This study examined the powdered sample of the raw and boiled seeds of thevetia Peruviana, the seeds were analysed for proximate composition, mineral content, while the oil extracted from the seeds were evaluated for physicochemical properties using standard methods. The results of the study showed that the proximate composition (%) of the raw and boiled samples respectively are moisture (2.00 and 2.89), ash (3.33 and 2.96), crude protein (30.10 and 29.6), crude fibre (4.79 and 5.21), crude fat ( 58.3 and 59.20), carbohydrate ( 1.80 and 0.30), and energy (2524.5 and 2521.1) KJ/g. While the physiochemical properties of the extracted oil are acid value (1.71 and 1.41) mg/g, peroxide value (3.85 and 11.51) mg/g, iodine value (83.89 and 76.20) mgKOH/g, saponification value (224.26 and 193.78)mg/g, unsaponification value (2.04 and 1.59)mg/g, density (0.89 and 0.88) g/dm3, specific gravity (0.91 and 0.93), refractive index at 320C (1.46 and 1.47) and viscosity (28.21 and 30.59) pal/sec. The mineral contents of both raw and boiled samples are in the order of P > K > Na > mg > Fe > Ca > Zn > Mn. Cd, Pb, Ca and Cr were detected in raw and boiled samples except Ca that was detected in raw sample. Generally, the high protein and fat contents show that the samples can be used in food and feed formulation while the saponification values, iodine values and the presence of some valuable minerals indicate that they can be used for other industrial purpose.
Thevetia Peruviana, Phytochemical, Proximate, Seed Oil
- Adeniyi O.A and Amoo I.A (2013) Chemical composition and Biodiesel Production from snake Gourd (Trichosanthes cucumerina) seeds. International Journal of science and Research (IJSR), vol 2, issue 1, pp42-46, India online ISSN: 2319- 7064.
- Amoo I.A and Owoeye E.O. (2002)”Nutritional significance of snake Gourd seed “Journal of Technoscience vol.6, pp 1-4.
- Aletor, O. and Ojelabi, A (2007). Comparative Evaluation of the Nutritive and functional Attritubes of some Traditional Nigeria snakes and oil seed cakes. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 6(1); 99-103
- A.O.A.C, (1990): Official method of Analysis (15th Edition). Association of Official Analytical chemist, Washington D.C USA pp. 85-89.
- Asiedu, J.J (1989). Processing Tropical Crops. Macmillan Edu. Ltd; London. Pp 1-22.
- Atasie, V.N; Akinhanmi, T.F and Ojiodu, C.C (2009). Proximate Analysis and physio-chemical properties of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L), Pakistan journal of Nutrition 8 (2): 194-197.
- Cock. L.V. and Rede, V. (1986) Laboratory Handbook for oils and fats Analysts. Academic Press, NewYork, Pp
- Encyclopedia Britannica (2008). Enclopedia Britannica Ultimate Reference Suite.
- Esuoso, K.O and Odetokun, S.M (1995). Proximate chemical composition and possible industrial utilisation of Bliphia Sapida seed and oils. Rivital. Sostanze Grasse, 72, (7) Pp.
- Gupta. R, Kachhawa JB, Gupta RS, Sharma AK, Sharma MC, Dobhal MP (2011) phytochemical evaluation and antispermatogenic activity of Thevetia peruviana methanol extract in male albino rats. Hum. Fertil. (Camb), 14: 53-59.
- Ibiyemi S.A, Fadipe V.O, Akinremi O.O, Bako S.S (2002). The potential of oleander (Thevetia peruviana) in African agricultural and industrial development: a case study of Nigeria; Journal of Applied Bioscience 24: 1477- 1487.
- Jokotagba O.A and Amoo I.A (2012). Phytochemical screening; Nutritional and mineral composition of various parts of calotropics procera (Asclepiadaceae) Journal of laboratory science (JLS) Vol1 No1 pp 48-50.
- Muhammed N.A, Amoo I.A and Adeniyi O.A (2013) Chemical composition of Hura crepitans seeds and antimicrobial activities of its oil. Vol 2 No 3 pp 440-442.
- Odeomelam, S.A (2005). Proximate composition and selected physicochemical properties of seeds of African oil bean (pentaclethra marcrophylla). Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 4(6): 382-3.
- Ogundele, J.O and Oshodi, A.A (2010). Proximate composition and some functional properties of three vaieties of Lageneria siceraria melon seeds. Res. J.Agric and Biol. Sci; 6: 108-112.
- Sharma, B.K. (2006). Industrial Chemistry (15th ed.). GOEL Publishing House, Delhi,…Pp...
- Vandana D. and Varsha Z. (2014) Antifertility Effect of The Aqueous, Alcoholic and Petroleum Ether Extract of Cascabella thevetia (L.)Fruit in female Albino Rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Archieves 2014; 5(4): 60-66.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.