The study of the microbiology and proximate composition of fluted pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis (F) Hook) leaves and seeds was carried out. Official methods of analysis were employed. The results of the proximate analysis of the fluted pumpkin leaves were 65.40% moisture, 6.51% ash, 4.24% protein, 1.3% fat, 2.57% fibre and 20.98% carbohydrate while the seeds contained 3.40% moisture 3.40% ash,37.85% protein, 39.80% fat, 3.44% fibre and 12.51% carbohydrate. The results of the total aerobic counts were 1.45±0.01x103 cfu/mg and 1.25± 0.01 x 102 cfu/mg for the bacteria and fungi respectively for of the leaves but the seeds recorded no growth. Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Serratia marcescens and Enterobacter aerogenes were the bacteria isolates and Aspergillus sp, Candida albicans, Fusarium sp and Penicillum sp were the fungi isolates from the surface of the pumpkin leaves.
Microbiology, Proximate Composition, Fluted Pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis (F) Hook), enteric pathogens, normal flora
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington D. C., Pp. 20-28.
- AOAC, (2005). Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington D. C., Pp. 45-56.
- Akoroda, M. O. (1990). Ethnobotany of Telfairia occidentalis (cucurbitaceae) among Igbos of Nigeria. Economic Botany, 44, 31 – 39.
- Battese, G. E. & Coelli, T. J. (1995). A model for technical inefficiency effects in a stochastic frontier production function for panel data. Journal of Econometrics 13, 5-25.
- Buck, A., Uba, A. and Oyeyi, T.I. (2010). Antimicrobial profile of Moringa oleifera extracts against some foodborne microorganisms.. Bayero Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences 3:43-48.
- Cheesbrough, M. (2002). Biochemical Tests to Identify Bacteria in, Medical Laboratory Practice for Tropical Countries, Butherworth- Heinenman, Cambridge, Pp. 63-70.
- Cherry JP. 1999. Improving the safety of fresh produce with antimicrobials. Food Technol 53(11):54-7.
- Eberhardt, M, V., Lee, C, Y. & Liu, R, H. (2000). Antioxidant activity of fresh apples.Nature. 405:903–4
- Ekeanyanwu, C., Okigilo. R, Gideon, B. & Nwachukwu, U. (2010). Biochemical Characteristics of the African Nutmeg, Monodora myristica, Medwell Journal of Agriculture, 5(5):303-308.
- Gafar, M. K., Hassan, L. G., Dangoggo, S. M. & Hod, A. U. (2010). Amino acid Estimation and Phytochemical Screening of Indigofera astrageline leaves, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2:277-285.
- Gordon, M. N. (2000). Contemporary Nutrition’s Issues and Insight, McGraw Hill Inc, New York, Pp. 55.
- Hott,J.G.,Krireg,N.R.,Senath,P.H.A..,Stanley,J.T.& Williams,S.T.(1994). Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology.(9th edition)Baltimore,Williams and Wilkins.
- Idris, S. (2011). Compositional Studies of Telfairia Occidentalis Leaves. American Journal of Chemistry 1(2): 56-59
- Imaga NA, Gbenle GO, Okochi VI, Adenekan S, et al. Phytochemical and antioxidant nutrient constituents of Carica papaya and Parquetina nigrescens extracts. Scientific Research and Essays, 5(16), 2010, 2201-2205.
- Karim, N. A., & Wee, M. M. B. (1996). Role of Women in vegetable Agribusiness. Vegetable Crops Agribusiness Proceedings, 97, 177-182.
- Knor,D, (1998). Technology aspects related to Microorganisms in functional food Sci, 9:295-306.
- Lennox, J.A. and Efiuvwevwere, B.J.O. (2012). Microbiology of freshly harvested and market retailed cucumber. Asian Journal of Science and Technology 4(11):071-073.
- Luc, R. H. (2004). Potential Synergy or Phytochemicals in Cancer Prevention: Mechanism of Action, Journal of Nutrition, 134:3479-3485.
- Montville ,T.K., & Matthews, K,R.(2008).Food Microbiology: an Introduction ASM.Pp.362-ISBN 978-5558.,1-396-3.
- Norman, N. P & Joseph, H. H. (1995). Food Science 5th Edition, Champman and Hall Publishers, New York, P. 55.
- Odoemena, C. S. & Onyeneke, E. C. (1998). Lipids of fluted pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis) seeds. Proceedings of the 1st African Conference on Biochemistry of Lipids, (ACBL'98). Benin City, Nigeria: Ambik Press, 147-151. Ossom, E. M., Igbokwe, J. R. & Rhykerd, C. L. (1998). Effects of mixed fertilizer levels and harvest intervals on the yield and mineral concentration of the fluted pumpkin, Telfairia occidentalis Hook. Proc. Indiana Acad. Sci., 105, 169-176.
- Tournas, V.H. (2005) Spoilage of vegetable crops by bacteria and fungi and related health hazards. Crit Rev Microbiol3:33–44.
- Walker HW, LaGrange WS. (1991). Sanitation in food manufacturing operations. In: Block SE, editor. Disinfection, sterilization, and preservation. 4th ed. Philadelphia (PA
- Yusuf, A.A., Adewuyi, S., Lasisi, A.A. (2006). Physico chemical composition of leaves, meals and oils of fluted pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis) and melon (Citrillus vulgaris). Agricultural Journal 1(1): 32-35.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.