This work deals with the assessment of the arsenic and selenium concentration levels in ground water in two districts of Tripoli, Libya. The study conducted from March 2009 to January 2010 and 14 samples of ground water were collected and analyzed every two months using inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectroscopy (ICP-OES). A novel absorbent was prepared by 1,3-dimercapto propane sulphonic acid chemically modifying mesoporous titanium dioxide nanoparticles and was employed as micro column packing material for simultaneous speciation of inorganic arsenic and selenium species. As and Se species could be adsorbed quantitatively on 1,3-dimercapto propane sulphuric acid modified TiO2 nanoparticles within a pH range of 3-7 and only As(III) could be quantitatively retained on the column within a pH of 10 while As(V) and Se(IV) were passed through the column without the retention. The results show that arsenic levels in ground water varied from 1.05 to 31.08 ng/ml with a mean value of 4.5 Â±0.34, which is high than the recommended World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines of 10 ng/ml for drinking water in some ground water samples. The data generated in this study will provide base line values for monitoring arsenic concentrations in ground water in surveyed area.
Speciation of arsenic, speciation of selenium, micro column packing, TiO2 nanoparticles, 1, 3-dimercapto propane sulphonic acid, ICP-OES
- Gebel.T, Arsenic and antiomony: comparative approach on mechanistic.toxicology,. Chem.Biol.interact., 107, pp. 131-144, 1999
- Bissen M, Frimmel FH, Arsenic â€“ a review.Part1.Occurance, toxicity,speciation, mobility.Acta Hydrochim Hydrobiol 31:pp.9-17, 2003.
- Satinder.A., Arsenic Contamination of Ground Water, Wiley,New York, pp-23-96,2008
- Merian.E, Metals and their compounds in the environment/occurrence,Analysis and biological relevance,VCH,New York, pp-22-78, 1991
- Song.Y,Swain.GM., Total inorganic arsenic detection in real water samples using anodic stripping voltammetry and a gold coated diamond thin film electrode, Anal Chim Acta,593,pp-7-16,2007
- Poole, C.F., New trends in solid phase extraction. Trend Anal. Chem, 22,pp. 362-373, 2003.
- Long.XP, Miro.M,Hansen.E.H, Estela.JM, Cerda.V,Hyphenating multisyringe flow injection lab on valve analysis with atomic fluorescence spectrometry for online bead injection preconcentration and determination of trace levels of hydride forming elements in environmental samples.Anal.Chem,78, pp.8290-8298, 2006
- Yu.CH,Cai. QT,GUO.ZX,Yang.ZG,Khoo.SB,Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry study of the relation behavior of arsenic species on various solid phase extraction cartridges and its application in arsenic Speciation. Spectrochim Acta B,58,pp.1335-1351,2003
- Vassileva.E,Hadjiivanov., Solid phase extraction of heavy metal ions on a high surface area titanium dioxide (anatase), Analyst, 121,pp.607-612,1996
- Lang.P,Peng.LL,Yan.P. T, Speciation of As(III) and As(V) in water samples by dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction separation and determination by graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry, Microchem Acta, 166, pp.47-55,2009
- Gil.A, Ferrua.N,Salonia JA, Olsina.RA,Martinez.LD, On-line arsenic Co-precipitation on ethyl vinyl acetate turning packed mini column followed by hydride generation-ICP-OES determination, J.Hazard Mater, 143, pp.431-438,2007
- Huang.CZ,Hu.B,Jiang ZC,Simultaneous speciation of inorganic arsenic and antimony in natural waters by dimercaptosuccinic acid modified mesoporous titanium dioxide micro column on line separation and inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry determinationSpectrochim Acta part B ,62, pp.454-460,2007.
- Maquieira.A, Elmahadi.H.A.M, Puchades.R, Immobilized cyanobacteria for Online trace metal enrichment by flow injection atomic absorption Spectrometry, Anal.Chem,66 ,pp.3632-3638
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.