Author(s): Lakshmaiah K. C, Usha Amirtham, Suresh Babu, Venugopal Arroju, Govind Babu K, Lokanatha Dasappa, Linu Abraham Jacob, Lokesh K.N, Rudresh AH, Rajeev LK, Sunny Garg, Smitha Carol Saldanha
Adrenocortical carcinoma is a rare cancer, with an incidence in the literature of 0.5 to 2 cases per million population per year which has a poor prognosis..There is limited data in Indian population. Hence we undertook this retrospective observational study of adrenal cortical carcinoma at our center in Southern India. This study includes 5 consecutive cases diagnosed as adrenal cortical carcinoma between January 2009 and December 2015 was included.
- Bilimoria KY, Shen WT, Elaraj D, Bentrem DJ, Winchester DJ, Kebebew E, et al. Adrenocortical carcinoma in the United States: treatment utilization and prognostic factors. Cancer. 2008;113:3130–6.
- Abiven G, Coste J, Groussin L, Anract P, Tissier F, Legmann P, et al. Clinical and biological features in the prognosis of adrenocortical cancer: poor outcome of cortisol-secreting tumors in a series of 202 consecutive patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:2650–5.
- Faria AM, Almeida MQ. Differences in the molecular mechanisms of adrenocortical tumorigenesis between children and adults. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;351:52–7
- McAteer JP, Huaco JA, Gow KW. Predictors of survival in pediatric adrenocortical carcinoma: a Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program study. J Pediatr Surg. 2013;48:1025–31.
- Hanna AM, Pham TH, Askegard-Giesmann JR, Grams JM, Iqbal CW, Stavlo P, et al. Outcome of adrenocortical tumors in children. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:843–9.
- Isaacs Jr H. Fetal and newborn adrenocortical tumors. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2010;29:99–107.
- Michalkiewicz E, Sandrini R, Figueiredo B, Miranga ECM, Caran E, Oliveira-Filho AG, et al. Clinical and outcome characteristics of children with adrenocortical tumors: a report from the international pediatric adrenocortical tumor registry. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22:838–45.
- Faria AM, Almeida MQ. Differences in the molecular mechanisms of adrenocortical tumorigenesis between children and adults. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;351:52–7.
- Mantero F, Terzolo M, Arnaldi G, Osella G, Masini AM, Ali A, et al. A survey on adrenal incidentaloma in Italy. J Clinical Endocrinol Metab. 2000;85:637–44.
- Young Jr WF. Conventional imaging in adrenocortical carcinoma: update and perspectives. Horm Canc. 2011;2:341–7.
- Zhang HM, Perrier ND, Grubbs EG, Sircar K, Ye ZX, Lee JE, et al. CT features and quantification of the characteristics of adrenocortical carcinomas on unenchanced and contrast-enhanced studies. Clin Radiol. 2012;67:38–46.
- Fassnacht M, Kroiss M, Allolio B. Update in adrenocortical carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:4551–64.
- Weiss LM. Comparative histologic study of 43 metastasizing and Nonmetastasizing adrenocortical tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 1984;8:163–9.
- Aubert S, Wacrenier A, Leroy X, Devos P, Carnaille B, Proye C, et al. Weiss system revisited: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 49 adrenocortical tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2002;26:1612–9.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.