Field experiments were conducted in 2010 and 2011 to evaluate maize with the objective of determining genetic variation and relationship among yield and yield component traits for simultaneous selection in dry and green maize. Phenotypic variance was mainly accounted for by the genetic component. Heritability was high for flowering, height and ear traits and grain yield. All the traits were positively correlated with grain yield, with the ear traits of kernel rows/cob and kernels/row on cob contributing most to grain yield. The high heritability coupled with the highest genetic advance observed for kernels per row on cob, kernel rows/cob and grain yield at 20% selection intensity indicates that concentrating on these three traits in selection programme will achieve a fast progress in selection. Thus grain yield could be simultaneously selected with kernels per row on cob and kernel rows/cob for improvement in dry and green maize production.
Genetic variation, Simultaneous selection
- Abdulrahman AA and Kolawole OM (2006). Traditional Preparations and Uses of Maize
- in Nigeria. Ethonobotanical leaflets 10: 219 – 227.
- Akinwale RO, Badu-Apraku B and Fakorede MAB (2013). Evaluation of striga-resistant early maize hybrids and test locations under striga-infested and striga-free environments. African Crop Science Journal 21(1): 1 - 19
- Allard RW 1960. Principles of Plant Breeding. 1st Edition. John Willey and sons Inc., New York. Pp. 485
- Bello OB, Azeez MA, Mahmud J, Afolabi MS, Ige SA and Abdulmaliq SY (2012). Evaluation of grain yield and agronomic characteristics in drought-tolerant maize varieties belonging to two maturing groups. Journal of Agricultural Science 2(4), 70-74.
- Bliss FA, Baker LN, Franckowiak JD, Half TC (1973). Genetic and environmental variation of seed yield: Yield Components and Seed protein quantity and quality cowpea. Crop Science 13: 656-660
- Chen J., Xu W., Velten J., Xin Z., and Stout J. (2012). Characterization of maize inbred lines for drought and heat tolerance. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 67 (5): 354 – 364.
- Fajemisin JM (2014). The Revolutionary Trend of Maize in Nigeria: My Memoirs. 1st Edition. Phaloray Book Works, Nigeria. 176 Pp.
- Fehr WR 1987. Principle of Cultivars Development. Macmillan publishing company. A division of Macmillan Inc. New York. Pp.1: 1 – 465.
- Keskin B, Yilmaz IH, Arvas O (2005). Determination of some yield characters of grain corn in eastern Anatolia region of Turkey. Journal of Agronomy. 4(1):14-17.
- Obi, I. U. (1991). Maize, Its Agronomy, Diseases, Pest and Food Values. Optimal computer solutions ltd, Nigeria. 206 pp.
- Oluwaranti A, Fakorede MAB and Badu-Apraku B. (2008). Grain yield of maize varieties of different maturity groups under marginal rainfall conditions. Journal of Agricultural Sciences 53(3): 183 – 199.
- Saleh GB, Alawi SAS and Panjaitan K. (2002). Performance, correlation and heritability studies on selected sweet corn synthetic populations. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 5(3): 251 – 254.
- Urrea-Gomez R, Ceballos H, Pandey S, Bahia-Filho AFC, Leon LA, 1996. A greenhouse screening technique for acid soil tolerance in maize. Agronomy Journal 88: 806 – 812.
- Wattoo F. M., Saleem M., Ahsan M., Sajjad M. and Ali W. (2009). Genetic Analysis for Yield Potential and Quality Traits in Maize (Zea mays L.). American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences 6(6): 723-729,.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.