Alternative medicine can commonly be thought of as the use of homeopathy, acupuncture, or herbalism. Despite this stereotype, uncharted scientific research could be considered alternative medicine. In recent years, new oncology research has arisen in the form of synthesized organic nanomaterials for photothermal ablation of cancer cells. This relatively new process has numerous benefits but has remained untapped by medical professionals thus far. Considering that the benefits of photothermal ablation far outweigh the benefits of current cancer treatment options, the practice should receive more encouragement and recognition from the scientific community.
- Cheng L, Yang K, Chen Q, and Liu Z. Organic Stealth Nanoparticles for Highly Effective in Vivo Near-Infrared Photothermal Therapy of Cancer. ACS Nano [Internet]. 2012 May [Cited 2015 Apr 12]; 6(6): 5605-5613.
- Yang J, Choi J, Bang D, Kim E, Lim EK, Park H, Suh JS, Lee K, Yoo KH, Kim EK, Huh YM, and Haam S. Convertible Organic Nanoparticles for Near-Infrared Photothermal Ablation of Cancer Cells. Angew(andte Chemie) [Internet]. 2011 Jan [Cited 2015 Apr 11]; 123(2): 461–464.
- Wang C, Chen J, Talavage T, and Irudayaraj J. Gold Nanorod/Fe3O4 Nanoparticle “Nano-Pearl-Necklaces” for Simultaneous Targeting, Dual-Mode Imaging, and Photothermal Ablation of Cancer Cells . Angew. Chem. [Internet]. 2009 Mar [Cited Apr 10]; 121(15): 2797–2801.
- American Cancer Society. Chemotherapy Side Effects. American cancer Society, Inc.; 2015 [Cited 2015 Apr 12].
- Nguyen Q. Color-Coded Surgery. [Internet] 20011 Oct [Cited 2015 Apr 12].
- O'neal D, Hirsch L, Halas N, Payne J and West J. Photo-thermal Tumor Ablation in Mice Using near Infrared-absorbing Nanoparticles. [Internet]. 2004. [Cited April 15 2015]:171-176.
- Sharifi S., Behzadi S, Laurent S, Forrest ML, Stroeve P, Mahmoudi M. Toxicity of nanomaterials.Chem Soc Rev. [Internet]. 2012 Mar [Cited 2015 Apr 14]; 41(6): 2323-43.
- Mogharabi M, Abdollahi M, and Faramarzi MA. Toxicity of nanomaterials; an undermined issue. DARU Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences [Internet]. 2014 [Cited April 15 2015]; 22(1), 59.
- Maltzahn G, Park J-H, Agrawal A, Bandaru NK, Das SK, Sailor MJ, and Bhatia SN Computationally Guided Photothermal Tumor Therapy Using Long-Circulating Gold Nanorod Antennas. Cancer Res [Internet]. 2009 Apr [Cited 2015 Apr 12]; 69(9):3892–900.
- Tian O, Jiang F, Zou R, Liu O, Chen Z, Zhu M, Yang S, Wang Jin, Wang Jia, and Hu J. Hydrophilic Cu9S5 Nanocrystals: A Photothermal Agent with a 25.7% Heat Conversion Efficiency for Photothermal Ablation of Cancer Cells in Vivo. ACS Nano [Internet]. 2011 Nov [Cited 2015 Apr 13]; 5 (12): 9761-9771.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.