Author(s): Akintelu Sunday Adewale, Abiola babawale Emmanuel, Ajayi Samuel Oluwakayode, Olabemiwo Ojeyemi Matthew
The safety level of herbal drugs especially those that are produced in developing countries are of great concern to all stakeholders in health care system. The effects of aqueous extracts of five randomly selected locally produced antimalarial herbal drugs in South Western Nigeria on the biochemical and heamatological parameters of the blood of wistar albino rats were examined. Thirty three rats of both sex and of weight range 180 -200g were acclimatized for two weeks, after which they were randomly distributed into six groups (control,1,2,3,4 and 5 respectively) and each group containing three rats. The rats were then fed with standard animal feed (Adose animal feed) and water. Exactly 2 mL of the aqueous extract of each herbal drug was administered to the rats using annular syringe at doses of 200mg and 400mg/kg/day for a period of two weeks. At the end of the treatment, the rats were sacrificed and biochemical and heamatological analyses of their blood performed. The value of heamatological parameter examined in this study (Red blood count (RBC), Mean cell volume (MCV), Heamogobin and packed cell volume (PVC)) fell within the standard ranges but there were significant differences in all the values of heamatological parameters of control and test rats (p< 0.05) except PCV. All the biochemical parameters of the test rats showed a significant difference in the acid phosphatase, alkaline phosphatase and the albumin compared to the control (p< 0.05) except total protein.
Heamatological Parameter, Biochemical Parameter, Malaria, Herbal Drugs
- Abou-Arab A..K, Kawther M. S , El Tantawy M.E., Ismail Badeaa R., Naguib Khayria(1999) Quantity estimation of some contaminants in commonly used medicinal plants in the Egyptian market. Food Chemistry 67 (1999) 357-363
- Adeleye G.S, Nneli R.,Nwozor C.M and Emesiana M.C (2012) Effects of Coartem and Artesunate on Some Haematological and Biochemical Parameters in Albino Rats Afr. J. Biomed. Res.Vol.15; 55 - 581
- Ajibade, T. O. and Soetan, K. O (2012) Evaluation of haematological and plasma biochemical effects of aqueous extracts of Parkiabiglobosa seeds in rats. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 11(88), pp. 15446-15450
- Akintelu S.A, Abiola B E., Ajayi S O. and Olabemiwo OM. (2018) Quantification and Preliminary Estimation of Toxic Effects of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon in some Antimalarial Herbal Drugs in Southwest Nigeria. Bulletin of Pharmaceutical Research 8(1):152
- Ali, D.A., A.M. Abdeen, M.F. Ismail and M.A. Mostafa, 2013. Histological, ultrastructural and immunohistochemical studies on the protective effect of ginger extract against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in male rats. Toxicol. Ind. Health.
- Canada Council of Animal Care (CCAC) (1980) Guide to the care of experimental animal.1:95-96
- Dacie J.V and Lewis S.M, (1984) Practical Haematology. Churchill livingstoneNewyork USA PP 202-453.
- Dike E.C and Luteino L.H (2015). Effect of Aqueous Extract of MoringaOleifera Seed on Haematological Parameters and the Spleen in Male Albino Rats. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences e-ISSN: 2279-0853, p-ISSN: 2279-0861.Volume 14, PP 35-41
- Elinav, E., Pinsker, G., Safadi, R., Pappo, O., Bromberg, M., Anis, E. (2007). Association between consumption of Herbalife-nutritional supplements and acute hepatotoxicity. J Hepatol, 2007, 47, 514–520
- Guyton, A.C. and Hall, J.E. (2006) Textbook of Medical Physiology. 11th Edition, Elsevier Saunders, Amsterdam.
- Isaac, L. J., Abah, G., Akpan, B. and Ekaette, I. U. (2013). Haematological properties of different breeds and sexes of rabbits. Proc. of the 18th Annual Conf. of Anim. Sci. Assoc. of Nig., 24-27.
- Iwona R and Eugeniusz H (2014) Hematological and biochemical blood parameters in dairy cows depending on the management system Animal Science Papers and Reports vol. 32 (2014) no. 4, 317-325
- Iwu M.M, Duncan A.R, Okunji C.O (1999). New Antimicrobials of plant origin. In Janick, J. (ed) Perspectives in New crops and New uses. ASHS Press, Alexandria, V.A. pp 457-462
- Kandeepan c (2014) Effect of Stress on Haematological Parameters of Air Breathing Loach Lepidocephalusthermalis(Cuv&Val). International journal current research and academic review 2(8): Pg 309-322
- Kinney T.R, Ronald W, Helms E.E, Branski K.O (1999). Safety ofhydroxy Urea in children with sickle cell anaemia: Results of the HUG-KIDS study, a phase I/II trial. Blood 5:1550-1554.
- Neera S, Poonam R, Gupta M, Nidhi G and Neeraj T(2013) Effects of aqueous extract of Camellia sinensis (l.) O.kuntze on liver markers of cadmium treated rats. E3 Journal of Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Research Vol. 4(5), pp. 89-93.
- Nse A.N, Williams E.M, UduakA , and Edem E. A. (2014) Haematological Parameters and Factors Affecting Their Values Agricultural Science Volume 2, Issue 1 (2014), 37-47
- Obianime A.W, Aprioku J.S and Escmonu C (2011).The Effects of Aqueous Ocimum gratissimum Leaf Extract on Some Biochemical and Hematological Parameters in Male Mice. Asian Journal of Biological Sciences .4(1);44-54
- Olabemiwo O.M, AdediranG.O,Adekola F.A, Olajire A.A and Adedeji O.S (2011) Impacts of simulatedAgbabu bitumen leachate on haematological and biochemical parameter of wistar albino rat. Research journal of environmental toxicology 5 (3): p 213-221.
- Olafadehan O.A Changes in haematological and biochemical diagnostic Changes in haematological and biochemical diagnostic parameters of Red Sokoto goats fed tannin-rich Pterocarpuserinaceus forage diets forage diets.Vet. arhiv 81, 471-483, 2011.
- Oluduro A. O. and Aderiye B. I. (2009) Effect of Moringaoleifera seed extract on vital organs and tissue enzymes activities of male albino rats.African Journal of Microbiology Research Vol. 3(9) pp. 537-540
- Oyagbemi, A.A., Omobowale, T.O., Azeez, I.O., Abiola, J.O., Adedokun, R.A., Nottidge, H.O.(2013b).Toxicological evaluations of methanolic extract of Moringa oleifera leaves in liver and kidney of male Wistar rats.J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol.24(4):307-12
- Pirzada, K.; Ahmad,. S. S.; Rashid, A.; Shah, I. (2009). Multivariate analysis of selected roadside plants (Dalbergia sisso and Cannabis sativa) for lead pollution monitoring. Pak. J. Bot; 41(4): 1729-1736.
- Sembullingan K and SembullinganPrema (2012).Essentials of medical physiology. 6th Edition; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher Limited. 90-153
- Soetan KO, Akinrinde AS, Ajibade TO (2013). Preliminary studies on the haematological parameters of cockerels fed raw and processed guinea corn (Sorghum bicolor). Kubkomawa et al. 27 Proceedings of 38th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society for Animal Production, Pp. 49-52.
- Stickel F, Patsenker E, Schuppan D (2005) Herbal hepatotoxicity. JHepatol 43: 901-910
- Taylor TN, Dolezal C, Tross S, Holmes WC. Comparison of HIV/AIDS-Specific Quality of life change in Zimbabwe Patients at Western Medicine versus Traditional African Medicine Care Sites. JAIDS. 2008;49:552–556
- Titez N.W (2000). Fundamentals of clinical chemistry. 6thed. Philadephia, PA: Saunders, pp 744-5, 788-9.
- Tong Y, Yan Leng and JingLi B (2012) Chinese Herbal Medicine: a Safe Alternative Therapy for Urinary Tract Infection in Patients with Renal Insufficiency. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 9(2):266-270
- Zuckerman M, Steenkamp V and M J Stewart (2002) Hepatic veno-occlusive disease as a result of a traditional remedy: confirmation of toxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids as the cause, using an in vitro technique. J Clin Pathol. 55(9): 676–679.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.