Author(s): Meirong Wei, Shuzhen Liu, Song Liu, Xiaofeng Wang
Background: Various polymorphisms in toll like receptor (TLR) genes have been identified and are associated with susceptibility to various malignancies, such as gastric carcinoma (GC), hepatocellular carcinoma, papillary thyroid cancer, and prostate cancer. However, little is known about the polymorphisms of TLR genes and the susceptibility to GC in Northern China, especially to Epstein–Barr virus associated GC (EBVaGC). The aim of our study was to evaluate the potential associations between the single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of TLR genes and the risk of GC, especially to EBVaGC. Methods: Polymorphisms of the TLR4 (rs10759932 and rs11536889) gene were assessed by polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) in 43 cases of EBVaGC and 110 cases of EBV negative GC (EBVnGC). 100 cases of peripheral blood samples from healthy individuals were also examined. Results: As for the TLR4 gene rs10759932, there was significant differences between the GC group and the control group in both genotype and allelic frequency. As for the TLR4 gene rs11536889, there was no association between the GC group and control. In all the indicators, no polymorphisms were found to be related to EBVaGC in the studied population. Conclusions: The polymorphisms of TLR4 gene rs10759932 were associated with susceptibility to GC in Shandong Province of China. There was no interaction between EBV and TLR gene polymorphisms in EBVaGC.
Gastric Carcinoma, Epstein-Barr Virus Associated Gastric Carcinoma, Toll Like Receptor Gene Polymorphisms
- Janssens S, Beyaert R. Role of Toll-like receptors in pathogen recognition. Clin Microbiol Rev 2003;16(4):637-646.
- Akira S, Takeda K, Kaisho T. Toll-like receptors: critical proteins linking innate and acquired immunity. Nat Immunol 2001;2(8):675-680.
- Medvedev AE. Toll-like receptor polymorphisms, inflammatory and infectious diseases, allergies, and cancer. J Interferon Cytokine Res 2013;33(9):467-484.
- Peek RM, Jr., Fiske C, Wilson KT. Role of innate immunity in Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric malignancy. Physiol Rev 2010;90(3):831-858.
- Kutikhin AG. Impact of Toll-like receptor 4 polymorphisms on risk of cancer. Hum Immunol 2011;72(2):193-206.
- Roses RE, Xu M, Koski GK, et al. Radiation therapy and Toll-like receptor signaling: implications for the treatment of cancer. Oncogene 2008;27(2):200-207.
- Macagno A, Napolitani G, Lanzavecchia A, et al. combination and timing: the signal integration model of dendritic cell activation. Trends Immunol 2007;28(5):227-233.
- Xu S, Koski GK, Faries M, et al. Rapid high efficiency sensitization of CD8+ T cells to tumor antigens by dendritic cells leads to enhanced functional avidity and direct tumor recognition through an IL-12-dependent mechanism. J Immunol 2003;171(5):2251-2261.
- Lochhead P, El-Omar EM. Gastric cancer. Br Med Bull 2008;85:87-100.
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. Int J Cancer 2015;136(5):E359-386.
- Brenner H, Rothenbacher D, Arndt V. Epidemiology of stomach cancer. Methods Mol Biol 2009;472:467-477.
- Goh KL, Cheah PL, Md N, et al. pylori as risk factors for gastric cancer in Malaysia: A prospective case control study. Am J Gastroenterol 2007;102(1):40-45.
- Correa P. A human model of gastric carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 1988;48(13):3554-3560.
- Scholte GH, van Doorn LJ, Cats A, et al. Genotyping of Helicobacter pylori in paraffin-embedded gastric biopsy specimens: relation to histological parameters and effects on therapy. Am J Gastroenterol 2002;97(7):1687-1695.
- Fukayama M, Chong JM, Kaizaki Y. Epstein-Barr virus and gastric carcinoma. Gastric Cancer 1998;1(2):104-114.
- Luzuriaga K, Sullivan JL. Infectious mononucleosis. N Engl J Med 2010;362(21):1993-2000.
- Finberg RW, Kurt-Jones EA. Viruses and Toll-like receptors. Microbes Infect 2004;6(15):1356-1360.
- Hopkins PA, Sriskandan S. Mammalian Toll-like receptors: to immunity and beyond. Clin Exp Immunol 2005;140(3):395-407.
- Hold GL, Rabkin CS, Chow WH, et al. A functional polymorphism of toll-like receptor 4 gene increases risk of gastric carcinoma and its precursors. Gastroenterology 2007;132(3):905-912.
- Garza-Gonzalez E, Bosques-Padilla FJ, Mendoza-Ibarra SI, et al. Assessment of the toll-like receptor 4 Asp299Gly, Thr399Ile and interleukin-8 -251 polymorphisms in the risk for the development of distal gastric cancer. BMC Cancer 2007;7:70.
- Tahara T, Arisawa T, Wang F, et al. Toll-like receptor 2 -196 to 174del polymorphism influences the susceptibility of Japanese people to gastric cancer. Cancer Sci 2007;98(11):1790-1794.
- Wu MS, Cheng TY, Shun CT, et al. Functional polymorphisms of CD14 and toll-like receptor 4 in Taiwanese Chinese with Helicobacter pylori-related gastric malignancies. Hepatogastroenterology 2006;53(71):807-810.
- de Oliveira JG, Silva AE. Polymorphisms of the TLR2 and TLR4 genes are associated with risk of gastric cancer in a Brazilian population. World J Gastroenterol 2012;18(11):1235-1242.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al. Global cancer statistics, 2002. Ca-a Cancer Journal for Clinicians 2005;55(2):74-108.
- Hamajima N, Saito T, Matsuo K, et al. Polymerase chain reaction with confronting two-pair primers for polymorphism genotyping. Jpn J Cancer Res 2000;91(9):865-868.
- Pasare C, Medzhitov R. Toll-like receptors: linking innate and adaptive immunity. Microbes Infect 2004;6(15):1382-1387.
- El-Omar EM, Ng MT, Hold GL. Polymorphisms in Toll-like receptor genes and risk of cancer. Oncogene 2008;27(2):244-252.
- Smith MF, Jr., Mitchell A, et al. Toll-like receptor (TLR) 2 and TLR5, but not TLR4, are required for Helicobacter pylori-induced NF-kappa B activation and chemokine expression by epithelial cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2003;278(35):32552-32560.
- Kato I, Canzian F, Plummer M, et al. Polymorphisms in genes related to bacterial lipopolysaccharide/peptidoglycan signaling and gastric precancerous lesions in a population at high risk for gastric cancer. Dig Dis Sci 2007;52(1):254-261.
- Perez-Piqueras J, Jaqueti J, Navarro-Gallar F, et al. [Prevalence of serum markers of hepatitis B virus, in health personnel at a general hospital]. Rev Esp Enferm Apar Dig 1989;76(6 Pt 2):609-611.
- Liu S, Wang X, Shi Y, et al. Toll-like receptor gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to Epstein-Barr virus-associated and -negative gastric carcinoma in Northern China. Saudi J Gastroenterol 2015;21(2):95-103.
- Huang H, Wu J, Jin G, et al. A 5'-flanking region polymorphism in toll-like receptor 4 is associated with gastric cancer in a Chinese population. J Biomed Res 2010;24(2):100-106.
- Zhou L, Wei B, Xing C, et al. Polymorphism in 3'-untranslated region of toll-like receptor 4 gene is associated with protection from hepatitis B virus recurrence after liver transplantation. Transpl Infect Dis 2011;13(3):250-258.
- Hishida A, Matsuo K, Goto Y, et al. Toll-like receptor 4 +3725 G/C polymorphism, Helicobacter pylori seropositivity, and the risk of gastric atrophy and gastric cancer in Japanese. Helicobacter 2009;14(1):47-53.
- Zhang K, Zhou B, Wang Y, et al. The TLR4 gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer 2013;49(4):946-954.
- Castano-Rodriguez N, Kaakoush NO, Pardo AL, et al. Genetic polymorphisms in the Toll-like receptor signalling pathway in Helicobacter pylori infection and related gastric cancer. Hum Immunol 2014;75(8):808-815.
- Petrara MR, Freguja R, Gianesin K, et al. Epstein-Barr virus-driven lymphomagenesis in the context of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. Front Microbiol 2013;4:311.
- van Gent M, Braem SG, de Jong A, et al. Epstein-Barr virus large tegument protein BPLF1 contributes to innate immune evasion through interference with toll-like receptor signaling. PLoS Pathog 2014;10(2):e1003960.
- Moumad K, Lascorz J, Bevier M, et al. Genetic polymorphisms in host innate immune sensor genes and the risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in North Africa. G3 (Bethesda) 2013;3(6):971-977.
- He JF, Jia WH, Fan Q, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of TLR3 are associated with Nasopharyngeal carcinoma risk in Cantonese population. BMC Cancer 2007;7:194.
- Valente RM, Ehlers E, Xu D, et al. Toll-like receptor 7 stimulates the expression of Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein 1. PLoS One 2012;7(8):e43317.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.