Author(s): Xiaohui SUN, Lingling SUN, Chen Jiang, Zhiqiang QIN, Mei Lin
Objective: We aim to investigate the expression of Caspase-9 and its prognostic significance in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Methods: The expression of Caspase-9 in 108 specimens of HBV-related HCC, 30 cases of cirrhosis tissue and 20 cases of normal liver tissue was examined by immunohistochemical staining. And we explored the relationship of Caspase-9 with clinicopathological parameters, 5-year overall survival (OS) and disease-free survival (DFS) in HCC patients. Results: Caspase-9 expression in HCC was significantly higher than that in normal liver tissue (χ2 = 4.349, P = 0.037). The expression of Caspase-9 was not different both between normal liver tissue and cirrhosis, cirrhosis and HCC (χ2 = 0.347, P = 0.556; χ2 = 2.713, P = 0.100). Caspase-9 expression in HCC was correlated with Edmondson grade and satellite nodule (P = 0.001 and P = 0.005, respectively). Survival analysis showed that Caspase-9 expression was associated with OS and DFS (P = 0.001 and P = 0.006, respectively). Conclusion: The expression of Caspase-9 correlated with the carcinogenesis and progression of HCC. Assessment the expression of Caspase-9 may predict the recurrence and survival of HCC patients.
Caspase-9, Apoptosis, Prognosis, Hepatocelluar carcinoma
- El-Serag HB, Rudolph KL. (2007) Hepatocellular carcinoma: epidemiology and molecular carcinogenesis. Gastroenterology. 132: 2557-2576. DOI: org/10.1053/j.gastro.2007.04.061
- Johnstone RW， Ruefli AA，Lowe SW．(2002) Apoptosis：a link between cancer genetics and chemotherapy．Celf. 108：153-164. DOI: 10.1007/0-387-26283-0_10
- Zhang Q, Ma S, Liu B, Liu J, Zhu R, Li M.(2016) Chrysin induces cell apoptosis via activation of the p53/Bcl-2/caspase-9 pathway in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Exp Ther Med. 12: 469-474. DOI: 10.3892/etm.2016.3282
- Druskovic M, Suput D, Milisav I. (2006) Overexpression of Caspase-9 Triggers Its Activation and Apoptosis in Vitro. Croat Med J. 47:832-840. DOI: 10.1007/s10495-006-0050-8
- Renatus M, Stenni HR, Scott FL, Liddington RC, Salvesen GS. (2001) Dimer formation drives the activation of the cell death protease caspase-9. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 98: 14250-14255 . DOI: 10.1073/pnas.231465798
- Acehan D, Jiang X, Morgan DG, et al. (2002) Three-dimensional structure of the apoptosome:implications for assembly, pro-caspase-9 binding, and activation. Mol Cell. 9: 423-432.
- Wang CY, Zhang YH, Li HZ, Gao DL, Zhang L, Yin YH. (2005) Expression of Caspase-9 in breast cancer tissue. Journal of Zhengzhou University (Medical Sciences). 40: 810-812. DOI: 10.13705/j.issn.1671-6825.2005.05.004
- Huang S, Feng YZ, Ren SQ. (2007) The Expression and Clinical Significance of NF-κB and Caspase-9 in Pancreatic Carcinoma. Suzhou University Journal of Medical Science. 27: 383-386.
- Ai HY, Qiu XD. (2016) Relationship between pathological characteristics of prostate cancer and MACC1，c-Met，Apaf-1 as well as Caspase-9 expression in tumor tissue. Journal of Hainan Medical University. 22: 1873-1876. DOI：10.13210/j.cnki.jhmu.20160628.008
- Wang YH, Yu YJ. (2013) Expression and role of Caspase-9 in thyroid carcinoma and thyroid benign tumor. Chin J Cancer Prev Treat. 20：354-356. DOI：10.16073/j.cnki.cjcpt.2013.05.012
- Shen XG，Wang C，Li Y，et a1．(2010) Downregulation of caspase-9 is a frequent event in patients with stage II colorectal cancer and correlates with poor clinical outcome. Colorectal Dis. 12：1213-1218．DOI: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2009.02009.x
- Yang J, Wang MJ, Chen Y, Yan Y, Qi JM. (2016) Expression and Clinical significance of Caspase3 and Caspase9 in Gastric Carcinoma. J Clin Exp Pathol. 32: 1159-1161. DOI: 10.13315 /j.cnki.cjcep.2016.10.020
- Chen LZ, Li YQ，SITU MQ, Yan SH, Li W, Wang Q. (2008) Expression and clinical significance of Caspase-9 and Ki-67 in hepatocellular carcinoma. China Medicine. 3: 657-658.
- Guo XD, Li ZW, Yang M, Xiong L. (2014) Expression of Caspase-9 and Survivin in hepatocellular carcinoma tissues and its clinical significance. J Clin Hepatol. 30: 254-256. DOI: 10.3969 /j.issn.1001-5256.2014.03.014
- Scott KL, Alan RC. (1997) Apoptosis and carcinogenesis. British MadicalBullahn. 52:554-569.
- Rust C, Gores GJ. (2000) Apoptosis and liver disease. Am J Med. 108: 567 -574 . DOI: 10.1016-s0002-9343(00)00370-3
- Denault JB， Salvesen GS． (2002) Caspase：key in the ignition of cell death. Chem Rev. 102(12)：4489-4500．DOI: 10.1002/chin.200306268
- Chen H, Zhang CF, Zhang X, Wang HX, Zhao WH, Chen NL. (2010) Expression of Cytochrome c, Caspase-8 and Caspase-9 in hepatocellular carcinoma and their significance. Chin J Clinicians. 4: 2019-2023. DOI: 10.3877/cma.j.issn.1674-0785.2010.10.062
- Sun BH, Zhang J, Wang BJ, Zhao XP, Wang YK, Yu ZQ, Yang DL, Hao LJ. (2000) Analysis of in vivo patterns of caspase-3 gene expression in primary hepatocellular carcinoma and its relationship to p21WAF1 expression and hepatic apoptosis. Gastroenterol. 6: 356-360. DOI: 10.3748/WJG.v6.i3.356
- MUER CE, WEN B, HUANG YF, LIU J. (2014) Study on the relationship between degrees of caspase9 protein expression in primary colon cancer and inflammation around the tumor. JOURNAL OF NORTH SICHUAN MEDICAL COLLEGE. 29: 218-221. DOI: 10. 3969 / j. issn. 1005-3697. 2014. 03. 01
- Wang J, Dou ZX, Wang HC, Zhang WL, Wang YD. (2009) Expressions of survivin and caspase-9 in human primary hepatocellular carcinoma tissues and their significances. Journal of Jilin University. 35: 1119-1122. DOI: 10.13481/j.1671-587x.2009.06.055
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.