina State against Plant Specie Loss for National Development. Paper presented a 53rd Annual conference of association of Nigerian Geographers. Lagos State University, Ojo Lagos State.
- Ladan, S. O. (2014a). Examining Human – Wildlife Conflict in Africa http://dx.doi.org/10.15242/IICBE.C0314043
- Ladan, S. I. (2014b). Forest and Forest Reserves as Security Threats in Northern Nigeria. European Scientific Journal 10(35): 120-142.
- Okoli, A. C. and Okpaleke, F. N. (2014). Cattle Rustling and Dialects of Security in Northern Nigeria International Journal of Liberal Arts and Social Science 2(3): 109-117.
- Rugu Katsina (2011). Rugu People of Katsina State. Background and History. www.rugukatsina.blog.spot.com
- United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP)(2012). A Hiding Place for Fighting forces and a Refuge for victims www.unep.org/vitalforest/...VFG-05-A-
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.