This study is to investigate the effects of the amendments in macronutrients nitrogen-phosphate-potassium (NPK) and microelements zinc and gypsum on physicochemical qualities of rice grain. The design is a split plot with two factors: fertility with 12 levels of fertilizers and variety with 6 rice varieties, repeated in 3 blocks, in two different media, including a salty medium (MS) and a unsalted medium (MNS). Six (6) rice varieties were used, of which four (4) tolerant varieties, and two (2) controls varieties that are moderately sensitive and very sensitive respectively. Results show a total yield milled grain of tolerant varieties, highest in saltwater environments as in unsalted middle, while the opposite effect is observed with susceptible varieties. The highest yields milled total grains were observed in a saltwater medium, with the formula 120-26-50 with or without zinc or Gypsum. In unsalted medium, it is the formula 0-26-50 with or without zinc or gypsum, which gives the best yields total milled grains. Broken grains have best performance in a saltwater environment, whatever variety or combination of fertilizer used. Weight of 100 grains is more efficient in unsalted environment, whatever variety or combination of fertilizer used. Depending on the alkaline spreading value (ASV), varieties can be divided into two groups. Varieties of the first group with low AVS (3 to 4) have a gelatinization temperature (GT) intermediate. Those in the second group, with a middle and higher AVS (5.4 to 6), have low gelatinization temperature. The varieties of this last group with low GT, are more interesting for the market and consumers because they require only a low cooking time.
irrigated rice, grain yield, quality, Salinity, fertilization, alkaline spread value (ASV), gelatinization temperature (GT).
- Alam MM, Hassanuzzaman M and Nahar K. 2009.Tiller dynamics of three irrigated rice varieties under varying phosphorus levels. American –Eurasian Journal of Agronomy 2(2):89-94.
- Arraudeau M. 1998. Le riz irrigué. Agence de coopération culturelle et technique, Paris et Centre technique de coopération agricole (C.T.A.), Wageningen. Vol 2. 336p.
- Asch F, Dingkuhn M and Dörffling K. 1993. Physiological stresses of irrigated rice caused by soil salinity in the Sahel. Irrigated rice in th Sahel : Prospect for sustainable developpement. Session 4 : Stress environnementaux. ADRAO. Publication bilingue. p. 247-273.
- Bahmanyar MA and Mashaee SS. 2010. Influences of nitrogen and potassium top dressing on yield and yield components as well as their accumulation in rice (Oryza sativa). African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 9(18), pp. 2648-2653.
- Barber S. 1972. Milled rice and changes during aging. In D.F. Houston, ed. Rice chemistry and technology, p. 215-263. St Paul, MN, USA, Am. Assoc. Cereal Chem.
- Bimpong IK, Manneh B, Sock M, Diaw F, Amoah NKA, Ismail AM, Gregorio G, Singh RK, Wopereis M. 2016. Improving salt tolerance of lowland rice cultivar ‘Rassi’ through marker-aided backcross breeding in West Africa, Plant Science, Volume 242, Pages 288-299, ISSN 0168-9452.
- Brown RS, Sander C and Argos P. 1985. The primary structure of transcription factor TFIIIA has 12 consecutive repeats. FEBS Lett. 186 (2): 271-4.
- Cagampang GB, Cruz LJ, Espiritu SG, Santiago RG and Juliano BO. 1966. Studies on the extraction and composition of rice proteins. Cereal Chem. 43:145-155.
- Cagampang GB, Perez CM and Juliano BO. 1973. A gel test for the eating quality of rice. J. Sci Food Agr. 24 : 1589-1594.
- Chen L and Dick WA. 2011. Gypsum as an agricultural amendment: General Use Guidelines. The Ohio State University, USA. 36p.
- Chopra NK and Chopra N. 2004. Effect of row spacing and nitrogen level on growth, yield and seed quality of scented rice (Oryza sativa) under transplanted conditions. Indian J. Agronomy, 45(2):304-308.
- Courtois B. 1998. Les systèmes de culture du riz pluvial. Mémoires et Travaux de l’IRAT 16, 96p.
- Courtois B. 2007. Une brève histoire de l'amélioration génétique du riz. Cirad, Montpellier Cedex 5, France. 13p.
- Cruz JF et Matignon-Pons B. 2012. Plateforme technologie agroalimentaire. CIRAD.
- De Datta SK. 1965. Phosphate availability and fertilizer Res.Inst. Thursday Seminar 2 Septembre 1965 Loss Banos-Philippines.
- De Datta SK. 1981. Principles and practices of rice production. John Wiley and son. New york, 618p.
- Dien LD, Trinh NB, Lieu LT and Hieu LH. 1987. Influence of seasons on several biochemical criteria of rice seeds (Oryza sativa L.). Tap Chi Sinh Hoc, 9(2): 15-21, 31
- Dingkuhn M, Asch F and Miézan K. 1993. Salt tolerance of rice varieties under irrigated conditions in the Sahel. WARDA, Annuel Report 1992. 01 BP 2551 Bouake, Côte d’Ivoire.
- Dilday RH. 1988. Effect of nitrogen fertilizer on milling quality of rice (oryza sativa). Proceedings Arkansas Academy of Science, Vol. 42.
- Dobermann A and Fairhurst T. 2000.Rice: Nutrient Disorders and Nutrient Management, Potash and Phosphate. Institute of Canada, and International Rice Res, Institute, Los Banos, Philippines. 192p.
- FAO. 2012. Aperçu du développement rizicole au Sénégal. APRAO. 10p.
- Fageria NK. 1985. Salt tolerance of rice cultivars. Plant and soil, 88, 237-243.
- FERTIAL, 2010. MANUEL : utilisation des engrais. Les fertilisant d’Algérie. 100p.
- Flowers TJ and Yeo AR. 1981. Variability in the resistance to sodium chloride salinity within rice (Oriza sativa L.) varieties. New Phytol. 88, 363-373.
- Flowers TJ and Yeo AR. 1989. Effects of salinity on plant growth and crop yield. J. H. Cherry (Ed), Environmental Stress in Plants (NATO ASI Series, Vol G19). Springer Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Hao H, Wei Y, Yang X, Feng Y and Wu C. 2007. Effects of Different Nitrogen Fertilizer Levels on Fe, Mn, Cu and Zn Concentrations in Shoot and Grain Quality in Rice (Oryza sativa). China National Rice Research Institute. Rice Science, 2007, 14(4): 289-294
- Huang JF. 1990. The relation between soil nutrients and rice qualities. Trans. 14th Int. Congr. Soil Sci., Kyoto, 12- 18 August. 4: 170175.
- IRRI. 1964. Annual Report for 1963, pp. 149-161. The Institute: Los Baflos, Laguna, Philippines.
- IRRI. 1996. Standard Evaluation System for rice. INGER Genetic Ressources Center. Manila, Philippines. 51p.
- Juliano BO. 1971. A simplified assay for milled-rice amylose. Cereal Sci. Today 16 : 334-340.
- Juliano B0. 1972. The rice caryopsis and its composition. In D.F. Houston, ed. Rice chemistry and technology, p. 1674. St Paul, MN, USA, Am. Assoc. Cereal Chem.
- Juliano BO, ed. 1985b. Rice: chemistry and technology, 2nd ed. St Paul, MN, USA, Am. Assoc. Cereal Chem. 774 pp.
- Juliano BO. 1985. Factors affecting nutritional properties of rice protein. Trans. Natl. Acad. Sci. Technol. Philipp.) 7: 205-216.
- Juliano BO and Bechtel DB 1985. The rice grain and its gross composition. In B.O. Juliano, ed. Rice chemistry and technology, 2nd ea., p. 17-57. St Paul, MN, USA, Am. Assoc. Cereal Chem.
- Juliano BO, Perez CM, Blakeney AB, Castillo T, Kongseree N, Laignelet B, Lapis ET, Murty VVS, Paule CM and Webb BD. 1987. International cooperation testing on the amylose content of milled rice. Starch/Staerke 33 :157.
- Juliano BO and B Duff. 1991. Rice grain quality as an emerging research priority in national rice breeding programs. In Rice grain marketing and quality issues, p. 55-64. Manila, IRRI.
- Lacharme M. 2001.Fascicule 6 : La fertilisation minérale du riz. Coopération Française de Développement Rural et de l'Environnement: Direction de la Recherche Formation Vulgarisation. 19p.
- Lacharme M. 2001. Fascicule 9 : Le contrôle de la salinité dans les rizières. Coopération Française de Développement Rural et de l'Environnement: Direction de la Recherche Formation Vulgarisation. 20p.
- Little RR, Hilder GB and Dawson EH. 1958. Differential effect of dilute alkali on 25 varieties of milled white rice. Cereal Chem., 35 : 111-126.
- Liu L, Chang E, Fan M, Wang Z and Yang J. 2011. Effects of Potassium and Calcium on Root Exudates and Grain Quality During Grain Filling. Agronomica Sinica, Vol. 37 (4) : 661-669.
- Marschner H. 1995. Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants. 2ndedn. London, UK: Academic Press.
- Mass EV, Lesch SM, François LE and Grieve CM. 1994. Tiller development in salt-stressed wheat. Crop Sci. 34, 1594-1603.
- Muhammed S, Neue HU and Mendoza BS. 1986. Effects of gypsum on the growth and mineral nutrition of some k-efficient rice in coastal saline-sodic soils. Crop Science of the Philippines. Vol. 11 (3) : 213-220.
- Nangju D and De Datta SK. 1970. Effect of time of harvest and nitrogen level on yield and grain breakage in transplanted rice. Agron. J. 62:468-474.
- Neue HU, El-Naggar MIA and Rashid M. 1990. Responses and tolerance mechanisms of rice to saline soil conditions. Transactions Vol IV, 50-55.
- PATRICK RM and HOSKINS FH. 1974. Protein and amino acid content of rice as affected by application of nitrogen fertilizer. Cereal Chem. 51:84-95.
- Perez CM, Cagampang GB, Esmama BV, Monserrate RU and Juliano BO. 1973. Protein metabolism in leaves and developping grains of rices differing in grain protein content. Plant Physiol. 51 : 537-542.
- Perez CM and Juliano BO. 1981. Texture changes and storage of rice. J. Texture Studies 12(3): 321-333.
- Perez CM, Juliano BO, Liboon SP, Alcantara JM and Cassman KG. 1996. Effects of Late Nitrogen Fertilizer Application on Head Rice Yield, Protein Content, and Grain Quality of Rice. Cereal Chem. Vol 73(5):556-560.
- Pongwichian P, Dissataporn C, Yamclee P, Inthusen L, Chueapun K and Wongpiyachon S. 2009. Influence of Salinity on Yields and Grain Quality of Rice Variety of KDML 105. 8 pages.
- Rao PS, Mishra B and Gupta SR. 2013. Effect of Soil Salinity and Alkalinity on Grain Quality of Tolerant, Semi-Tolerant and Sensitive Rice Genotypes. China National Rice Research Institute. Rice Science Vol 20 (4).
- Rasouli F, Pouya AK and Karimian N. 2013. Wheat yield and physico-chemical properties of a sodic soil from semi-arid area of Iran as affected by applied gypsum. GEODERMA. Vol 193, p. 246-255.
- SAED. 2011. Manuel Pratique de Riziculture irriguée dans la Vallée du Fleuve Sénégal. SAED, ISRA, AfricaRice. Version 2, 119p.
- Sartaj IZ, Sirisena DN and Jayawardena DPT. 2001. Varietal response of rice to added nitrogen in terms of grain quality characteristics.
- Sharma D, Sagwal PK, Singh I and Sangwan A. 2012. Influence of Different Nitrogen and Phosphorus Levels on Profitability, Plant Nutrient Content, Yield and Quality in Basmati Cultivars. International Journal of IT, Engineering and Applied Sciences Research (IJIEASR), Vol. 1, No. 1.
- Seetanum W and De Datta SK. 1973. Grain yield, milling quality, and seed viability of rice as influenced by time of nitrogen application and time of harvest. Agron. J. 65:390-394.
- Siscar-Lee JJH, Juliano BO, Qureshi RH and Akbar M. 1990. Effect of saline soil on grain quality of rices differring in salinity tolerance. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, n. 40 : 31-36.
- Taira H. 1970. Effect of fertilizer on protein content in high yield rice. Nippon Sakumotsu Gakkai Kiji 39:200-203.
- Taira H, Matsushima S and Matsuzaki A. 1970. Analysis of yield-determining process and its application to yield-prediction and culture development of lowland rice. XCII. Possibility of increasing yield and nutritional value of rice protein by nitrogen dressing. Nippon Sakumotsu Gakkai Kiji 39:33-40.
- Tabar Y. 2012. Effect of Nitrogen and Phosphorus Fertilizer on Growth and Yield Rice (Oryza Sativa L). Young Researchers Club, Iran Islamic Azad University, sari Branch, sari, Iran. International journal of Agronomy and Plant Production. Vol., 3 (12), 579-584.
- Unnevehr LJ, Juliano BO, Perez CM and Marciano EB. 1985. Consumer demand for rice grain quality in Thailand, Indonesia, and the Philippines. Manila: International Rice Research Institute. IRRI Res Paper Ser 116. 20 p.
- Vergara BS. 1984. Manuel pratique de riziculture. IRRI, Philippines. 221p.
- Wang Q, Zhen R, Ding R, Ding Y, Ji Z, Cao W and Huang P. 2004. Effects of potassium fertiliser application rates on plant potassium accumulation and grain quality of Japonica rice. Scientia Agricultura Sinica. Vol. 37(10) :1444-1450.
- Xiong F, Wang Z, Gu Y, Chen G, Zhou P. 2008. Effects of nitrogen application time on caryopsis development and grain quality of rice variety yangdao. Jiangsu Provincial Key Laboratory of Crop Genetics and Physiology, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou 225009, China.
- Yadav GS, Kumar D, Shivay YS and Singh H. 2010. Zinc-Enriched Urea Improves Grain Yield and Quality of Aromatic Rice. Better Crops/Vol. 94 (2).
- Yadi R, Dastan S and Yasari E. 2012. Role of Zinc Fertilizer on Grain Yield and Some Qualities Parameters in Iranian Rice Genotypes. Annals of Biological Research. Vol.3 (9):4519-4527
- Yakan HM, Gürbüz MA, Avsar F, Dürek H, Beser N. 2001. The effect of zinc application on rice yield and some agronomic characters. Chataigner J. (ed.). The new development in rice agronomy and its effects on yield and quality in Mediterranean areas. Montpellier, CIHEAM. Cahiers Options Méditerranéennes, n. 58.
- Yoshida S, Ogawa M, Suenaga K and He CY. 1983. Induction and selection of salt-tolerant mutant rices by tissus culture techniques for Cereal Crop Improvement. Science Press, Beijing, China / IRRI, Manila, Philippines, pp. 237-254.
- Zhao L, Wu L, Wu M and Li Y. 2011.Nutrient uptake and water use efficiency as affected by modified rice cultivation methods with irrigation. Paddy Water environ, 9: 25-32.
- Zhu X, Lin L, Shao J and Yang Y. 2008. Effects of Zinc and Chromium Stresses on Quality of Rice Grain. p. 4475 – 4479. Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering, The 2nd International Conference, 16-18 May 2008, Shanghai.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.