In this research, an endeavour is made to highlight the experience of lecturers at one institution in response to changes brought about by curriculum re-engineering. In a quest to realign itself with changing professional trends in the education sector, Mutare Teachersâ€™ College (MTC) in Zimbabwe transformed its curriculum from being largely content based to competence and skills based. This was achieved through rebranding the curriculum to give more emphasis to teaching methodology than content in its teacher training programme. The discussion is based on an analysis of data collected through questionnaires and interviews from a sample of twenty out of 104 lecturers. The study revealed that the majority of lecturers perceived emphasis on teaching methodology as being significantly related to good performance of the students on teaching practice. On the basis of this observation, the study recommends instituting a more sustained implementation plan to ensure that there is a total buy-in of the new thrust from all lecturers.
Re-engineering, rebranding, teaching methodology, synchronisation, teaching practice curriculum change
- (Adrian Holliday n.d).Berelson, B. R. (1952) Content Analysis in Communication Research. New York: Free Press
- Bryman, A. (2004) Social Research Methods. (2nd Ed). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Carl, A. (2005) The â€œvoice of the teacherâ€ in curriculum development:A voice crying in the wilderness? South African Journal of Education 2005 EASA Vol 25(4)223â€“228
- Gwati, l.C.K (n.d) Legal framework for quality assurance in Zimbabwe. Microsoft powerpoint accessed 24 March 2013..www.msu.ac.zw/news/
- Humphreys, D. (1998) Diversity and The College Curriculum: How Colleges & Universities Are Preparing Students For a Changing World
- http://www.ibe.unesco.org/Curriculum/Rpack/change.htm accessed 24 March 2013
- Mandoga, E Zenda, T& Mhish, M (2012).Curriculum rebranding: Analysing the impact of emphasizing on teaching methodology as a way of improving teaching practice: A case of Mutare teachersâ€™ College in Zimbabwe. International Journal of Current Research
- Vol. 4, Issue 08, pp. 178-182. August, 2012
- Mutare Teachers College prospectus (2011) Mutare, Zimbabwe. www.mtc.ac.zw
- Sieminski, S. (2010). Adaptations to major curriculum change: the case of Further Education lecturers. PhD thesis, The Open University
- The American Heritage Dictionary of English Language (2000). (4th Ed). Houghton Mifflin Company
- Weller, D. L. (1998) â€œUnlocking the Culture for Quality Schools: Re-engineeringâ€ International Journal of Education Management. Vol.12. No. 6. pp 250 â€“ 259.
- Wiley Online Library. (1991) Science education
- Yin, R. K. (2003a) Case Study Research, Design and Methods. (3rd Ed). Thousand Oaks: Sage
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.