Author(s): Farhana Maqbool, Seema Singh, Tareq A. wani, Mudasir Ahmad, Bashir A. Ganai, Mahroofa Jan
Due to overexploitation from the natural resources, an efficient regeneration protocol for medicinally important and rare plant species, Atropa acuminate for conservation was developed. Leaf explants were inoculated on MS medium supplemented with different concentrations of BAPfor callus induction and organogenesis. After one and a half week, callus induction was recorded with the highest frequency at 3mg/l BAP. After 3 weeks of subsequent sub-culturing, optimum shoot induction frequency of 100% was achieved at 3mg/l BAP. Also, highest mean shoot numbers per explant (15.2) were recorded at the same concentration. Successful in vitro rooting of the microshoots was achieved on MS medium fortified with(0.5mg/l)IBA. The regenerated shoots with well developed roots were successfully acclimatized in vermicompost and hardened with 100% survival rate under greenhouse conditions. Furthermore, methanolic extract of in vitro regenerated plants were screened forimportant secondary metabolites and antioxidant potential. Alkaloids, phenolics, flavonoids and terpenes were present abundantly. Also, the plants revealed antioxidant activity in dose dependent manner. Current study can serve as an efficient protocol for mass multiplication and conservation of medicinally important plant A. acuminata.
Atropa acuminata, Callus, Micropropagation, antioxidant, DPPH
- Phillipson, JD, and Handa, SS. (1975). N-oxides of hyoscyamine and hyoscine in the Solanaceae.Phytochemistry.14: 999-1003.
- Kaul, MK. (1997). Medicinal plants of Kashmir and Ladakh. Indus Publications, New Delhi, India pp. 173.
- Mehmood, MA, Anis, I., Khan, PM., Riaz, M., Makhmoor, T., and Choudhary, MI. (2002).Highly oxygenated triterpenes from the roots of Atropaacuminata. Natural Product Letters.16: 371–376.
- Jayakanthi, J, Dhanarajan, MS., and Vijay, T. (2011). Found main constituents of Atropa acuminata belongs to monoterpene, sesquiterpene, phenylpropanoid, flavonoid and quinine. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.3: 0975-1491.
- Wani, AP, Nawchoo, IA., and Wafia, BA. (2007). Improvement of sexual destination in AtropaacuminataRoyle (Solanaceae)-a critically endangered medicinal plant of northwestern Himalaya Pakistan Journal of Biological Science.10: 778-782.
- Hussain, A, Qarshi, IA., Nazir, H., Ullah, I., Rashid, M., and Shinwari,ZK. (2013)In vitro callogenesis and organogenesis in TaxuswallichianaZucc.The Himalayan Yew. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 45: 1755-1759.
- Zarate, R, Cantos, M.,andTroncoso, A. (1997).Induction and development of adventitious shoots of Atropabaeticaas a means of propagation.Euphytica.94: 361-366.
- Abbasi, BH, Rashid, A., Khan, MA.,Shinwari, ZK., Ahmad, N., and Mahmood, T. (2011).In vitro plant regeneration in Sinapisalbaand evaluation of its radical scavenging activity. Pakistan Journal of Botany.43:21-27.
- Ahuja, AM, and Sambyal, SK. (2000).In vitro propagation and conservation of Atropa acuminataRoyle ex Lindi-An indigenous threatened medicinal plant.Journal of Plant Biochemistryand Biotechnology.11: pp121-124.
- Hussain, A, Naz, S., Nazir, H.,andShinwari, ZK. (2011). Tissue culture of black pepper (Piper nigrumL.) in Pakistan.Pakistan Journal of Botany.43:pp1069-1078.
- Biswas, K, Chattopadhyay, I., Banerjee, RK.,and Bandyopadhyay, U. (2002).Biological activities and medicinal properties of neem (Azadirachtaindica).Current Science.82:1336-1345.
- Cragg, GM, Newman, DJ.,and Snader, KM. (1997). “Natural products in drug discovery and development” Journal of Natural Products.60: 52-60.
- Shivhare, Y, Singh, P., and Singh.S. (2010). “Ethanobotanical and ethano pharmacological profile of Abutilon indicum Linn, A Review”, Der Pharmacia Sinica.1:40-45.
- Srivastava, SP, Singh, P., Mishra, GKK,Jha, KK.,and Khosa, RL. (2011). “Costus speciosus (Keukand): A review”, Der Pharmacia Sinica.2:118-128,
- Sen, S, Chakraborty, R., Sridhar, C., Reddy, YSR.,and De, B. (2010). “Free radicals, antioxidants, diseases and phytomedicines: current status and future prospect.” International Journal ofPharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research.3:91– 100.
- Droge, W. (2002). “Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function,” Physiological Reviews.82:47–95.
- Sharma, S, Nagpal, A.,andVig, AP. (2012).“Genoprotective potential of Brassica juncea(L.) Czern.against mercury-induced genotoxicity in AlliumcepaL.” Turkish Journal of Biology.36:622–629.
- Shah, Syed Naseer, Tareq Ahmad Wani, Bhimi Ram, Monika Koul, Praveen Awasthi, Deependra Singh Rajput, and Gillela Ravi Shanker Reddy (2016). An efficient protocol for in vitro organogenesis and antioxidant studies in Meliadubia Cav." African Journal of Biotechnology 15, no. 19: 768-775.
- Ray, BP, Hassan, L., and Nasiruddin, KM (2011).In vitro regeneration of brinjal (SolanumMelongenaL.) Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research.36: 397-406.
- Bhatnagar, P, Bhatnagar, M., Nath, AK.,and Sharma, DR. (2004).Production of solasodine by Solanumlaciniatum using plant tissue culture technique. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 42: 1020-1023.
- Fatima, N, and Anis, M. (2012). Role of growth regulators on in vitro regeneration and histological analysis in indian ginseng (WithaniasomniferaL.) Dunal.Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants.18: 59-67
- Joshi, H, Nekkala, S., Sooner, D., Kher, MM.,and Nataraj, M. (2016).In vitro shoot multiplication of Withaniacoagulans(Stocks) Dunal. Plant Tissue Culture and Biotechnology.26: 187‐195.
- Amiri, S,Kazemitabar, SK., Ranjbar., GA., and Azadbakht,M. (2011).In vitro propagation and whole plant regeneration from callus in Datura (Daturastramonium. L). AfrricanJournal of Biotechnology.10: 442-448.
- Amerjothy, S, Ezhilarasi, R., and Shanmugakumar, SD. (2007). Antimicrobial Assay of the leaf extracts of Xanthium indicumKoen. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 3: 196-197
- Ahmad, N, Fazal, H., Abbasi, BH., Rashid,M.,Mahmood, T.,andFatima,N. (2010) Efficient regeneration and antioxidant potential in regenerated tissues of Piper nigrumL. Plant Cell Tisue Organ Culture.102: 129-134.
- Wani T, Rana S, Bhat W, Pandith S, Dhar N, Razdan S, Chandra S, Sharma N, Lattoo SK (2016). Efficient In Vitro Regeneration, Analysis of Molecular Fidelity and Agrobacterium tumifaciens-Mediated Genetic Transformation of Grewia asiatica L. Journal of Plant Biochemistry & Physiology 2016
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.