A Gram-negative bacterium isolated from the sub-surface water of Ikang River, Niger Delta region, Nigeria produced an unusual biosurfactant in waste frying oil-minimal medium. Cultural and biochemical characterizations as well as 16S rRNA sequencing identified the bacterium as a strain of Pseudomonas aeruginosa with 100% sequence homology with Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain HNYM41. Biochemical characterizations, thin layer chromatography (TLC), high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and Fourier transform-infrared (FT-IR) spectrometry identified the active compound as a glycolipopeptide (peptidoglycolipid) composed of 40.36% carbohydrates, 20.16% proteins and 34.56% lipids. The biosurfactant reduced surface tension of water from 72.00 to 24.62 dynes/cm at a critical micelle concentration (CMC) of 20.80 mg/L indicating excellent effectiveness and efficiency properties. Commendable oil-washing property (79.92% oil recovery) with an elution rate of 0.68 mL/min at 70°C, foaming and foam stability, excellent emulsification activity in kerosene, crude oil and palm oil and a significant (P = 0.000; R2 = 0.9901) oil solubilization property indicate excellent oil recovery, detergency and remediation potentials of the biosurfactant. Oil displacement, emulsifying and antimicrobial activities of the compound were relatively stable at relevant temperatures, pH and NaCl levels suggesting suitability for applications in hydrophobic compound remediation, emulsion stabilization and preservation of formulations.
Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain IKW1, glycolipopeptide, enhanced oil recovery, emulsification, stability
- Al-Araji, L., Rahman, R.N.Z.R.A., Basri, M. and Salleh, A.B. (2007) Microbial surfactants, Asian Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, 15, 99-105.
- Banat, I.M., Franzetti, A., Gandolfi, I., Bestetti, G., Martinotti, M.G., Fracchia, L., Smyth, T.J. and Marchant, R. (2010) Microbial biosurfactants production, applications and future potential, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 87, 427- 444. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00253-010-2589-0
- Pacwa-Plociniczak, M., Plaza, G.A., Piotrowska-Seget, Z. and Cameotra S.S. (2011) Environmental applications of biosurfactants: recent advances. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 12, 633-654. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms12010633
- Sachdev, D.P. and Cameotra, S.S. (2013) Biosurfactants in agriculture. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 97, 1005-1016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00253-012-4641-8
- Lawniczak, L., Marecik, R. and Chrzanowski, L. (2013) Contribution of biosurfactants to natural or induced bioremediation. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 97, 2327-2339. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00253-013-4740-1
- Morikawa, M., Daido, H., Takao, T., Murata, S., Shimonishi, Y. and Imanaka, T. (1993) A new lipopeptide biosurfactant produced by Arthrobacter sp. Strain MIS38. Journal of Bacteriology, 175, 6459-6466.
- Desai, J.D. and Banat, I.M. (1997). Microbial production of surfactants and their commercial potential, Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, 61, 47-64.
- Thavasi, R.S., Jayalakshmi, L., Balasubramaian, T. Banat I M. (2007) Biosurfactants production by Corynebacterium kutscheri from waste motor lubricant oil and peanut oil cake. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 45, 686-691. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2007.02256.x
- Banat, I.M., Makkar, R.S. and Cameotra, S.S. (2000) Potential commercial applications of microbial surfactants. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 53, 495-508. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s002530051648
- Mulligan, C.N. (2005) Environmental applications for biosurfactants. Environmental Pollution, 133, 183-198. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2004.06.009
- Franzetti, A., Tamburini, E. and Banat, I.M. (2010) Applications of biological surface active compounds in remediation technologies. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 672, 121-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-5979-9_9
- Lima, T.M., Procópio, L.C., Brandão, F.D, Leão, B.A., Tótola, M.R. and A.C. Borges, A.C. (2011) Evaluation of bacterial surfactant toxicity towards petroleum-degrading microorganisms. Bioresource Technology, 102, 2957–2964. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.09.109
- Bodour, A.A., Drecs, K.P. and Maier, R.M. (2003) Distribution of biosurfactant-producing bacteria in undisturbed and contaminated arid southwestern soils. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 69, 3280-3287. http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/AEM.69.6.3280-3287.2003
- Satpute, S.K., Bhawsar, B.D., Dhakephalkar, P.K. and Chopade, B.A. (2008) Assessment of different screening methods for selecting biosurfactant producing marine bacteria. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 37, 243-250.
- Daverey, A., Pakshirajan, K. and Sangeetha, P. (2009) Sophorolipids production by Candida bombicola using synthetic dairy wastewater, International Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, 1, 173-175.
- Savergave, L.S., Gadre, R.V., Vaidya, B.K. and Narayanan, K. (2011) Strain improvement and statistical media optimization for enhanced erythritol production with minimal by-products from Candida magnoliae mutant R23. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 55, 92-100. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2011.03.009
- Kiran, G.S., Selvin, J., Manilal, A. and Sujith, S. (2011) Biosurfactants as green stabilizers for the biological synthesis of nanoparticles. Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, 31, 354-364. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/07388551.2010.539971
- Mabrouk, M.E.M., Youssif, E.M. and Sabry, S.A. (2014) Biosurfcatant production by a newly isolated soft coral-associated marine Bacillus sp.E34: Statistical optimization and characterization, Life Science Journal, 11, 756-768.
- Nitschke, M., Ferraz, C. and Pastore, G.M. (2004) Selection of microorganisms for biosurfactant production using agro-industrial wastes. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, 35, 81-85. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1517-83822004000100013
- Rodrigues, L.R., Teixeira, J.A. and Oliveira, R. (2006) Low-cost fermentative medium for biosurfactant production by probiotic bacteria. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 32, 135-142. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2006.09.012
- Thavasi, R.S., Subramanyam Nambaru, V.R.M., Jayalakshmi, S., Balasubramanian, T. and Banat, I.M. (2011) Biosurfactant production by Pseudomonas aeruginosa from renewable resources. Indian Journal of Microbiology, 51, 30-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12088-011-0076-7
- Asitok, A.D. and Antai, S.P. (2006) Petroleum hydrocarbon utilization and biosurfactant production by Pseudomonas and Bacillus species. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology, 20, 824-831.
- Lindahl, M., Faris, A., Wadstrom, T. and Hjerten, S. (1981) A new test based on salting out to measure relative surface hydrophobicity of bacterial cells. Biochemistry and Biophysics Acta, 677, 471- 476. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0304-4165(81)90261-0
- Queiroga, C.L., Nascimento, L.R. and Serra, G.E. (2003) Evaluation of paraffins biodegradation and biosurfactant production by Bacillus subtilis in the presence of crude oil. Brazilian Journal Microbiology, 34, 321-324. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1517-83822003000400006
- Dubois, M., Gilies, K.A., Hamilton, J.K., Rebers, P.A. and Smith, F. (1956) Colorimetric method for determination of sugar and related substances, Analytical Chemistry, 28, 350-356. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ac60111a017
- Bradford, M.M. (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding, Analytical Biochemistry, 72, 248-254. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
- Folch, J.M., Lees, M. and Stanly, H.S. (1956) A simple method for the isolation and quantification of total lipids from animal tissues. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 226, 497–509
- Fernandes P A V, Renata de Arruda I, Botelho dos Santos A F A, Albertina de Araujo A, Maior A M S and Ximenes, E.A. (2007) Antimicrobial activity of surfactants produced by Bacillus subtilis R14 against multidrug-resistant bacteria. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, 38, 704-709. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1517-83822007000400022
- Berry, C., Dilantha Fernando, W.G., Loewen, P.C. and de Kievit, T.R. (2010) Lipopeptides are essential for Pseudomonas sp. DF41 biocontrol of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. Biological Control, 55, 211-218. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2010.09.011
- Kiran, G.S., Thomas, T.A., Selvin, J., Sabarathnam, B. and Lipton, A.P. (2010) Optimization and characterization of a new lipopeptide biosurfactant produced by marine Brevibacterium aureum MSA13 in solid state culture. Bioresource Technology, 101, 2389-2396. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.11.023
- Whang, L.M., Liu, P.W.G., Ma, C.C. and Cheng, S.S. (2008) Application of biosurfactants; rhamnolipid and surfactin, for enhanced biodegradation of diesel-contaminated water and soil, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 151 155-163. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.05.063
- Chen, Y., Yang, C., Chang, M., Ciou, Y. and Huang, Y. (2010) Foam properties and detergent abilities of the saponins Camellia oleifera, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 11, 4417-4425. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms11114417
- Abouseoud, M., Maachi, R., Amrane, A., Boudergua, S. and Nabi, A. (2008) Evaluation of different carbon and nitrogen sources in production of biosurfactant by Pseudomonas fluorescens, Desalination, 223, 143-151. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2007.01.198
- Makkar, R.S., Cameotra, S.S. and Banat, I.M. (2011) Advances in utilization of renewable substrates for biosurfactant production, AMB Express, 1, 5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/2191-0855-1-5
- Karanth, N.G.K., Deo, P.G. and Veenanadig, N.K. (1999) Microbial biosurfactants and their importance, Current Science, 77, 116-126.
- Onbasli, D. and Aslim, B. (2009) Biosurfactant production in sugar beet molasses by some Pseudomonas spp. Journal of Environmental Biology, 30, 161-163
- Koronelli, T.V., Komarova, T.I and Denisov, luV. (1983) Chemical composition and role of Pseudomonas aeruginosa peptidoglycolipid in hydrocarbon assimilation, Mikrobiologiia, 52, 767-770
- Ilori, M.O. and Amund, D.I. (2001) Production of a peptidoglycolipid bioemulsifier from Pseudomonas aeruginosa grown on hydrocarbon. Z Naturforsch C, 56, 547-552. http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/znc-2001-7-812
- Hisatsuka, K., Nakahara, T., Minoda, Y. and Yamada, K. (1977). Formation of protein-like activator for n-alkane oxidation and its properties, Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, 41, 445-450. http://dx.doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.41.445
- Cohen, Y. (2002) Bioremediation of oil by marine microbial mats. International Microbiology, 5, 189-193. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10123-002-0089-5
- Sekhon, K.K.., Khanna, S. and Cameotra, S.S. (2012) Biosurfactant production and potential correlation with esterase activity. Journal of Petroleum and Environmental Biotechnology, 3, 333-343.
- Gupta, R., Gupta, N. and Rathi, P. (2004) Bacterial lipases: an overview of production, purification and biochemical properties. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 64, 763-781. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00253-004-1568-8
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.