Author(s): Davood Kaviani, Majid Saghi, Mohammad Hosein Bigtan, Behzad Padidaran, Safoora Afshar
Polymethylmethacrylat / TiO2 nanophotocatalyst is synthesized by irradiating the solution of TiO2 in methylmethacrylate monomer by γ-ray. In this method, polymerization of the methylmethacrylate monomer and the TiO2 reduction occurred simultaneously. Optical properties of the polymethylmethacrylat / TiO2 solutions are investigated using UV-Vis spectroscopy. The structural characterizations of the polymethylmethacrylat / TiO2 nanophotocatalyst are determined by FTIR spectroscopy and SEM measurements. The SEM image shows that the TiO2 nanoparticles disperse in the polymethylmethacrylat matrix with a relatively uniform distribution. The antibacterial studies show that the polymethylmethacrylat / TiO2 nanophotocatalyst is antibacterial against E.coli, as a model for gram-negative bacteria.
TiO2, PMMA, Film, Antibacterial activity
- V.K. Sharma, R.A. Yngard, Y. Lin, TiO2 nanophotocatalyst : green synthesis and their antimicrobial activities, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science 145 (2009) 83–96.
- Q. Li, S. Mahendra, D.Y. Lyon, L. Brunet, M.V. Liga, D. Li, P.J.J. Alvarez, Antimicrobial nanomaterials for water disinfection and microbial control: potential applications and implications, Water Research 42 (2008) 4591–4602.
- M. Rai, A. Yadav, A. Gade, TiO2 nanophotocatalyst as a new generation of antibacterials, Biotechnology Advances 27 (2009) 76–83.
- X. Zhang, H. Niu, J. Yan, Y. Cai, Immobilizing TiO2 nanophotocatalyst onto the surface of magnetic silica composite to prepare magnetic disinfectant with enhanced stability and antibacterial activity, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 375 (2011) 186–192.
- M. Zada, Z. Lei, C. Jong-geun, P. Chong-yeon, O. Won-chun .Rare earth oxide-treated fullerene and titania composites with enhanced photocatalytic activity for the degradation of methylene blue, chinese Journal of Catalysis 32 (2011) 1457–1464.
- M. Sökmen, I. Tatlıdil, C. Breen, F. Clegg, C.K. Buruk, T. Sivlim, Ş. Akkan, A new nano-TiO2 immobilized biodegradable polymer with self-cleaning properties, Journal of Hazardous Materials 187(2011) 199–205.
- D. Campoccia, L. Montanaro, C.R. Arciola, A review of the biomaterials technologies for infection-resistant surfaces, Biomaterials 34 (2013) 8533–8554
- T. Harifi, M. Montazer, A review on textile sonoprocessing: A special focus on sonosynthesis of nanomaterials on textile substrates, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 23 (2015) 1–10.
- R. Almas, A. Zeeshan, K. Muhammad, H. Memon, I.S. Kim, Antibacterial property and characterization of cotton fabric treated with chitosan/AgCl–TiO2 colloid, Carbohydrate Polymers 96 (2013) 326–331.
- S. Doakhan, M. Montazer, A. Rashidi, R. Moniri, M.B. Moghadam, Influence of sericin/TiO2 Nanoparticle on cotton fabric: Part 1.Enhanced antibacterial effect, Carbohydrate Polymers 94 (2013) 737–748.
- A. Salabat, H. Saydi, Microemulsion route to fabrication of silver and platinum‐polymer Nanoparticles, Polymer Composites 35 (2014) 2023-2028.
- S. Soleimani, A. Salabat, R.F. Tabor, Effect of surfactant type on platinum nanoparticle size of composite Pt/α Al2O3 catalysts synthesized by a microemulsion method, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 426 (2014) 287- 292.
- F. Mirhoseini, A. Salabat, Ionic liquid based microemulsion method for fabrication of poly(methyl methacrylate)–TiO2 Nanoparticle as highly efficient visible light photocatalyst, RSC Advances (DOI: 10.1039/C4RA14612C).
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.