The company Novocure has developed a viable chemotherapy alternative in the form of electric field therapy. This Novocure product has been given FDA approval for recurrent glioblastoma. However, they currently have Phase I, Phase II and Phase III clinical trials underway for a variety of other cancers. The treatment is a noninvasive monotherapy and incorporates Tumor Treating Fields to interrupt mitotic division in rapidly dividing cells with a low number of adverse effects. Dr. Palti spearheaded this product and has outreached to over 2,200 patients, allowing them to receive treatment without major lifestyle modifications.
- American Cancer Society, Inc. Cancer Facts and Figures 2014 [Internet]. 2014 [cited May 2 2015]. Available from: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@research/documents/webcontent/acspc-042151.pdf
- American Cancer Society, Inc, Evolution of cancer treatments: Chemotherapy [Internet]. 2014 [cited May 4 2015]. Available from: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerbasics/thehistoryofcancer/the-history-of-cancer-cancer-treatment-chemo
- American Cancer Society, Inc. Evolution of cancer treatments: Surgery [Internet]. 2014 [cited May 4 2015]. Available from: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerbasics/thehistoryofcancer/the-history-of-cancer-cancer-treatment-surgery
- American Cancer Society, Inc, Evolution of cancer treatments: Radiation [Internet]. 2014 [cited May 4 2015]. Available from: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerbasics/thehistoryofcancer/the-history-of-cancer-cancer-treatment-radiation
- Novocure. Our History [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2015 May 2 2015]. Available from: http://www.novocure.com/about-us/our-history.aspx
- Davies AM, Weinber U, Palti Y (2103) Tumor treating fields: a new frontier in cancer therapy. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1291:86-95. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23659608
- FDA. Summary of Safety and Effectiveness Data (SSED) on NovoTTF-100A System [Internet]. 2012 Dec 6 [cited 2015 May 2 2015]. Available from: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf10/p100034b.pdf
- Optune™. Explore the System [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2015 May 2 2015]. Available from: http://www.optune.com/therapy/explore-therapy.aspx
- Kirson ED, Gurvich Z, Schneiderman R, Dekel E, Itzhaki A, et al. (2004) Disruption of cancer cell replication by alternating electric fields. Cancer Res. 64(9):3288-95. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15126372
- Giladi M, Weinberg U, Schneiderman RS, Porat Y, Munster M, et al. (2014) Alternating electric fields (tumor-treating fields therapy) can improve chemotherapy treatment efficacy in non-small cell lung cancer both in vitro and in vivo. Semin Oncol. Suppl 6:S35-41. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25213867
- Novocure. Our Therapy [Internet]. 2014 [cited May 2, 2015]. Available from: http://www.novocure.com/our-therapy.aspx
- Novocure. Our Pipeline [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2015 May 2 2015]. Available from: http://www.novocure.com/our-pipeline.aspx
- Fonkem E, Wong ET (2012) NovoTTF-100A: a new treatment modality for recurrent glioblastoma. Expert review of neurotherapeutics 12(8):895-9. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22708931
- Eilin DK, Moshe G, Zoya G, Aviran I, Daniel M, et al. (2009) Alternating electric fields (TTFields) inhibit metastatic spread of solid tumors to the lungs. Clinical & Experimental Metastasis 26(7):633-640. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2776150/
- Novocure. [Internet]. 2014 [cited May 7 2015]. Available from: http://www.novocure.com
- Optune™. Instructions for Use [Internet]. 2014 Nov [cited 2015 May 2 2015]. Available from: http://www.optune.com/Content/pdfs/Optune_IFU_8.5x11.pdf
- Lacouture ME, Davis ME, Elazinga G, Butowski N, Tran D, et al. (2014) Characterization and management of dermatological adverse events with the NovoTTF-100A System, a novel anti-mitotic electric field device for the treatment of recurrent glioblastoma. Semin Oncol. Volume 41 Suppl 4:S1-S14 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24794308
- Optune™. Applying Transducer Arrays [Internet]. 2014 [cited May 2 2015]. Available from: http://www.optune.com/how-to-use/applying-arrays.aspx
- FDA. Executive Summary P100034 NovoCure Ltd. USA [Internet]. 2011 Mar. 17 [cited 2015 May 2 2015]. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/MedicalDevices/MedicalDevicesAdvisoryCommittee/NeurologicalDevicesPanel/UCM247246.doc
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.