Alternative medicines have long offered opportunities for patients and doctors to treat illness. While many doctors and patients are uncomfortable with alternative medicines the use of non-traditional therapies has never been more popular. Being uncomfortable with alternative medicines can result from traditional doctors receiving little training in those fields and that patients have a difficult time finding quantifiable data on treatments resulting from the lack of funding for research into these fields1. Naturopathic medicine is one of the many forms of alternative medicine. It is a distinct primary care profession that focusses on several principles in order to care for patients. Naturopathic medicine should be promoted as an adjuvant therapy but not as a true replacement to modern medicine.
- Mayo Clinic Staff. Complementary and alternative medicine. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/in-depth/alternative-medicine/art-20045267 (accessed April 2015).
- . Definition of Naturopathic Medicine. http://www.naturopathic.org/content.asp?contentid=59 (accessed April 2015).
- Ratté P ND. Naturopathy. http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/explore-healing-practices/naturopathy (accessed April 2015).
- Furnham A, Smith C. Choosing alternative medicine: a comparison of the beliefs of patients visiting a general practitioner and a homoeopath.. Social Science & Medicine 1988; 26(7): . http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3358143 (accessed April 2015).
- Price D, Finniss D, Benedetti F. A Comprehensive Review of the Placebo Effect: Recent Advances and Current Thought. Annual Review of Psychology 2008; 59(): . http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev.psych.59.113006.095941?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3dpubmed& (accessed April 2015).
- Miller FG, Colloca L, Kaptchuk TJ . The placebo effect: illness and interpersonal healing. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 2009; 52(4): . http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2814126/ (accessed April 2015).
- Krueger A. 6 Ways Technology is Improving Healthcare. http://www.businessinsider.com/6-ways-technology-is-improving-healthcare-2010-12# (accessed April 2015).
- Jayanthi A. 10 Biggest Technological Advancements for Healthcare in the Last Decade. http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/healthcare-information-technology/10-biggest-technological-advancements-for-healthcare-in-the-last-decade.html (accessed April 2015).
- Ortiz E, Clancy C. Use of Information Technology to Improve the Quality of Health Care in the United States. Health Services Research 2003; 38(2): . http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360897/ (accessed April 2015).
- Herper M. The Most Important New Drug Of 2014. http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/12/30/the-most-important-new-drug-of-2014/ (accessed April 2015).
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.