The purpose of this study is to seek answers, and find solutions, to the following questions: How should the house-garden relationship be reinforced for a healthy and harmonic life? Can some criteria be determined for the design of the gardens? How can outer spaces be created consciously? This study examined the traditional houses and their gardens in Trabzon, the main focus being more on the gardens. Some of the peculiar characteristics of the garden houses were emphasized. The house-garden types were grouped and were shown schematically. Each element (gates, fountains, wells + fountains, wells, fireplaces) in gardens was explained in terms of house-garden relationship. The types of garden houses have been also studied from the point of view of the plants. To this end, this study investigates the garden-house and garden designs in traditional Trabzon houses that have come down to our present day, and presents data for the new present-day garden-house and garden designs to be made.
Garden, Garden-House Typologies, Historical Houses, Gardens, Plants, Garden Elements (gates, fountains, wells, fireplaces), Green Areas, Traditional Housing, Cloister
- Sağsöz A & Gedikli R 1999; Usage of green element as an increasing factor of visual quality in traditional home near environment, Our Visual Landscape Conference, 23-27 Auqust, Ascona, Switzerland.
- Syme G.J, Fenton D.M, Coakes S 2001; Lot size, garden satisfaction and local park and wetland visitation, Landscape and Urban Planning, 56(3), pp.161-170.
- Egoz S & Bowring J 2004; Beyond the romantic and native: The search for a complex ecological aesthetic design language for landscape architecture in New Zealand, Landscape Research, 29(1), pp.57-73.
- Gedikli R & Özbilen A 2004; A mathematical model to determine unit area size per person needed in a neigborhood park; a case study in Trabzon city (Turkey), Building and Environment, 39, pp.1365-1378.
- Gedikli R. 1993; An Investigation on Housing-Garden Relationship in Traditional Residences of Trabzon City, Faculty of Sciences, KTÜ, Graduate Thesis, Trabzon.
- Thwaites K, Helleur E, Simkins M. 2005; Restorative urban open space: Exploring the spatial configuration of human emotional fulfilment in urban open space, Landscape Research, 30(4), pp.525-547.
- Tzoulas K, Korpela K, Venn S, Yli-Pelkonen V, Kazmierczak A, Niemela J, James P 2007; Promoting ecosystem and human health in urban areas using Green Infrastructure: A literature review, Landscape and Urban Planning, 81(3), pp.167-178.
- Barbosa O, Tratalos J.A, Armsworth P.R, Davies R.G, Fuller R.A, Johnson P, Gaston K.J 2007; Who benefits from access to gren space? A case study Sheffield, UK, Landscape and Urban Planning, 83(2), pp.187-195.
- Kim M.H, Cho T.B, Kim K.H. 2008; Residents attitudes to landscape and ecology of idyllic housing sites: The case of South Korea, Landscape Research, 33(4), pp.487-501.
- Cavia R, Cueto G.R, Suarez O.V 2009; Changes in rodent communities according to the landscape structure in an urban ecosystem, Landscape and Urban Planning, 90(1), pp.1-19.
- Westover T.N 1989; Perceived crowding in recreational setting, Environmental and Behavior, 21(3), pp.258-276.
- Simonds J.O 1994; Garden cities 21, creating a livable urban environment, Mc Graw-Hill, New York.
- Hillman J. 1994; The role of urban parks, Findings of the Symposium Church House Conference Centre, pp.6-7, London.
- Ribe R.G 2005; Aesthetic perceptions of gren-tree retention harvests in vista views, Landscape and Urban Planning, 81(3), pp.167-178.
- Yang J, Zhao L, Mcbride J 2009; Can you see gren? Assessing the visibility of urban forests in cities, Landscape and Urban Planning, 91(2), pp.97-104.
- Colding J 2007; Ecological land-use complementation for building resilience in urban ecosysyems, Landscape and Urban Planning, 81(1), pp.46-55.
- Swensen G, Jerpasen G.B 2008; Cultural heritage in suburban landscape planning, Landscape and Urban Planning, 87(4), pp.289-300.
- Yang B.E, Brown T.J 1982; A cross-cultural comparaison of preferences for landscape styles and landscape elements, Environment and Behavior, 24, pp.471-507.
- Burel F, Baudry J 1995; Social, aesthetic and ecological aspects of hedgerows in rural landscapes as framework for greenways, Landscape and Urban Planning, 33(1), pp.327-340.
- Bhatti M, Church A 2004; Home, the culture of nature and meanings of gardens in late moderniy, Housing Studies, 19(1), pp.37-51.
- Syme G.J, Shao Q, Po M., Campbell E 2004; Predicting and understanding home garden water use, Landscape and Urban Planning, 68(1), pp.121-128.
- Freestone R, Nichols D 2004; Realising new leisure opportunities for old urban parks: The internal reserve in Australia, Landscape and Urban Planning, 68(1), pp.109-120.
- Rogge E, Neves F, Gulinck H 2007; Perception of rural landscapes in Flanders: Looking beyond aesthetics, Landscape and Urban Planning, 82(4), pp.159-174.
- Jim C.Y 1998; Old stone walls as an ecological habitat for urban trees in Hong Kong, Landscape and Urban Planning, 42(1), pp.29-43.
- Gedikli R, Çakıroğlu B 2003; The investigation and preservation of cultural values exist in historical texture through the example of the city Trabzon, II.International City Furniture Symposium & Exhibition, İSTON, 24-27 April, İstanbul.
- Ong B.L 2003; Green plot ratio: an ecological measure for architecture and urban planning, Landscape and Urban Planning, 63(4), pp.197-211.
- Po E, Moreno E, Guardia J, Iniguez L 2002; Identity, quality of life and sustainability in an urban suburb of Barcelona: Adjustment to the city-identity-sustainability network structural model, Environment and Behavior, 34, pp.67-80.
- Walsh K 2008; Mediterranean landscape archaeology: Marginality and the culture-nature divide, Landscape Research, 33(5), pp.547-564.
- Bhatti M, Church A 2000; I never promised you a rose garden: gender, leisure and home making, Leisure Studies, 19 (3), pp.183-197.
- Kenneth G 2007; Japan and China 1: A first attempt at explaining the numerical discrepancy between Japanese style gardens outside Japan and Chinese style gardens outside China, Landscape Research, 32(2), pp.117-146.
- Janssen J, Knippenberg L 2008; The heritage of the productive landscape: Landscape design for rural areas in the Netherlands, 1954-1985, Landscape Research, 33(1), pp.1-28.
- Taylor K 2009; Cultural Landscape and Asia: Reconciling ınternational and Southeast Asian Regional Values, 34(1), pp.7-31.
- Antrop M 2004; Landscape change and the urbanization process in Europe, 67 (1), pp. 9-26.
- Van Eetvelde V, Antrop M. 2004; Analyzing structural and functional changes of traditional landscape-two examples from Southern Frances, Landscape and Urban Planning, 67(1), pp.79-95.
- Turner S 2006; Historic landscape characterisation: A landscape archaeology for research, management and planning, Landscape Research, 31(4), pp.385-389.
- He J.J, Jia B 2007; Sustainable residential landscapes: A case study in Guangzhou, China, Landscape Research, 32(2), pp.241-254.
- Vileniske I.G 2008; Influence of built heritage on sustainable development of landscape, Landscape Research, 33(4), pp.425-437.
- Perry T, Nawaz R 2008; An investiqation into the extent and impacts of hard surfacing of domestic gardens in an area of leeds, United Kinqdom, Landscape and Urban Planning, 86(1), pp.1-13.
- Jim C.Y, Chen W.Y 2009; Value of scenic views: Hedonic assessment of private housing in Honq Konq, Landscape and Urban Planning, 91(4), pp.226-234.
- Kalın A, Gedikli R, Pulatkan M, Acar C 1999; Formal aesthetic characteristics of unique natural landscape as showing difference from its own geography: An assasment for Turkey, Our Visual Landscape Conference, 23-27 August, Ascona, Switzerland.
- Ryan R.L 2005; Exploring the effects of environmental experience on attachment to urban natural areas, Environment and Behavior, 37, pp.3-42.
- Dincyurek O, Mallick H, Numan I 2003; Cultural and environmental values in the arcaded Mesaorian houses of Cyprus, Building and Environment, 38(12), pp.1463-1473.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.