Author(s): Yu Song, Xiaohua Han
Download Full PDF
Read Complete Article
Volume 8 - Mar 2019
7, 8-dihydroxyflavone (7, 8-DHF), a newly-selective tyrosine kinase receptor B (TrkB) agonist, has been well studied for its neurotrophic functions. Our previous study has shown that 7,8-DHF could exert potent neuroprotective effect against 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA)-induced cytotoxicity in PC12 cells without TrkB receptor expression. Howerer, this phenomenon induced by 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium(MPP+) has not been elucidated. This study is designed to investigate whether heme oxygenase-1(HO-1)signaling pathway mediate the protection by 7,8-DHF. The results were as follows: MTT assay showed that treatment with MPP+ significantly suppressed the cell viability. 7,8-DHF pretreatment suppressed MPP+-induced cytotoxicity and providing strong protection in PC12 cells. Incubation of 7,8-DHF with the PC12 cells up to 6 h showed it up-regulated the HO-1 expression. Moreover, the PC12 cells pretreatment with ZnPP were found to partially block the protective effect of 7,8-DHF. The present results provided the evidence that 7,8-DHF could protect the PC12 cells against MPP+-induced cytotoxicity through HO-1 pathway.
7, 8-Dihydroxyflavone, 1-Methyl-4-Phenylpyridinium, PC12 Cells, Heme Oxygenase-1, ZnPP
- Lang, A.E., The progression of Parkinson disease: a hypothesis. Neurology, 2007. 68(12): p. 948-52.
- Langston, J.W., The Parkinson's complex: parkinsonism is just the tip of the iceberg. Ann Neurol, 2006. 59(4): p. 591-6.
- Olanow, C.W. and W.G. Tatton, Etiology and pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease. Annu Rev Neurosci, 1999. 22: p. 123-44.
- Vila, M. and S. Przedborski, Genetic clues to the pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease. Nat Med, 2004. 10 Suppl: p. S58-62.
- Schapira, A.H., Mitochondria in the aetiology and pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease. Lancet Neurol, 2008. 7(1): p. 97-109.
- Schulz, J.B., Update on the pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease. J Neurol, 2008. 255 Suppl 5: p. 3-7.
- Surh, Y.J. and H.K. Na, NF-kappaB and Nrf2 as prime molecular targets for chemoprevention and cytoprotection with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytochemicals. Genes Nutr, 2008. 2(4): p. 313-7.
- Kweon, M.H., et al., Constitutive overexpression of Nrf2-dependent heme oxygenase-1 in A549 cells contributes to resistance to apoptosis induced by epigallocatechin 3-gallate. J Biol Chem, 2006. 281(44): p. 33761-72.
- Niture, S.K., R. Khatri, and A.K. Jaiswal, Regulation of Nrf2-an update. Free Radic Biol Med, 2014. 66: p. 36-44.
- Khurana, N. and A. Gajbhiye, Ameliorative effect of Sida cordifolia in rotenone induced oxidative stress model of Parkinson's disease. Neurotoxicology, 2013. 39: p. 57-64.
- Lu, S.H., T.H. Chen, and T.C. Chou, Magnolol Inhibits RANKL-induced osteoclast differentiation of raw 264.7 macrophages through heme oxygenase-1-dependent inhibition of NFATc1 expression. J Nat Prod, 2015. 78(1): p. 61-8.
- Neis, V.B., et al., Involvement of Heme Oxygenase-1 in Neuropsychiatric and Neurodegenerative Diseases. Curr Pharm Des, 2018. 24(20): p. 2283-2302.
- Devi, L. and M. Ohno, TrkB reduction exacerbates Alzheimer's disease-like signaling aberrations and memory deficits without affecting beta-amyloidosis in 5XFAD mice. Transl Psychiatry, 2015. 5: p. e562.
- Jang, S.W., et al., Deoxygedunin, a natural product with potent neurotrophic activity in mice. PLoS One, 2010. 5(7): p. e11528.
- Gupta, V.K., et al., Protective effects of 7,8-dihydroxyflavone on retinal ganglion and RGC-5 cells against excitotoxic and oxidative stress. J Mol Neurosci, 2013. 49(1): p. 96-104.
- Chen, J., et al., Antioxidant activity of 7,8-dihydroxyflavone provides neuroprotection against glutamate-induced toxicity. Neurosci Lett, 2011. 499(3): p. 181-5.
- Zhang, R., et al., Preventive effect of 7,8-dihydroxyflavone against oxidative stress induced genotoxicity. Biol Pharm Bull, 2009. 32(2): p. 166-71.
- Han, X., et al., Antioxidant action of 7,8-dihydroxyflavone protects PC12 cells against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced cytotoxicity. Neurochem Int, 2014. 64: p. 18-23.
- Kang, J.S., et al., Schisandrae semen essential oil attenuates oxidative stress-induced cell damage in C2C12 murine skeletal muscle cells through Nrf2mediated upregulation of HO1. Int J Mol Med, 2015. 35(2): p. 453-9.
- Ryu, M.J., et al., 7,8-Dihydroxyflavone protects human keratinocytes against oxidative stress-induced cell damage via the ERK and PI3K/Akt-mediated Nrf2/HO-1 signaling pathways. Int J Mol Med, 2014. 33(4): p. 964-70.
- Woldu, A.S. and J. Mai, A novel relationship between the radical-scavenging activity of flavonoids and enthalpy of formation revealed with Hartree-Fock computations and thermochemical deduction. Redox Rep, 2012. 17(3): p. 115-30.
- Melidou, M., K. Riganakos, and D. Galaris, Protection against nuclear DNA damage offered by flavonoids in cells exposed to hydrogen peroxide: the role of iron chelation. Free Radic Biol Med, 2005. 39(12): p. 1591-600.
- Ryu, M.J., et al., Effect of 7, 8-dihydroxyflavone on the up-regulation of Nrf2-mediated heme oxygenase-1 expression in hamster lung fibroblasts. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim, 2014. 50(6): p. 549-54.
- Singer, T.P., et al., Biochemical events in the development of parkinsonism induced by 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine. J Neurochem, 1987. 49(1): p. 1-8.
- Nicklas, W.J., I. Vyas, and R.E. Heikkila, Inhibition of NADH-linked oxidation in brain mitochondria by 1-methyl-4-phenyl-pyridine, a metabolite of the neurotoxin, 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,5,6-tetrahydropyridine. Life Sci, 1985. 36(26): p. 2503-8.
- Mizuno, Y., et al., Inhibition of mitochondrial respiration by 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) in mouse brain in vivo. Neurosci Lett, 1988. 91(3): p. 349-53.
- Gorojod, R.M., et al., Heme Oxygenase-1 protects astroglia against manganese-induced oxidative injury by regulating mitochondrial quality control. Toxicol Lett, 2018. 295: p. 357-368.
- Kaspar, J.W., S.K. Niture, and A.K. Jaiswal, Nrf2:INrf2 (Keap1) signaling in oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med, 2009. 47(9): p. 1304-9.
- Jaiswal, A.K., Nrf2 signaling in coordinated activation of antioxidant gene expression. Free Radic Biol Med, 2004. 36(10): p. 1199-207.
- Ye, Q., et al., Astaxanthin protects against MPP(+)-induced oxidative stress in PC12 cells via the HO-1/NOX2 axis. BMC Neurosci, 2012. 13: p. 156.
- Jiang, G., et al., Gastrodin protects against MPP(+)-induced oxidative stress by up regulates heme oxygenase-1 expression through p38 MAPK/Nrf2 pathway in human dopaminergic cells. Neurochem Int, 2014. 75: p. 79-88.
- Lee, C., et al., Attenuation of beta-amyloid-induced oxidative cell death by sulforaphane via activation of NF-E2-related factor 2. Oxid Med Cell Longev, 2013. 2013: p. 313510.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.