Author(s): Rongrong Zheng, Shaofeng Wu, Xiangfeng Jin, Yuhong Liu
Objective To investigate the expression of miR-27a-3p in tumor tissue of patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and explore the effect of miRNA-27a-3p expression on invasion and migration of lung cancer cells. Methods The tumor tissues of 21 NSCLC patients and corresponding adjacent normal tissues were collected for this study and the differences of miR-27a-3p expression levels in tumor tissues and adjacent tissues were detected by real-time fluorescence quantitative PCR. The expression of miR-27a-3p in A549 cells was overexpressed and silenced by transfecting miR-27a-3p mimics and miR-27a-3p inhibitor. And the ability of proliferation and migration of A549 cells after transfecting were detected by MTT and cell scratch assaies. Results The expression levels of miR-27a-3p in tumor tissues of NSCLC patients were significantly higher than adjacent non-cancerous tissues. The proliferation and migration ability of A549 cells were enhanced significantly after overexpression of miR-27a-3p. The silencing of miR-27a-3p expression in A549 cells produces the opposite effect. Conclusion Compared with normal tissues, NSCLC tissues have high expression of miR-27a-3p. Overexpression of miR-27a-3p enhanced the proliferation and migration ability of lung cancer cells. Therefore, miR-27a-3p may be an important regulatory factor in the development of NSCLC.
Non-small-cell lung cancer, MiR-27a-3p, Cell proliferation
- Calin G A, Dumitru C D, Shimizu M, et al. (2002). Frequent deletions and down-regulation of micro- RNA genes miR15 and miR16 at 13q14 in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 99(24), 15524-15529.
- Campayo M, Navarro A, Vinolas N, et al. (2013). Low miR-145 and high miR-367 are associated with unfavourable prognosis in resected nonsmall cell lung cancer. Eur Respir J, 41(5), 1172-1178.
- Chen L, Zhang J, Han L, et al. (2012). Downregulation of miR-221/222 sensitizes glioma cells to temozolomide by regulating apoptosis independently of p53 status. Oncol Rep, 27(3), 854-860.
- Christensen L L, Holm A, Rantala J, et al. (2014). Functional screening identifies miRNAs influencing apoptosis and proliferation in colorectal cancer. PLoS One, 9(6), e96767.
- Feng B, Zhang K, Wang R, et al. (2015). Non-small-cell lung cancer and miRNAs: novel biomarkers and promising tools for treatment. Clin Sci (Lond), 128(10), 619-634.
- Gao Y, Liu Y, Du L, et al. (2015). Down-regulation of miR-24-3p in colorectal cancer is associated with malignant behavior. Med Oncol, 32(1), 362.
- Hatley M E, Patrick D M, Garcia M R, et al. (2010). Modulation of K-Ras-dependent lung tumorigenesis by MicroRNA-21. Cancer Cell, 18(3), 282-293.
- Jiang Y, Duan Y, Zhou, H. (2015). MicroRNA-27a directly targets KRAS to inhibit cell proliferation in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncol Lett, 9(1), 471-477.
- Li J, Tan S, Kooger R, et al. (2014). MicroRNAs as novel biological targets for detection and regulation. Chem Soc Rev, 43(2), 506-517.
- Li J M, Zhou J, Xu Z, et al. (2017). MicroRNA-27a-3p inhibits cell viability and migration through down-regulating DUSP16 in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Cell Biochem. doi:10.1002/jcb.26526
- Nakata W, Uemura M, Sato M, et al. (2015). Expression of miR-27a-3p is an independent predictive factor for recurrence in clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Oncotarget, 6(25), 21645-21654.
- Qiao B, He B X, Cai J H, et al. (2017). MicroRNA-27a-3p Modulates the Wnt/beta-Catenin Signaling Pathway to Promote Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Oral Squamous Carcinoma Stem Cells by Targeting SFRP1. Sci Rep, 7, 44688.
- Reck M, Rabe K F. (2017). Precision Diagnosis and Treatment for Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. N Engl J Med, 377(9), 849-861.
- Seol H S, Akiyama Y, Shimada S, et al. (2014). Epigenetic silencing of microRNA-373 to epithelial-mesenchymal transition in non-small cell lung cancer through IRAK2 and LAMP1 axes. Cancer Lett, 353(2), 232-241.
- Shen K, Mao R, Ma L, et al. (2014). Post-transcriptional regulation of the tumor suppressor miR-139-5p and a network of miR-139-5p-mediated mRNA interactions in colorectal cancer. Febs j, 281(16), 3609-3624.
- Shen Y L, Jiang Y G. (2008). MicroRNA and carcinogenesis. Chinese Journal of Cancer Prevention and Treatment, 15(1), 68-71.
- Si L, Tian H, Yue W, Li L, et al. (2017). Potential use of microRNA-200c as a prognostic marker in non-small cell lung cancer. Oncol Lett, 14(4), 4325-4330.
- Siegel R L, Miller K D, Jemal A. (2017). Cancer Statistics, 2017. CA Cancer J Clin, 67(1), 7-30.
- Tang W, Zhu J, Su S, et al. (2012). MiR-27 as a prognostic marker for breast cancer progression and patient survival. PLoS One, 7(12), e51702.
- Zhang Q, Xu K. (2016). Advances in the Research of Autophagy in EGFR-TKI Treatment and Resistance in Lung Cancer. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi, 19(9), 607-614.
- Zhou L, Liang X, Zhang L, et al. (2016). MiR-27a-3p functions as an oncogene in gastric cancer by targeting BTG. Oncotarget. 7(32): 51943-51954.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.