Author(s): Luis Cesar Fava Spessoto, Thiago Litaiff Padilha, Fernando Nestor Facio Junior, Fábio Augusto Vasilceac, Pedro Francisco Ferraz de Arruda, Marcio Gatti, José Germano Ferraz de Arruda, Daniel Pessutti, Thiago Antoniassi
Testicular self-mutilation is an unusual type of urologic trauma in the emergency room. Frequently related with psychiatric disorders and drug abuse, it demands careful management during the initial assessment and follow-up. We present a unique case of self-mutilation in a patient with no reported psychiatric disorders.
Genital, Self-Mutilation, Hypogonadism, Urologic Trauma
- Ahsaini M, Tazi F, Khalouk A, Lahlaidi K, Bouazzaoui A, Stuurman-Wieringa RE, Elfassi MJ, Farih MH: Bilateral testicular self-castration due to cannabis abuse: a case report. J Med Case Reports 2011;5:404. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1752-1947-5-404
- Anand JS, Habrat B, Barwina M, Waldman W: Repeated self-mutilation of testicles in the context of methamphetamine use: a case report and brief review of literature. J Forensic Leg Med 2015;30:1-3. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2014.12.003
- Charan SH, Reddy CMPK: Genital self mutilation in withdrawal state complicated with delirium. Indian J Psychol Med 2011;33:188-190. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0253-7176.92045
- Greilsheimer H, Groves JE: Male genital self-mutilation. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1979;36:441-446.
- Kumar P, Kumar N, Thakur DS, Patidar A: Male hypogonadism: symptoms and treatment. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2010;1:297-301. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0110-5558.72420
- Lok U, Gulacti U, Benlioglu C, Buyukaslan H, Aktas N: Self mutilation of genitalia-using teeth. J Clin Diagn Res 2014;8:179-180. http://dx.doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2014/7552.4052.
- Mago V: Male genital self-mutilation. Indian J Psychiatry 2011;53:168-169. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0019-5545.82555
- Myers WC, Nguyen M: Autocastration as a presenting sign of incipient schizophrenia. Psychiatr Serv 2001;52:685-686.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.