Author(s): Abbas Sabbah, Ayman Youssef, Pascal Damman
Plant leaves, insect wings, and other natural surfaces show interesting cases of out-of-plan deformations, which can be attributed to mechanical buckling. This paper deals with a specific type of elastic instabilities, where both microscopic (wrinkles) and macroscopic (global curvature) deformations occur simultaneously. To this end, PDMS narrow sheet was stretched, its surface oxidized, then released. Its deformation was measured and analyzed. A mechanical model considering the effect of wrinkle on elasticity was elaborated; the concept equivalent stiffness was introduced in order to represent this effect. The model was matched with testing results successfully. This model is an interesting tool to explain potentially number of elastic instability phenomena.
global buckling, stiff layer, microstructures, wrinkles, elastomers, equivalent stiffness
- S. Jeong, S. H. Park, and C. H. Kim, “Simulation of morphology changes in drying leaves,” Comput. Graph. Forum, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 204–215, 2013.
- Z. Y. Huang, W. Hong, and Z. Suo, “Nonlinear analyses of wrinkles in a film bonded to a compliant substrate,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 2101–2118, 2005.
- M. Diab, T. Zhang, R. Zhao, H. Gao, and K.-S. Kim, “Ruga mechanics of creasing: from instantaneous to setback creases,” Proc. R. Soc. A Math. Phys. Eng. Sci., vol. 469, no. 2157, pp. 20120753–20120753, 2013.
- M. Diab and K.-S. Kim, “Ruga-formation instabilities of a graded stiffness boundary layer in a neo-Hookean solid,” Proc. R. Soc. A Math. Phys. Eng. Sci., vol. 470, pp. 20140218–20140218, 2014.
- L. T. De Haan, P. Leclère, P. Damman, A. P. H. J. Schenning, and M. G. Debije, “On-demand wrinkling patterns in thin metal films generated from self-assembling liquid crystals,” Adv. Funct. Mater., vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1360–1365, 2015.
- G.-Y. Li, Y. Zheng, Y.-P. Cao, X.-Q. Feng, and W. Zhang, “Controlling elastic wave propagation in a soft bilayer system via wrinkling-induced stress patterns,” Soft Matter, vol. 12, pp. 4204–4213, 2016.
- J. Huang, J. Liu, B. Kroll, K. Bertoldi, and D. R. Clarke, “Spontaneous and deterministic three-dimensional curling of pre-strained elastomeric bi-strips,” Soft Matter, vol. 8, no. 23, p. 6291, 2012.
- T. Mora and A. Boudaoud, “Buckling of swelling gels,” Eur. Phys. J. E, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 119–124, 2006.
- G. McHale, M. I. Newton, N. J. Shirtcliffe, and N. R. Geraldi, “Capillary origami: Superhydrophobic ribbon surfaces and liquid marbles,” Beilstein J. Nanotechnol., vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 145–151, 2011.
- J. Kim, J. a. Hanna, M. Byun, C. D. Santangelo, and R. C. Hayward, “Designing Responsive Buckled Surfaces by Halftone Gel Lithography,” Science (80-. )., vol. 335, no. 6073, pp. 1201–1205, 2012.
- D. Maji, D. Das, J. Wala, and S. Das, “Buckling assisted and lithographically micropatterned fully flexible sensors for conformal integration applications,” Nat. Publ. Gr., no. August, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- V. Roucoules, A. Ponche, A. Geissler, F. Siffer, L. Vidal, S. Ollivier, M. F. Vallat, P. Marie, J. C. Voegel, P. Schaaf, and J. Hemmerlé, “Changes in silicon elastomeric surface properties under stretching induced by three surface treatments,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 26, pp. 13136–13145, 2007.
- K. Efimenko, W. E. Wallace, and J. Genzer, “Surface Modification of Sylgard-184 Poly(dimethyl siloxane) Networks by Ultraviolet and Ultraviolet/Ozone Treatment,” J. Colloid Interface Sci., vol. 254, no. 2, pp. 306–315, 2002.
- Y. J. Fu, H. Z. Qui, K. S. Liao, S. J. Lue, C. C. Hu, K. R. Lee, and J. Y. Lai, “Effect of UV-Ozone treatment on poly(dimethylsiloxane) membranes: Surface characterization and gas separation performance,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 4392–4399, 2010.
- K. Efimenko, M. Rackaitis, E. Manias, A. Vaziri, L. Mahadevan, and J. Genzer, “Nested self-similar wrinkling patterns in skins.,” Nat. Mater., vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 293–7, 2005.
- A. Sabbah, A. Youssef, and P. Damman, “Superhydrophobic Surfaces Created by Elastic Instability of PDMS,” Appl. Sci., vol. 6, no. 5, p. 152, 2016.
- F. Brau, H. Vandeparre, A. Sabbah, C. Poulard, A. Boudaoud, and P. Damman, “Multiple-length-scale elastic instability mimics parametric resonance of nonlinear oscillators,” Nat. Phys., vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 56–60, 2010.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.