Author(s): Edet Okon Akpanyung, Dennis Uju Nwaokonko, Moses Bassey Ekong, Mfon Monday Ekpo
Download Full PDF
Read Complete Article
Volume 7 - Feb 2018
Aluminium is a hepatotoxic element that is extensively used in the production of household cookware, storage utensils, water purification and in the preparation of some drugs. Conversely, the leaf extract of Moringa oleifera is hepatoprotective amongst other medicinal and nutritional benefits.The present study evaluated the protective effect of ethanol leaf extract of Moringa oleifera on Aluminium induced hepatotoxicity in male albino wistar rats. Eighteen (18) male albino wistar rats weighing between140 and 180 g were divided into 3 groups of 6 animals per group. Group 1 served as control and was given normal rat chow and distilled water; Group 2 was administered 100 mg of Aluminium chloride per kg body weight whereas animals in Group 3 received 300 mg/kg body weight of ethanol leaf extract of Moringa oleifera and 100 mg per kg body weight of Aluminium chloride by oral gavage. The rats were sacrificed after 28 days of treatment. Blood and liver samples were obtained and used for the analyses of some marker enzymes (ALP, AST, ALT); haematological indices; lipid profile and histopathological assessment using standard techniques. The results show that Aluminium chloride increased the activities of ALP, ALT and AST significantly (P<0.05). TC, TG and LDL also increased significantly whereas HDL showed a significant decrease (P<0.05). The RBC count, Hb, PCV, lymphocytes and platelets decreased while WBC count and neutrophils increased significantly (P<0.05). Aluminium chloride caused alterations in the normal histology of the hepatocytes consistent with observed changes in enzyme activities. Administration of ethanol leaf extract of Moringa oleifera moderated the deleterious effects of Aluminium chloride.
Aluminium, Enzymes, Haematology, Histopathology, Lipid, Moringa
- Abbasali, K.M., Zhila T. and Farshad, N. (2005). Developmental toxicity of aluminium from high doses of AlCl3 in mice. The J. of Applied Research, 5, 575-579.
- Abbdel-Wahab, W.M. (2012). AlCl3-induced toxicity and oxidative stress in liver of male rats: protection by melatonin. Life Science Journal, 9(4): 1173-1181.
- Alqayim, M.A.J. (2015). Propolis cardioprotective role from the impact of aluminium chloride in female rabbits. Bas. J. Vet. Res., 14(2):136-149.
- Amaglo, N.K., Bennett, R.N., Lo-Curto, R.B., Rosa, E.A.S., Lo-Turco, V., Giuffrid, A., Lo-Curto, A, Crea, F. and Timpo, G.M. (2010). Profiling selected phytochemicals and nutrients in different tissues of the multipurpose tree Moringa oleifera Lam. grown in Ghana. Food Chemistry, 122, 1047-1054.
- Anacletus, F. C. and Onyegeme-Okerenta, B. M. (2016). Induction of haematological and lipid profile changes by aluminium induced toxicity and ameliorative effects of selected antioxidants on Wistar rats. Health Science Research, 3(3):30-34.
- Anwar, F. and Bhanger, M.I. (2003). Analytical characterization of Moringa oleifera seed oil grown in temperate regions of Pakistan. J. Agric. Food Chem, 51, 6558-6563.
- Anwar, F., Latif S. Ashraf, M. and Gulani, A. H. (2007). Moringa oleifera: A food plant with multiple medicinal uses. Phytotherapy Research, 21, 17-25.
- Bancroft, D., Steves, A. and Turner, R. (1996). Theory and Practice of Histopathological Techniques. 4th ed. Churchill Livingstone, London, pp. 47-67.
- Batzakis, K.G. and Briere, R.O. (1979). Interpretative Enzymology. Thomas Nelson. Springfield. Illinois, pp. 225-242.
- Bhandari, U., Kumar, V., Khanna, N. and Panda, B.P. (2011). The effect of high fat diet induced obesity on cardiovascular toxicity in wistar albino rats. Hum. Exp. Toxicol. 30(9): 1313-1321.
- Bosch, C.H. (2004). Moringa oleifera Lam. Plant Resources of Tropical Africa. PROTA. Wageningen, Netherlands, pp. 1-12.
- Buraimoh, A.A . (2011). Hepatoprotective effect of ethanol leaf extract of Moringa oleifera on the histology of paracetamol induced liver damage in rats. Intl. J. Anim. Vet. Adv., 3, 10-13.
- Dacie, J.V. and Lewis, S.M. (2006). Investigation of haematological disorders. Practical Haematology, Churchill Livingtone, Edinburgh, UK. pp. 177-180.
- Dolara, P. (2014). Occurrence, exposure, effects, recommended intake and possible dietary use of selected trace compounds (aluminium, bismuth, cobalt, gold, lithium, nickel, silver). International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences, 2(1): 415-423.
- Das, D.K. (2003). Cardioprotection with high density lipoproteins. Fact or Fiction? Circ. Res. 93, 258-260.
- Dass, A.P. and Ramoji, P.C (2017). The effect of aqueous ginger extract on aluminium chloride (AlCl3) induced alteration in lipid profile of male Wister rats. International Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, 6, 1-4.
- Divi, S.M., Bellamkonda, R. and Dasireddy, S.K. (2012). Evaluation of antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic potential of aqueous extract of Moringa oleifera in fructose fed insulin resistant and STZ induced diabetic Wistar Rats: A comparative study. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 5, 67-72.
- Doucet, C., Flament, C., Sautier, C. and Lemonnier, D. (1987). Effect of an hypercholesterolemic diet on the level of several serum lipids and apolipoproteins in nine rat strains. Reprod. Nutr. Dev., 27, 897-906.
- Duncan, DB (1955). Multiple Range and Multiple F tests. Biometrics, 11, 1-42.
- Ebenebe, C. I., Umegechi, C. O. and Nweze B. O. (2012). Comparison of haematological parameters and weight changes in broiler chicks fed different levels of Moringa oleifera diet. Int. J. of Agric. and Biosciences, 1, 23-25.
- El-bakry, K., Toson, E., Serag, M. and Aboser.M. (2016). Hepaprotective effect of Moringa oleifera leaves extract against carbon tetrachloride induced liver damage in rats. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 5(5): 76-89.
- Ekong, M.B., Ekpo, M.M., Akpanyung, E.O. and Nwaokonko, D.U. (2017). Neutroprotective effect of Moringa oleifera leaf extract on aluminium induced temporal cortical degeneration. Metabolic Brain Disease, 32(5): 1437-1447.
- Exley, C. (1998). Does antiperspirant use increase the risk of aluminium-related disease including Alzheimer’s disease? Molecular Medicine Today, 4, 107-116.
- Fakurazi, S., Sharifudin, S.A. and Arulselvan, P. (2012). Moringa oleifera hydroethanolic extracts effectively alleviate acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in experimental rats through their antioxidant nature. Molecules, 17, 8334-8350.
- Friedewald, W.T., Levy, R.I. and Fredrickson, D.S (1972). Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma without the use of preparative ultracentrifuge. ClinicalChemistry, 18, 499-502.
- Galle P., Guidicelli C.P.and Nebout T. (1987). Ultrastructural localization of aluminium in hepaotcytes of haemodialysed patients. Ann . Pathol, 7, 163-170.
- Garcia-Medina, S., Razo-Estrada, A.C., Gomez-Olivan, L.M., Amaya-Chavez, A., Bujaidar, M.E. and Galar-Martinez, M. (2010). Aluminium induced oxidative stress in lymphocytes of common carp (Cyprinus carpi). Fish. Physiol. Biochem., 36, 875-882.
- Gauthier E., Fortier I., Courchesne F, Pepin P., Mortimer J. and Gauvreau D. (2000). Aluminium forms in drinking water and risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Environmental Research, 84 (3): 234-246.
- Greger, J.L. (1992). Dietary and other sources of aluminium intake. In: Aluminium in Biology and Medicine. Ciba Foundation Symposium, 169, 26-29.
- Halim, A.B., El-Ahmady, O., Hassab-Allah, S., Abbdel-Galil, F., Hafz, Y. and Darwish, A. (1997). Biochemical effect of antioxidants on lipids and liver function in experimentally induced liver damage. Ann. Clin. Biochem., 34, 656-653.
- Havel, R.J. and Kane, J.P. (2001). Structure and Metabolism of Plasma Lipoproteins. In: The metabolic and molecular basis of inherited diseases. Scriver, C.R., Beaudet, A.L., Sly, W.S., Valle, M.B., Childs, B., Kinzler, K.W. and Vogelstein, B. eds. McGraw Hill, New York, pp. 2705-2716.
- Han, J., Han, J. and Dunn, M.A. (2000). Effect of dietary aluminium on tissue non-heme iron and ferritin levels in the chick. Toxicology, 142(2):97-109.
- Hanchez-Leroy F. (2013). Aluminium in health and food: a gradual global approach. European Review of History, 20(2): 217-236.
- Hsu, R., Midcap, S. and Lucinenne de Witte, A.L. (2006). Moringa oleifera, medical and socio-economic uses. Intl. J. of Econ. Botany, 1, 1-25.
- Igwe, C.U., Onwuliri, V.A., Osuagwu, C.G., Onyeze, G.O.C. and Ojiako, O.A. (2011). Biochemical and haematological studies on ethanol leaf extract of Spondias mombin Linn. Biochem. Anal. Biochem, 1 (1): 1-5.
- Jaeschke, H., Williams, C.D., McGill, M.R., Xie, Y. and Ramachandran, A. (2013). Models of drug induced liver injury for evaluation of phytotherapeutics and other natural products. Food Chem. Toxicol., 55, 279-289.
- John, J., Nampoothiri, M., Kumar, N., Mudgal, J., Nampurath, G.K. and Chanmallamudi, M.R. (2015). Sesamol, a lipid lowering agent ameliorates aluminium chloride induced behavioral and biochemical alterations in rats. Pharmacog. Mag., 11(42): 327-336.
- Kaechny W., Hegg A. and Alfrey A. (1997). Gastrointestinal absorption of aluminium from aluminium containing antacids. New England Journal of Medicine, 296, 1389-1390.
- Kaiser, L. and Schwartz, K.A. (1985). Aluminium-induced anemia. Am. J. Kidney Dis., 6 (5): 348-352.
- Kalaiselvi, A. Aadhinaath, R.G. and Ramalingam, V. (2015). Effect of aluminium chloride and protective effect of ginger extract on hematological profiles of male wistar rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Phytopharmacological Research, 4 (4): 218-222.
- Kwiterovich Jr, P.O. (2000). The metabolic pathways of high density lipoprotein, low density lipoprotein and triglycerides. A current review. American Journal of Cardiology, 86, 5-10.
- Karthivashan, G., Tangestani, F.M., Arulselvan, P., Abas, F. and Fakurazi, S. (2013). Identification of bioactive candidate compounds responsible for oxidative damage from hydroethanolic extract of Moringa oleifera leaves. Journal of Food Science, 78(9): 1368-1375.
- Klein, G. L., Berquist, W. E., Ament, M. E., Coburn, J. W., Miller, N. L. and Alfrey, A. C. (1984). Hepatic aluminium accumulation in children on total parenteral nutrition, Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 35(5): 740-743.
- Kumar, P.S., Mishra, D., Ghosh, G. and Panda, G.S (2010). Medicinal uses and pharmacological properties of Moringa oleifera. Inter. J. Phytomed., 2, 210-216.
- Larkshmi, R., Kundu, R., Thomas, E. and Mansuri, A. P. (1991). Mercuric Chloride induced inhibition of acid and alkaline phosphatase activity in the kidney of mudskipper, Boleopthalnius dentatus. Acta hydrochim.Hydrobiol., 3, 341-344.
- Lee, M.K., Moon, S.S., Lee, S.E., Bok, S.H., Jeong, T.S., Park, Y.B. and Choi, M.S (2003). Naringenin 7-0-cetyl ether as inhibitor of HMG-CoA Reductase and Modulator of Plasma and Hepatic lipids in High-cholesterol Fed Rats. Bioorg Med. Chem., 11, 393.
- Mahmoud, M.E. and Elsoadaa, S.S. (2013). Bioactive effect of ascorbic acid, biopropolis and royal jelly against aluminium toxicity in rats. Journal of Natural Sciences Research, 3 (1): 102-111.
- Malomo, S.O., Adebajo, J.O. and Olorunniji, F.J. (2002). Modulatory effect of vitamin E on some haematological parameters in dihydroartemisinin-treated rats. Trop. J. Health Sci., 9, 15-20.
- Manguro, L.O. and Lemmen, P. (2007). Phenolics of Moringa oleifera leaves. Nat. Prod. Res. 21, 56-68.
- Naik, P. (2010). Biochemistry (3rd edn.). Jaypee Publishers, pp 564-565.
- Nampoothiri, M., John, J., Kumar, N., Mudgal, J., Nampurath, G.K. and Chamallamudi, M.R. (2015). Modulatory role of simvastatin against aluminium chloride induced behavioural and biochemical changes in rats. Behavioural Neurology, Article ID 210169, 9 pages.
- National Research Council (1985). Guide for the care and use of laboratory animals. Publication of the National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD.
- Nehru, B. and Anand, P. (2005). Oxidative damage following chronic aluminium exposure in adult and pup rat brains. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine & Biology, 19, 203-208.
- Newairy, A.S., Salama, A.F., Hussein, H.M. and Yousef, M.I. (2009). Propolin alleviates aluminium induced lipid peroxidation and biochemical parameters in male rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 47(6): 1093-1098.
- Nfambi, J., Bbosa, G.S., Sembajwe, L.F., Gakunga, J. and Kasolo, J.N. (2015). Immunomodulatory activity of methanolic leaf extract of Moringa oleifera in wistar albino rats. J. Basic Clin. Physiol. Pharmacol., 26 (6): 603-611.
- Nussey, G., Van Vuren, J.H.J. and Du Preez, H.H. (2002). The effect of copper and zinc at neutral and acidic pH on the general haematology and osmoregulation of Oreochromis mossambicus. African Journal of Aquatic Science, 27 (1): 61-84.
- Odee, D. (1998). Forest biotechnology research in dry lands of Kenya. J. Dryland Biodivers., 2,7-8.
- Onyegeme-Okerenta, B.M. and Anacletus, F.C. (2016). Hepatoprotective and ameliorative effects of selected antioxidants on aluminium induced toxicity in on Wistar rats. European Journal of Advanced Research in Biological and Life Sciences, 4(2): 24-34.
- Oparinde, D.P., Atiba, A.S., Ajose, O.A., Eludoyin, A.A. and Adesiyan, A.A. (2014). Effect of Moringa oleifera leaf extract on serum lipids and glycaemic control in alloxan induced diabetic albino rats. International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research, 05(10): 519-522.
- Osman, H.M., Shayoub, M.E., Babiker, E.M., Osman, B. and Elhassan, A.M. (2012). Effect of ethanolic leaf extract of Moringa oleifera on aluminium induced anemia in white albino rats. Jordan Journal of Biological Sciences, 5(4): 255-260.
- Parrotta, J.A. (2005). Moringa oleifera Lam. In: Encyclopedia of Woody Plants. USDA Forest Service, International Institute of Tropical Forestry. Ecomed Verlag, Germany, pp. 1-8.
- Peixoto, J.R.O., Silva, G.C., Costa, R.A., de Sousa Fontelle, J.R., Veira, G.H., Filho, A.A. and dos Fernandes Vieira, R.H. (2011). In vitro antibacterial effect of aqueous and ethanolic Moringa leaf extract. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 4(3): 201-204.
- Reddy, P.B. and Rawat, S.S. (2013).Assessment of aquatic pollution using histopathology in fish as a protocol. International Research Journal of Environmental Sciences, 2 (8): 79-82.
- Saalu, L.C., Ogunlade, B., Ajayi, G.O., Oyewopo, A.O., Akunna, G.G. and Ogunmodede, O.S. (2012). The hepatoprotective potentials of Moringa oleifera leaf extract on alcohol induced hepato-toxicity in Wistar rat. American Journal of Biotechnology and Molecular Sciences, 2(1): 6-14.
- Sakthivel, M. (1988). Effects of varying dietary protein level on blood parameters of Cyprinus carpio. Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. Anim. Sci., 97 (4): 363-366.
- Sarin, S., Gupta, V. and Gull, K.D. (1997). Alterations in lipid composition and neuronal injury in primates following chronic aluminium exposure. Biol. Trace Elem. Res., 59,133-143.
- Selvi, A.T. and Alagesan, P. (2017). Toxic effect of aluminium on haematological and immunological profile of African cat fish, Clarias gariepinus. Middle East Journal of Scientific Research, 25 (4): 678-683.
- Sheikh, A., Yeasmin, F., Agarwal, S., Rahman, M., Islam, K., Hossain, E., Hossain, S., Karim, M. R., Nikkon, F., Saud, Z. A., and Hossain, K. (2014). Protective effects of Moringa oleifera Lam. Leaves against arsenic-induced toxicity in mice. Asian Pac. J. Trop. Biomed., 4(1): 353-358.
- Shrivastava, S. (2013). Amelioration of aluminium induced toxicity by Allium sativum. Scientific Research and Assays, 8(4): 168-177.
- Singh, R., Singh, S., Singh, S.P., Jain, I.P. and Singh, S. (2012). Study of alteration in serum lipids by cardio selective beta blockers in albino rats. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Life Science, 2, 166-173.
- Sorenson, J.R., Campbell, I.R., Tepper, L.B. and Lingg, R.D. (1974). Aluminium in the environment and human health. Environmental Health Perspective, 8, 3-95.
- Spencer, A.J., Wood A.J., Saunders, H.C., Freeman, M. S. and Lote C.J. (1995). Aluminium deposition in liver and kidney following acute intravenous administration of aluminium chloride or citrate in conscious rats. Hum. Exper. Toxicol, 14, 787-79.
- Subadra, S., Monica, J. and Dhabhai, D. (1997). Retention and storage stability of beta carotene in dehydrated drumstick leaves. Int. J. of Fd. Science and Nutrition, 48, 373-379.
- Thilza, B., Sanni, S., Zakari A. I., Sanni, F. S., Muhammed, T. and Musa, B.J. (2010). In vitro antimicrobial activity of water extract of Moringa oleifera leaf stalk on bacteria normally implicated in eye diseases. Academia Arena, 2(6): 80-82.
- Toppo, R., Roy, B.K., Gora, R.H., Baxla, S.L. and Kumar, P. (2015).Hepatoprotective activity of Moringa oleifera against cadmium toxicity in rats. Veterinary World, 8(4): 537-540.
- Ugbaja, R.N., Olaniyan, T.O., Afolabi, O.K., Dosumu, O.A., Akinloye, D.I., Mufuatu, A.O. and Nwa-John, O.P (2015). Vitamins C and E attenuate lipid dystrophy in tissues of rats administered aluminium. Biokemistri, 27, 98-105.
- WHO (2010). Aluminium in drinking water. Geneva Switzerland, p. 1.
- WHO/FAO.(1989). Aluminium. In: Evaluation of certain food additives and contaminants. 33rd Report of the joint FAO/WHO expert committee on food additives WHO Technical Report Series, 776, 26.
- Willey, J., Sheerwood, L. and Wodeverton, C. (2013). Prescotts Microbiology 9th ed. McGraw Hill Education.
- Yakubu, M. T., Akanji, M. A., and Oladiji, A. T. (2008). Alterations in serum lipid profile of male rats on oral administration of aqueous extract of Fadogia agrestis stem. Res. J. Med. Plants, 2, 66.
- Yakubu, M.T. and Afoloyan, A.J. (2009). Effect of aqueous extract of Bulbine natalensis (Baker) stem on haematelogical and serum lipid profile of male Wistar Rats. Indian J. of Experimental Biology, 47, 283-288.
- Yakubu, O.E., Nwodo, O.F. C., Imo, C., Abdulrahaman, M. and Uyeh, L. B. (2016). Effects of Vitex doniana leaf extract on aluminium induced toxicity in male albino wistar rats. Journal of Applied Biology and Biotechnology, 4(5): 037-040
- Yakubu, O.E., Nwodo, F.C., Imo, C. and Ogwoni, H.A (2017). Spermatogenic and haematological effects of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of Hymenocardiaacida stem bark on aluminium induced toxicity in male wistar rats. Insights in Biomedicine, 2 (1): 1-5.
- Yokel, R.A. (2000). The toxicology of aluminium in the brain. A review. Neurotoxicology, 21(5):813-828.
- Yuosef, M.I. (2004). Aluminium induced changes in haemato-biochemical parameters, lipid peroxidation and enzyme activities of male rabbits: protective role of ascorbic acid. Toxicology, 199, 47-57.
- Zhang, K. and Zhou, Q. (2005). Toxic effects of aluminium based coagulants on Brassica chimensis and Raphanus sativus growing in acid and neutral conditions. Environmental Toxicology, 20(2): 179-187.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.