Author(s): Olcay Mülazımoğlu, Yakup Akif Afyon, Selçuk Sayılır, Ayşe Salgın
The aim of this research is to investigate the effects of exercises done by the kinesio-taping technique with 4-week on target shooting accuracy in young archers using olympic recurve bow. Eight athletes (3 females-5 males) (age: 15.63 ± 1.85 years) who competed in different ages and categories were voluntarily participated in the study, with the consent of their families. Athletes trained for 4 weeks through exercising deltoid muscles on the shoulders of grasp arm with a kinesiology tape before training by the help of a specialis. They performed 10 series of arrow shots consisting of three shots a standard olympic recurve bow according to the rules of saloon (18 meter distance) before and after the athletic training. Shooting scores were recorded according to the international scoring system. To determine the difference between the pre-test and post-test shot scores, the paired sample t-test and a correlation analysis between them was performed. The statistical significance (p) value was taken as <0.05. Statistically significant difference was found between pre-test and post-test values of average score of the shooters (p <0.05). This increase in post-test shooting scores in the archers shows that the kinesio-taping on shoulders positively affects the shooting accuracy during 4 weeks of trainings. The use of this method, which is thought to improve shooting accuracy of archers.
Archery, Shooting Accuracy, Kinesio-Taping, Olympic recurve bow, Training
- Aagaard, P., Simonsen, E.B., Trolle, M., Bangsbo, J. & Klausen, K. (1995). Isokinetic hamstring/quadriceps strength ratio: Influence from joint angular velocity, gravity correction and contraction mode. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, 154: 421-427.
- Akbaş, E., Atay, AO., & Yüksel, I. (2010). The effects of additional kinesio taping over exercise in the treatment of patellofemoral pain syndrome. Acta orthopaedica et traumatologica turcica, 45(5); 335-341.
- Aktas, G., & Baltaci, G. (2011). Does kinesiotaping increase knee muscles strength and functional performance?. Isokinetics and Exercise Science, 19(3); 149-155.
- An, HM., Miller, CG., McElveen, M., & Lynch, JM. (2012). The effect of kinesio tape® on lower extremity functional movement screen™ scores. International Journal of Exercise Science, 5(3); 2.
- Arslanoğlu E, Güzel NA & Çilli B.( 2014). The effect of kinesiotaping technique on quadriceps muscle strength of healthy subjects. Kafkas J Med Sci, 4(1); 23–26.
- Bicici, S., Karatas, N., & Baltaci, G. (2012). Effect of athletic taping and kinesiotaping® on measurements of functional performance in basketball players with chronic inversion ankle sprains. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 7(2); 154.
- Callegari, D.A., Cordova, C.E., Dunievitz, J.R. (2012). Kinesio taping on short-term changes in shoulder strength in healthy adults: A randomized clinical trial. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- Castro-Sanchez, AM., Lara-Palomo, IC., Matarán-Peñarrocha, GA., Fernández-Sánchez, M., Sánchez-Labraca, N., & Arroyo-Morales, M. (2012). Kinesio Taping reduces disability and pain slightly in chronic non-specific low back pain: a randomised trial. Journal of physiotherapy, 58(2); 89-95.
- Chang, HY., Chou, KY., Lin, JJ., Lin, CF., & Wang, CH. (2010). Immediate effect of forearm Kinesio taping on maximal grip strength and force sense in healthy collegiate athletes. Physical Therapy in Sport, 11(4); 122-127.
- Chang, HY., Wang, CH., Chou, KY., & Cheng, SC. (2012). Could forearm kinesio taping improve strength, force sense, and pain in baseball pitchers with medial epicondylitis? Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, 22(4); 327-333.
- Chen, SM., Alexander, R., Lo, SK., & Cook, J. (2012). Effects of Functional Fascial Taping on pain and function in patients with non-specific low back pain: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Clinical Rehabilitation, 26(10); 924-933.
- Christou, EA. (2004). Patellar taping increases vastus medialis oblique activity in the presence of patellofemoral pain. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 14(4); 495-504.
- Cohen J. (1988). The effect size. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 77-83.
- Çeliker, R., Guven, Z., Aydog, T., Bagis, S., Atalay, A., Yagci, HC., & Korkmaz, N. (2011). The kinesiologic taping technique and its applications/Kinezyolojik bantloma teknigi ve uygulama alanlari. Turkish Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 57(4); 225-236.
- Ertan, H., Kentel, B., Tümer, ST., & Korkusuz, F. (2003). Activation patterns in forearm muscles during archery shooting. Human Movement Science, 22(1); 37-45.
- Fratocchi, G., Di Mattia, F., Rossi, R., Mangone, M., Santilli, V., & Paoloni, M. (2013). Influence of Kinesio Taping applied over biceps brachii on isokinetic elbow peak torque. A placebo controlled study in a population of young healthy subjects. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 16(3); 245-249.
- Frazier, S., Whitman, J., & Smith, M. (2006). Utilization of kinesio tex tape in patients with shoulder pain or dysfunction: a case series. Advanced Healing, 18-20.
- Fu, TC., Wong, AM., Pei, YC., Wu, KP., Chou, SW., & Lin, YC. (2008). Effect of Kinesio taping on muscle strength in athletes - a pilot study. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 11(2); 198-201.
- Gonzalez-Iglesias, J., Fernández-de-Las-Peñas, C., Cleland, J., Huijbregts, P., & Gutiérrez-Vega, M. DR. (2009). Short-term effects of cervical kinesio taping on pain and cervical range of motion in patients with acute whiplash injury: a randomized clinical trial. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 39(7); 515-521.
- Hikita, Y. (2009). The acute effects of kinesio taping on throwing velocity in NCAA Division I, II, and III baseball pitchers (Doctoral dissertation, California University of Pennsylvania).
- Hsu, YH., Chen, WY., Lin, HC., Wang, WT., & Shih, YF. (2009). The effects of taping on scapular kinematics and muscle performance in baseball players with shoulder impingement syndrome. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 19(6); 1092-1099.
- Jackson, K., Simon, JE., & Docherty, CL. (2016). Extended use of kinesiology tape and balance in participants with chronic ankle instability. Journal of Athletic Training, 51(1); 16-21.
- Kase K, Wallis J & Kase T. (2003). Clinical therapeutic application of the kinesio taping method. Tokyo, Japan: Ken Ikai Co Ltd .
- Kaya, E., Zinnuroglu, M., & Tugcu, I. (2011). Kinesio taping compared to physical therapy modalities for the treatment of shoulder impingement syndrome. Clinical Rheumatology, 30(2); 201-207.
- Leroyer, P., Van Hoecke, J., & Helal, J. N. (1993). Biomechanical study of the final push‐pull in archery. Journal of Sports Sciences, 11(1); 63-69.
- Lewis, J. S., Wright, C., & Green, A. (2005). Subacromial impingement syndrome: the effect of changing posture on shoulder range of movement. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 35(2); 72-87.
- Lin, JJ., Hung, CJ., Yang, CC., Chen, HY., Chou, FC., & Lu, TW. (2010). Activation and tremor of the shoulder muscles to the demands of an archery task. Journal of sports sciences, 28(4); 415-421.
- Lumbroso, D., Ziv, E., Vered, E., & Kalichman, L. (2014). The effect of kinesio tape application on hamstring and gastrocnemius muscles in healthy young adults. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 18(1); 130-138.
- Nishizono, H., Shibayama, H., Izuta, T., & Saito, K. (2008, December). Analysis of archery shooting techniques by means of electromyography. In ISBS-Conference Proceedings Archive (Vol.1,No. 1).
- Nosaka, K. (1999). The effect of kinesio taping® on muscular micro-damage following eccentric exercises. In 15th Annual Kinesio Taping International Symposium Review (pp. 70-73). Kinesio Taping Association Tokyo.
- Osborn K. (2009). Tape it up: Kinesio taping facilitates movement, while offering support. Massage Body, 24:52-8.
- Pukhov, AM., Moiseev, SA., Ivanov, SM., & Gorodnichev, RM. (2015). Laws of motion control in elite archers. Theory and Practice of Physical Culture, (6); 7-7.
- Schiffer T, Möllinger A, Sperlich B & Memmert D. (2015). Kinesio taping and jump performance in elite female track and field athletes. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 24(1).
- Serra, MV., Vieira, ER., Brunt, D., Goethel, MF., Gonçalves, M., & Quemelo, PR. (2015). Kinesio Taping effects on knee extension force among soccer players. Brazilian Journal of Physical Therapy, 19(2); 152-158.
- Sharma HS, Singh NS & Singh TB. (2015). Effectiveness of six weeks training on static strength of archery players. IJPESH, 1(5); 34-36.
- Thelen, MD., Dauber, JA., & Stoneman, PD. (2008). The clinical efficacy of kinesio tape for shoulder pain: a randomized, double-blinded, clinical trial. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 38(7); 389-395.
- Turan, S., & Çilli, M. (2016). Farklı ısınma yöntemlerinin olimpik okçulukta atış performansına etkisi. Online Türk Sağlık Bilimleri Dergisi, 1(1); 13-20.
- Whittingham, M., Palmer, S., & Macmillan, F. (2004). Effects of taping on pain and function in patellofemoral pain syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 34(9); 504-510.
- Williams, S., Whatman, C., Hume, PA., & Sheerin, K. (2012). Kinesio taping in treatment and prevention of sports injuries. Sports Medicine, 42(2); 153-164.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.