Author(s): Roberto Guimarães Pereira, Guilherme Pereira Mota, Ithamar Ribeiro Rangel, João Crisósthomo de Queiroz Neto
Download Full PDF
Read Complete Article
Volume 8 - May 2019
The Influence of cations addition (Na+, Ca2+ and Mg2+) on rheology of aqueous diutan gum solutions was investigated at the temperatures of 200C, 400C and 600C. It was used a solution of diutan gum (4300 ppm) in deionized water with 40000 ppm of NaCl. In this solution, inorganic cations (300 ppm of calcium; 300 ppm of magnesium and 300 ppm of calcium plus 300 ppm of magnesium) were added. Steady shear, creep-recovery and oscillation tests were performed. All aqueous diutan gum solutions showed a pseudoplastic and viscoelastic behavior. The addition of calcium and magnesium cations leads to a gel behavior of the solutions for all cases in the angular velocity range investigated, as demonstrated by mechanical spectra. The recovery rate in the case of aqueous diutan gum solutions with calcium and magnesium is much higher than the recovery rate in the case of aqueous diutan gum solutions with NaCl.
Diutan Gum, Rheological Tests, Viscosity, Viscoelasticity, Power-Law Model, Exponential Model, Cox-Merz Rule
- García MC, Carmona JA, Santos J, Alfaro MC, Muñoz J, Effect of temperature and shear on the microstructure of a microbial polysaccharide secreted by Sphingomonas species in aqueous solution, Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 2018, 118: 2071–2075.
- Xu L, Gong H, Dong M, Li Y, Rheological properties and thickening mechanism of aqueous diutan gum solution: Effects of temperature and salts, Carbohydr. Polym. 2015, 132: 620-629.
- Carmona JA, Lucas A, Ramírez P, Calero N, Muñoz J, Nonlinear and linear viscoelastic properties of a novel type of xanthan gum with industrial applications, Rheol Acta. 2015, 54: 993–1001.
- Chang I, Im J, Prasidhi AK, Cho GC, Effects of Xanthan gum biopolymer on soil strengthening, Constr. Build. Mater. 2015, 74: 65-72.
- Lee JS, Kim YS, Song KW, Transient rheological behavior of natural polysaccharide xanthan gum solutions in start-up shear flow fields: An experimental study using a strain-controlled rheometer, Korea-Australia Rheology Journal. 2015, 27(3): 227-239.
- Lee JS, Song KW, Time-dependent rheological behavior of natural polysaccharide xanthan gum solutions in interrupted shear and step-incremental/reductional shear flow fields, Korea-Australia Rheology Journal. 2015, 27(4): 297-307.
- Kaur V, Bera MB, Panesar PS, Kumar H, Kennedy JF, Welan gum: Microbial production, characterization, and applications, Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 2014, 65: 454–461.
- Xu L, Xu G, Yu L, Gong H, Dong M, Li Y, The displacement efficiency and rheology of welan gum for enhanced heavy oil recovery, Polym. Adv. Technol. 2014, 25: 122-1129.
- Khalil M, Jan BM, Herschel-Bulkley rheological parameters of a novel environmentally friendly lightweight biopolymer drilling fluid from xanthan gum and starch, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2012, 124: 595-606.
- Sonebi M, McKendry D, Effect of Mix Proportions on Rheological and Hardened Properties of Composite Cement Pastes, The Open Construction and Building Technology Journal. 2008, 2: 15-23.
- Marudova-Zsivanovits M, Jilov N, Gencheva E, Rheological Investigation of Xanthan Gum–Chromium Gelation and its Relation to Enhanced Oil Recovery, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2007, 103: 160–166.
- Dolz M, Hernández MJ, Delegido J, Oscillatory measurements for salad dressings stabilized with modified starch, xanthan gum, and locust bean gum J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2006. 102: 897-903.
- Gebert MS, Friend DR, Purified guar galactomannan as an improved pharmaceutical excipient, Pharm. Dev. Technol. 1989, 3: 315-323.
- Banerjee P, Mukherjee I, Bhattacharya S, Datta S, Moulik SP, Sarkar D, Sorption of water vapor, hydration, and viscosity of carboxymethylhydroxypropyl guar, diutan, and xanthan gums, and their molecular association with and without salts (NaCl, CaCl2, HCOOK, CH3COONa, (NH4)2SO4 and MgSO4) in aqueous solution, Langmuir. 2009, 25: 11647-11656.
- Zhang J, Weissinger EA, Peethamparan S, Scherer GW, Early hydration and setting of oil well cement, Cem. Concr. Res. 2010, 40: 1023-1033.
- Li Y, Xu L, Gong H, Ding B, Dong M, Li Y, A microbial exopolysaccharide produced by sphingomonas species for enhanced heavy oil recovery at high temperature and high salinity, Energy Fuels. 2017, 31: 3960-3969.
- Sonebi M, Rheological properties of grouts with viscosity modifying agents as diutan gum and welan gum incorporating pulverised fly ash, Cem. Concr. Res. 2006, 36: 1609-1618.
- Xu L, Xu G, Liu T, Chen Y, Gong H, The comparison of rheological properties of aqueous welan gum and xanthan gum solutions, Carbohydr. Polym. 2013, 92: 516-522.
- Marcotte M, Hoshahili ART, Ramaswamy HS, Rheological properties of selected hydrocolloids as a function of concentration and temperature, Food Res. Int. 2001, 34: 695-703.
- Wang B, Wang LJ, Li D, Özkan N, Li SJ, Maoa ZH, Rheological properties of waxy maize starch and xanthan gum mixtures in the presence of sucrose, Carbohydr. Polym. 2009, 77: 472-481.
- 21 Wu M, Li D, Wang LJ, Özkan N, Mao ZH, Rheological properties of extruded dispersions of flaxseed-maize blend, J. Food Eng. 2010, 98: 480-491.
- Rao MA, Rheological behavior of processed fluid and semisolid foods. In M. A. Rao (Ed.), Rheology of Fluid and Semisolid Foods, Maryland: Aspen Pub, 1999, 153-218.
- Özkan N, Xin H, Chen XD, Application of a depth sensing indentation hardness test to evaluate the mechanical properties of food materials, J. Food Sci. 2002, 67(5): 1814-1820.
- Chang YH, Lim ST, Yoo B, Dynamic rheology of corn starch–sugar composites, J. Food Eng. 2004, 64: 521-527.
- Cox WP, Merz EH, Correlation of dynamic and steady flow viscosities, J. Polym. Sci. 1958, 2: 619-622.
- Barnes HA, Hutton JF, Walters K, An introduction to rheology, New York, Elsevier. 1989.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.