Xiaoping Liu, Tongxi Yang, Yi Wang, Shasha Jiang, Zhongjie Yu
Volume 5 - March 2016 (03)
Bone marrow stem cells (BMSCs) could be induced into hepatocytes by different cytokines, which has a great potential in tissue engineering. However, the differentiation was not so efficient mainly due to the less understanding of molecular mechanism. Our objective was to investigate the effect of BAY 11-7082 on the differentiation of BMSCs into hepatocyte-like cells. We observed the majority of differentiated cells were spherical or ovate in shape, indocyanine green (ICG) positive, α-1-antitrypsin (AAT) expression increased and NF-кB transferred into nuclear. Whereas the BMSCs additionally added with BAY 11-7082, which were showed fusiform or polygonal morphologies unchanged in shape, ICG uptake and AAT expression reduced, NF-кB scattered in the cytoplasm. These data suggest the activation of BAY 11-7082 may inhibit the differentiation of BMSCs into hepatocyte-like cells via NF-кB signaling.
BMSCs; Hepatocyte; Differentiation; NF-кB; Indocyanine Green; BAY 11-7082;
-  Bianco P, Riminucci M, Gronthos S, et al. Bone Marrow Stromal Stem Cells: Nature, Biology, and Potential Applications[J]. Stem Cells, 2001,19(3):180-192.
-  Obaid R, Wani S E, Azfer A, et al. Optineurin Negatively Regulates Osteoclast Differentiation by Modulating NF-kappaB and Interferon Signaling: Implications for Paget's Disease.[J]. Cell reports, 2015,13(6):1096-1102.
-  Han D, Wu G, Chang C, et al. Disulfiram inhibits TGF-beta-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition and stem-like features in breast cancer via ERK/NF-kappaB/Snail pathway[J]. Oncotarget, 2015,16:453-460.
-  Yamada T, Yoshikawa M, Kanda S, et al. In Vitro Differentiation of Embryonic Stem Cells into Hepatocyte-Like Cells Identified by Cellular Uptake of Indocyanine Green[J]. Stem Cells, 2002,20(2):146-154.
-  Mei X, Sun Y, Wu Z, et al. In vitro-induced differentiation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells into melanocytes[J]. Cell Biol Int, 2015,39(7):824-833.
-  Yu J, Yuan J, Xu R. Construction of bone marrow mesenchymal cells-derived engineered hepatic tissue and its therapeutic effect in rats with 90% subtotal hepatectomy[J]. Cell Mol Biol, 2014,60(3):16-22.
-  Zhang H, Huang Y, Wang S, et al. Myeloid-derived suppressor cells contribute to bone erosion in collagen-induced arthritis by differentiating to osteoclasts[J]. J Autoimmun, 2015,15:125-134.
-  Wang L Y, Wang H Y, Ouyang J, et al. Low concentration of lipopolysaccharide acts on MC3T3-E1 osteoblasts and induces proliferation via the COX-2-independent NFkappaB pathway[J]. Cell Biochem Funct, 2009,27(4):238-242.
-  Ishibashi H, Tonomura H, Ikeda T, et al. Hepatocyte growth factor/c-met promotes proliferation, suppresses apoptosis, and improves matrix metabolism in rabbit nucleus pulposus cells in vitro[J]. J Orthop Res, 2015,43:23-31.
-  Ji R, Zhang N, You N, et al. The differentiation of MSCs into functional hepatocyte-like cells in a liver biomatrix scaffold and their transplantation into liver-fibrotic mice[J]. Biomaterials, 2012,33(35):8995-9008.
-  De Ugarte D A, Alfonso Z, Zuk P A, et al. Differential expression of stem cell mobilization-associated molecules on multi-lineage cells from adipose tissue and bone marrow[J]. Immunol Lett, 2003,89(2-3):267-270.
-  Shahdadfar A, Fronsdal K, Haug T, et al. In vitro expansion of human mesenchymal stem cells: choice of serum is a determinant of cell proliferation, differentiation, gene expression, and transcriptome stability[J]. Stem Cells, 2005,23(9):1357-1366.
-  Sun Y, Duan F L, Chen X Y, et al. Inducing differentiation of human umbilical cord blood mesenchymal stem cells into hepatocyte-like cells in vitro[J]. Chinese Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2004,16(03):239-243.
-  Li Y, Zhang R, Xie H, et al. Establishment of a stable isolation culture system and identification of rat bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells[J]. Journal of Clinical Rehabilitative Tissue Engineering Research, 2009,13(06):1064-1068.
-  Lee J, Rhee M H, Kim E, et al. BAY 11-7082 is a broad-spectrum inhibitor with anti-inflammatory activity against multiple targets[J]. Mediators Inflamm, 2012,2012:416036.
-  Levinson-Dushnik M, Benvenisty N. Involvement of hepatocyte nuclear factor 3 in endoderm differentiation of embryonic stem cells[J]. Mol Cell Biol, 1997,17(7):3817-3822.
-  Liu X P, GAO Y M, BING L J. Orientational development and differentiation of mouse primordial germ cells into hepatocytes in vitro[J]. Acta Anatom Ica Sinica, 2005,56(06):74-78.
-  Seo K W, Sohn S Y, Bhang D H, et al. Therapeutic effects of hepatocyte growth factor-overexpressing human umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells on liver fibrosis in rats[J]. Cell Biol Int, 2014,38(1):106-116.
-  Yang Q, Xie P, Zeng Z L, et al. Study of mechanism on differentiation of marrow stroma cells into neuron-like cells induced by Ciwujia injection in vitro[J]. China journal of Chinese materia medica, 2008,33(15):1859-1865.
-  O'Driscoll C, Kaufmann W E, Bressler J. Relationship between Mecp2 and NFkappab signaling during neural differentiation of P19 cells[J]. Brain Res, 2013,1490:35-42.
-  Hess K, Ushmorov A, Fiedler J, et al. TNFalpha promotes osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells by triggering the NF-kappaB signaling pathway[J]. Bone, 2009,45(2):367-376.
-  Cho H H, Shin K K, Kim Y J, et al. NF-kappaB activation stimulates osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells derived from human adipose tissue by increasing TAZ expression[J]. J Cell Physiol, 2010,223(1):168-177.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.