Author(s): Aline Cristine Salum Fernandes Maia, Francisco Pedro Pinheiro, José Germano Ferraz de Arruda, Luis César Fava Spessoto, Pedro Francisco Ferraz de Arruda, Fernando Nestor Fácio Júnior
While not lethal, erectile dysfunction (ED) can negatively affect the quality of life of patients. The objective of this study was to investigate cardiovascular risk factors (CRF) associated with ED, taking into account their sociodemographic characteristics. Possible correlations between the degree of ED and CRF were investigated. Fifty-six patients with ED, with ages ranging from 38 to 79 years (mean of 57.4 ± 8.4 years), with or without CRF were prospectively studied. ED was classified as mild, moderate or severe using the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF). Demographic (age, marital status, number of children, education level and place of residence) and clinical data relating to CRF [high blood pressure (hypertension), diabetes, alcoholism, weight and smoking] were obtained by applying a questionnaire. Frequency tables were used to assess the association of the degree of ED with sociodemographic and clinical variables. Most patients were married (82.1%) had children (85.7%) and incomplete primary education (73.3%). Moreover, most participants had severe ED (75%), followed by moderate (17.9%) and mild (7.1%). Hypertension was the most common CRF (53.6%) followed by diabetes, obesity, alcohol consumption and smoking. No significant association was found when the mean age and body mass index were evaluated in respect to the degree of ED. Moreover, no significant correlation was found for the degree of ED in relation to hypertension, diabetes, smoking and alcohol consumption. Most hypertensive patients and nearly half of the smokers and ex-smokers had grade 3 ED. Grade 3 ED in this study may be related to the high frequency of concomitant CRF associated to ED however there was no significant association between ED in general and CRF.
erectile dysfunction, risk factors, cardiovascular disease
- Abdo CHN, Oliveira Jr WM, Scanavino MT, Martins FG. Disfunção erétil: resultados do estudo da vida sexual do brasileiro. Rev Assoc Med Bras 2006;52:424-429.
- Almogbel TA. Erectile dysfunction and other sexual activity dysfunctions among Saudi type 2 diabetic patients. Int J Health Sci (Qassim) 2014;8:347-59.
- Böhm M, Baumhäkel M, Teo K, Sleight P, Probstfield J, Gao P, et al. Erectile dysfunction predicts cardiovascular events in high-risk patients receiving telmisartan, ramipril, or both: The Ongoing Telmisartan Alone and in combination with Ramipril Global Endpoint Trial/Telmisartan Randomized Assessment Study in ACE intolerant subjects with cardiovascular Disease (ONTARGET/TRANSCEND) Trials. Circulation 2010;121:1439-46.
- Bortolotti A, Fedele D, Chatenoud L, Colli E, Coscelli C, Landoni M, et al. Cigarette smoking: a risk factor for erectile dysfunction in diabetics. Eur Urol 2001;40:392-6.
- Cheng JY, Ng EM, Chen RY, Ko JS. Alcohol consumption and erectile dysfunction: meta-analysis of population-based studies. Int J Impot Res 2007;19:343-52.
- Chew KK, Bremner A, Jamrozik K, Earle C, Stuckey B. Male erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease: is there an intimate nexus? J Sex Med 2008;5:928-34.
- Chung WS, Sohn JH, Park YY. Is obesity an underlying factor in erectile dysfunction? Eur Urol 1999;36:68-70.
- Hatzimouratidis K, Amar E, Eardley I, Giuliano F, Hatzichristou D, Montorsi F et al. Guidelines on male sexual dysfunction: erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Eur Urol 2010;57:804-14.
- Hotaling JM, Walsh TJ, Macleod LC, Heckbert S, Pocobelli G, Wessells H, et al. Erectile dysfunction is not independently associated with cardiovascular death: data from the Vitamin and Lifestyle (VITAL) study. J Sex Med 2012;9:2104-10.
- Kawanishi Y, Lee KS, Kimura K, Koizumi T, Nakatsuji H, Kojima K, et al. Screening of ischemic heart disease with cavernous artery blood flow in erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res 2001;13:100-103.
- Kupelian V, Link CL, McKinlay JB. Association between smoking, passive smoking, and erectile dysfunction: results from the Boston Area Community Health (BACH) survey. Eur Urol 2007;52:416-22.
- Lee AC, Ho LM, Yip AW, Fan S, Lam TH. The effect of alcohol drinking on erectile dysfunction in Chinese men. Int J Impot Res 2010;22:272-8.
- Lewington S, Clarke R, Qizilbash N, Peto R, Collins R, for the Prospective Studies Collaboration. Age-specific relevance of usual blood pressure to vascular mortality: a meta-analysis of individual data for one million adults in 61 prospective studies. Lancet 2002;360:1903-13.
- Lojanapiwat B, Weerusawin T, Kuanprasert S. Erectile dysfunction as a sentinel marker of endothelial dysfunction disease. Singapore Med J 2009;50:698-701.
- López M CM, Heredia V ME, González HR, Rosales PE. Disfunción eréctil en portadores de diabetes mellitus tipo 2 en edad productiva. Rev Med Chil 2013;141:1555-59.
- Malavige LS, Levy JC. Erectile dysfunction in diabetes mellitus. J Sex Med 2009;6:1232-47.
- Montorsi P, Ravagnani PM, Galli S, Ali SG, Briganti A, Salonia A, et al. The triad of endothelial dysfunction, cardiovascular disease, and erectile dysfunction: clinical implications. Eur Urol Suppl 2009;8:58-66.
- Morillo LE, Díaz J, Estevez E, Costa A, Méndez H, Dávila H, et al. Prevalence of erectile dysfunction in Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela: a population-based study (DENSA). Int J Impot Res 2002;14 Suppl 2:S10-8.
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Conference. Impotence. National Institutes of Health Consensus. Development Panel on Impotence. JAMA 1993;270:83-90.
- Nicolosi A, Moreira ED Jr, Shirai M, Bin Mohd Tambi MI, Glasser DB. Epidemiology of erectile dysfunction in four countries: cross-national study of the prevalence and correlates of erectile dysfunction. Urology 2003;61:201-6.
- Phé V, Rouprêt. M. Erectile dysfunction and diabetes: a review of the current evidence-based medicine and a synthesis of the main available therapies. Diabetes Metab. 2012;38:1-13.
- Pinheiro FP, Fernandes-Maia ACS, Arruda JGF, Spessoto LCF, Arruda PFF, Facio Jr FN. relationship between sedentary lifestyle and erectile dysfunction. Int J Sci 2015;4:68-72.
- Pourmand G, Alidaee MR, Rasuli S, Maleki A, Mehrsai A. Do cigarette smokers with erectile dysfunction benefit from stopping ?: a prospective study. BJU Int 2004;94:1310-3.
- Rosen RC, Cappelleri JC, Smith MD, Lipsky J, Peña BM. Development and evaluation and of an abridged, 5-item version of the International Index of Erectile Function (IIFE-5) as a diagnostic tool for erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res 1999;11:319-26.
- Saigal CS, Wessells H, Pace J, Schonlau M, Wilt TJ, Urologic Diseases in America Project. Predictors and prevalence of erectile dysfunction in a racially diverse population. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:207-12.
- Solomon H, Man JW, Wierzbicki AS, Jackson G. Relation of erectile dysfunction to angiographic coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 2003;91:230-1.
- Spessoto LC, Cordeiro JA, Godoy JM. Effect of systemic arterial pressure on erectile dysfunction in the initial stages of chronic arterial insufficiency. BJU Int 2010;106;1723-5.
- Spessoto LC. Influência da hipertensão arterial sistêmica e doença arterial periférica em paciente com disfunção erétil. Tese (doutorado). Faculdade de Medicina de São José do Rio Preto. 2012.
- Thompson IM, Tangen CM, Goodman PJ, Probstfield JL, Moinpour CM, Coltman CA. Erectile dysfunction and subsequent cardiovascular disease. JAMA 2005;294:2996–3002.
- Tostes RC, Carneiro FS, Lee AJ, Giachini FR, Leite R, Osawa Y, et al. Cigarette smoking and erectile dysfunction: focus on NO bioavailability and ROS generation. J Sex Med 2008;5:1284-95.
- Veronelli A, Masu A, Ranieri R, Rognoni C, Laneri M, Pontiroli AE. Prevalence of erectile dysfunction in thyroid disorders: comparison with control subjects and with obese and diabetic patients. Int J Impot Res 2006;18:111-4.
- Walczak MK, Lokhandwala N, Hodge MB, Guay AT. Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in erectile dysfunction. J Gend Specif Med 2002;5:19-24.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.