Author(s): Ini Ekpe, Esua Orok Udosen, Dennis Amaechi, Benjamin Yisa
The lipid profile status of streptozotocin induced diabetic rats treated with ethanolic extract of Tecoma stans and Costus afer leaves using seventy (70) male wistar rats divided into five (5) parallel group consisting of diabetic (DC) and non diabetic (ND) groups of seven (7) rats per group. Group I received placebo (Control) Group II received insulin (humulin 5mg/kg body weight) Group II received Ts 250mg/kg Body weight) Group IV, received Ca (200mg/kg Body weight) Group V received combined extracts TS (150mg/kg body weight) A and a (100mg/kg body weight). The extracts were administered orally while insulin was subcutaneously. The treatment lasted for 21 days after which the animals were sacrificed and whole blood was collected for biochemical analysis. There was no significant increase in total cholesterol among insulin, Tecoma stans and combined therapy when compared to NC. HDL-C was significantly (P<0.05) higher in non diabetic group treated with Costus afer and combined therapy compared to NC, insulin and Tecoma stans in the non diabetic group while the total cholesterol levels in the serum was significantly (p<0.05) higher in diabetic control group and those administered insulin, Tc and Ca compared in NC. HDL-C concentration in Tecoma stans and Costus afer treated group were significantly increased (P<0.005) compared to NC in diabetic study group. From the result obtained from the study, it may be concluded that the ethanolic extracts of Tecoma stans and Costus afer leaves has hypolipidemic, hepatoprotective properties and may be able to alleviate oxidative stress induced by streptozotocin in wistar rats.
Ts-Tecoma stans, Ca-Costus afer, Cardiovascular Disease, Antioxidant
- Aweke, G. (2007). Costus afer (Ker gracol) in Schmelzer G. H. & Guribaukin A, (Eds) Plant resources of tropical Africa (PROTA), 10 (1), 39 – 50.
- Burkill, H.M. (1985). The useful plants of West Tropical Africa. Kew: Royal Botanical Gardens, 686
- Campillo, J. E., Torres, M. D., Dominguez, E., Romero, A. & Peres C. (1994). Ficuscarica leaf administration reduces hypotriglyceridaemia in stroptozocin diabetic rats. Diabetologia, 37 (1): 213
- Cignarella, A., Nastasi, M., Cavalla E. & Puglisi, L. (1998). Novel lipid lowering properties of vaccinium myrtillus L. Leaves a traditional anti diabetes treatment in several models of dyslipidemia: A comparism with ciprofibrate, thromocytus Research, 84 (5) : 311 – 322.
- Dennis Amaechi, E. O Udosen, E. E Edet, E. E Asanga and I. E Mbakwe (2015). Lipid profile status of Streptozotocin induced diabetes rats treated with Ethanolic leaf extract of Solenostemon monostachyus. Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, 9(8), 289 – 293
- Dominguez, E., Canal, J. R., Torres, M. D., Campillo, J. E & Peres, C. (1996). Hypolidemic activity of Ficuscarica leaf in Streptozotocin diabetic rats. Phytoherapy Research, 10:526 – 528
- Duze, B.N, Sewani-Pusike, C.R & Nkeh-Chungag. B.N (2012). Effects of ethanolic extract of Garcina kola on glucose and lipid levels in Streptozotocin induced diabetic rats.African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(33):8309-8315.
- Edeoga, H.O & Okoli, B. E (2000). Chromosome numbers of Costus lucasnusianus (costaceae) in Nigeria. Folia Geobatanical, 35: 315 – 318
- Iwu, M.M (1983). Traditional Igbo medicine. Enugu Institute of African studies, 213
- Kameshwaran, S., Velayutham, S.& Ganesan, A. (2012). CNS depressant activity of different extracts of Tecoma stans flowers.Asian Journal of Traditional Medicines,7(1):39-43.
- Kiritikar, K. R. & Basu, B.D (1999). Indian Medicinal Plants. New Delhi: International book distributors, 2553
- Lozoya – Mockers, M., & Mellado – campos, V (1985). The Tecoma stans infusion: An anti- diabetic remedy. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 14: 0378 – 8741.
- Maria, P.S. & Ronald B.G.(2006).Lipid management in type 2 diabetes.Clinical Diabetes,24(1):27-32.
- Marzouk, MJ, Gamal – Eldeen, A., Mohammed, M. & El-Sayod, M. (2006). Anti proliferative and antioxidant constituents from Tecoma stans IZ natur forsch (c) 61:783-791
- Perez C., Canal, J. R. & Campillo, J. E. (1999). Hypotriglyceridaemic activity of fiscus Carica leaves in experimental hypertriglyceridiamic rats. Phytotherapy Research, 13: 188 – 191
- Ranjan Gini, K., Kanungoa, S. K. & Tripathi, N. K. (2012). Lipid lowering activity of the hydro-alcoholic extract of Tecoma stans linn. Flowers in hyperlipidemic models.Current Pharmacology and Biotechnology, 13:112 - 123
- Roman-Ramos, R., floros – Saeiz, J. L Partida Hernandoz,, Hara – lemus, A. & Acarcon – aguilar, F. (1991) Experimental study of the hypoglycemie effect of some antidiabetic plants. Archivies of investigative Medicine (Mexico), 22: 87 – 73.
- SenthiIkumar, C. S. Sureshkumar, M & Pandian, M. R (2010). In vitro anti bacterial activity of crude leaf extract from Tecoma stans (L) juss ex kunth, Colues forskohlii and Pogostemon Patechouliaga insthuman pathogenic bacteria. International Journal of Pharm Tech Research 2(1): 438 – 442.
- Singh A. P. (2005). Relevance of polyherbal formulations, retrieved December 16 2012 from www.ayurredia.com
- Soladoye, M.O & Oyosika, O. O (2008). A textbook of Medicinal Plants from Nigeria Lagos: University of Lagos press, 628.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.