Sea squirt is an important source for isolation of new bacteria strains that are able to accumulate bio-active compounds. In this study, we isolated and identified of cultivable bacteria isolated from sea squirt Ciona savignyi, collected from the Tsingtao Port, Jiaozhou Bay, China. We investigated the phenotypic characteristics and neighbour-joining phylogenetic analysis of this isolated cultivable strains, which suggested the isolated seventeen strains mainly belong to the Proteobacteria, Bacteroidetes and Actinobacteria four phyla, of which twelve strains belong to Proteobacteria, accounted for 70.6% of total isolated stains, and respectively belonging to Alphaproteobacteria and Gammaproteobacteria. This identification and analysis of this these marine bacteria will enrich sea squirt-associated bacteria resources, from which more bio-active substances would be discovered.
Cultivable Microorganisms, Phylogenetic Analysis, Marine Bacteria, Sea Squirt, Isolation And Identification
- Wikjinson C. R., 1978. Micobial associations in sponges. I Ecology,physiology and micobial populations of coral reef sponges. Marine biology, 49: 161-167.
- Unson M. D.,Holland N. D., Fqulkner D. J, 1994. A brominated secondry metabolite syntheaized by the cyanobacterial symbiont of a marine sponge and accumulation of the crystalline metabolite in the sponge tissue. Marine Biology, 119: 1-11
- Schmidt E. W., Obraztsova A. Y., Davidson D. S. K., et al., 2000. Identification of the antifungal peptide-containing sybiont of the marine sponge Theonella swinhoei as a novel δ-teobacterium, “Candidatus Entotheonella palauensis”. Marine Biology, 136: 969-977.
- Hentschel U., Schmid M., Wanger M. et al., 2001. Isolation and phyogenetic analysis of bacteria withe antimicribial activities from the Mediterranean sponges Apiysina aerphoba and Aplysina cavernicola. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 35: 305-312.
- Oern P., 2004. Metabolites from symbiotic bacteria. Nat. Prod. Rep., 21: 519-538.
- Ryuichi S., Stroh J. G., Sullin D. W., et al., 1995. Seven new didemnins from the marine tunicate Tirdidemnum solidum. Journal of the Amerincan Chemical Society, 117: 3734-3736.
- Mcdonald L. A., Swersey J. C., Ireland C. M., et al., 1995. Botryllamide A-D, new brominated tyrosine derivatives from styelid ascidians of the genus Botryllus. Tetrahedron, 51: 5237-5240.
- Williams A. B., Jacobs R. S., 1993. A marine natural product, patellamide D, reverses multidrud resistance in a human leukemic cell line. Cancer Letter, 71: 97-102.
- Ausubel, F. M., Brent, R., Kingston, R. E., Moore, D. D., Seidman, J. G., Smith, J. A. & Struhl, K. (editors) , 1995. Short Protocols in Molecular Biology: a Compendium of Methods from Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, 3rd edn. New York: Wiley.
- Kim, O. S., Cho, Y. J., Lee, K., Yoon, S. H., Kim, M., Na, H., Park, S. C., Jeon, Y. S., Lee, J. H. & other authors , 2012. Introducing EzTaxon-e: a prokaryotic 16S rRNA gene sequence.
- Thompson, J. D., Gibson, T. J., Plewniak, F., Jeanmougin, F. & Higgins, D. G. , 1997. The CLUSTAL_X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res 25: 4876-4882.
- Tamura, K., Stecher, G., Peterson, D., Filipski, A. & Kumar, S. , 2013. MEGA6: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 6.0. Mol Biol Evol 30: 2725-2729.
- Felsenstein, J. , 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39: 783-791.
- Munn C B , 2003 Marine Microbiology: Ecology and Applications. London and New York: BIOS Scientific Publishers.
- Tong Yu, 2013. Cultivation of deep-sea microorganisms from the South China Sea and taxonomic analysis of four novel bacteria Master's degree thesis.Qingdao.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.