Obesity is a modern disease that may be associated with sexual dysfunction, the inability to participate in a pleasurable sexual relationship. Sexual dysfunction is more common in women than men. The objective of this study was to investigate risk factors for sexual dysfunction in obese women. Articles in English and Portuguese published between 1996 and 2018 in the Medline/PubMed and SciELO databases were identified using the terms "sexuality" AND "sexual dysfunction" AND "obesity" AND "overweight" AND "body mass index" AND "women". The results showed that female sexual dysfunction, a complex multifactorial disease that is correlated to health status, can be influenced by obesity. Thus, it can be concluded that weight loss, lifestyle changes and a healthy diet, treatment of complications associated with obesity, and use of non-hormonal contraceptives can lead to an improvement in female sexual function and, consequently, the quality of life of women.
Sexual Activity, Obesity, Sexuality, Body Mass Index, Women
- Abdo CHN; Lopes GP. Disfunção sexual feminina: Diagnóstico e tratamento. In: Workshop de Sexualidade: Diagnóstico e tratamento em disfunção sexual. 3th chapter. São Paulo: Segmento Farma. 2012:37- 66.
- Jorge LB, Poltronieri D, Zanella AK, Bós AJG, Latorre GS. Impact of overweight in sexual dysfunction female: review of literature. Femina 2015;43(6):265-271.
- Simoncig Netjasov A, Tančić-Gajić M, Ivović M, Marina L, Arizanović Z, Vujović S. Influence of obesity and hormone disturbances on sexuality of women in the menopause. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2016;32(9):762-766.
- Ribeiro MC, Nakamura MU, Torloni MR, et al. Maternal overweight and sexual function in pregnancy. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2016;95(1):45-51.
- Kolotkin RL, Binks M, Crosby RD, Østbye T, Gress RE, Adams TD. Obesity and Sexual Quality of Life. Obesity. 2006;14:3.
- Morotti E, Battaglia B, Paradisi R, et al. Body mass index, Stunkard Figure Rating Scale, and sexuality in young Italian women: a pilot study. J Sex Med. 2013;10(4):1034-43.
- Worsley R, Santoro N, Miller KK, Parish SJ, Davis SR. Hormones and Female Sexual Dysfunction: Beyond Estrogens and Androgens--Findings from the Fourth International Consultation on Sexual Medicine. J Sex Med. 2016;13(3):283-90.
- Katz A. Obesity and Sexual Dysfunction: Making the Connection. Am J Nurs. 2017;117(10):45-50.
- Fontaine KR, Barofsky I. Obesity and health-related quality of life. Obes Rev. 2001;2:173-82.
- Costa RF, Machado SC, Cordás TA. Imagem corporal e comportamento sexual de mulheres obesas com e sem transtorno da compulsão alimentar periódica. Rev Psiq Clín. 2010;37(1):27-31.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Obesity and overweight. WHO web site. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/ Published October 18, 2017. Accessed February 21, 2018.
- Smith HÁ, Markovic N, Danielson ME, et al. Sexual Abuse, Sexual Orientation, and Obesity in Women. J Womens Health 2010;19(8): 1525-1532.
- Pinkney JH, Kopelman PG. Endocrine determinants of obesity. In Bray GA, Bouchard C eds, Handbook of Obesity. Etiology and Pathophysiology. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker. 2004;655-670.
- Mayer ME, Bauer RM, Schorsch I, Sonnenberg JE, Stief CG, Uckert S. Female sexual dysfunction: what’s new? Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2007;19(6):536-540.
- Mendonça CR, Silva TM, Arrudai JT, Zapata MTAG, Amaral WN. Female sexual function: normal and pathological aspects, prevalence in Brazil, diagnosis and treatment. Femina 2012;40(4):195-202.
- Do Portal do Governo do estado de São Paulo web site. http://www.saopaulo.sp.gov.br/sala-de-imprensa/release/falta-de-desejo-sexual-e-queixa-de-48-das-mulheres-atendidas-em-servico-do-perola-byington/ Published November 21, 2013. Accessed October 14, 2017.
- Ribeiro MC, Nakamura MU, Torloni MR, Scanavino Mde T, Scomparini FB, Mattar R. Female sexual function of overweight women with gestational diabetes mellitus - a cross-sectional study. PLoS One 2014:9:e95094.
- Zueff LN, Lara LA, Vieira CS, Martins Wde P, Ferriani R. Body composition characteristics predict sexual functioning in obese women with or without PCOS. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy 2015;41:227-237.
- Martins e Silva B, TCBC-AL, Rêgo LM, Galvão MA, Florêncio TMMT, Cavalcante JC. Incidence of sexual dysfunction in patients with obesity and overweight. Rev Col Bras Cir. 2013;40(3):196-202.
- Escobar-Morreale HF, Santacruz E, Luque-Ramírez M, Botella Carretero JI. Prevalence of 'obesity-associated gonadal dysfunction' in severely obese men and women and its resolution after bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update. 2017;23(4):390-408.
- NCD Risk Factor Collaboration (NCD-RisC). Trends in adult body-mass index in 200 countries from 1975 to 2014: a pooled analysis of 1698 population-based measurement studies with 19.2 million participants. Lancet 2016;387:1377-1396.
- Lauby-Secretan B, Scoccianti C, Loomis D, Grosse Y, Bianchini F, Straif K; International Agency for Research on Cancer Handbook Working Group.Body fatness and cancer - viewpoint of the IARC Working Group. N Engl J Med. 2016;375:794-798.
- Ng M, Fleming T, Robinson M, et al. Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet 2014;384:766-781.
- Kimmel MC, Ferguson EH, Zerwas S, Bulik CM, Meltzer-Brody S. Obstetric and gynecologic problems associated with eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord. 2016;49(3):260-75.
- Aversa A, Bruzziches R, Francomano D, et al. Weight loss by multidisciplinary intervention improves endothelial and sexual function in obese fertile women. J Sex Med. 2013;10(4):1024-33.
- Imprialos KP, Stavropoulos K, Doumas M, Tziomalos K, Karagiannis A, Athyros VG. Sexual Dysfunction, Cardiovascular Risk and Effects of Pharmacotherapy. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2018;16(2):130-142.
- González-Muniesa P, Mártinez-González MA, Hu FB, et al. Obesity. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017;3:17034.
- Kolotkin RL, Zunker C, Østbye T. Sexual functioning and obesity: a review. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012;20(12):2325-33.
- Li F, Wang Y, Xiao L, Lou Q, Fish AF. Frequency, severity, and risk factors related to sexual dysfunction in Chinese women with T2D. J Diabetes. 2016;8:544-551.
- Liu L, Kang R, Zhao S, et al. Sexual dysfunction in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Sex Med. 2015;12:1992-2003.
- Abdollahi M, Toghae M, Raisi F, Saffari E. The prevalence of female sexual dysfunction among migraine patients. Iran J Neurol. 2015;14:8-11.
- Bond DS, Pavlović JM, Lipton RB, et al. Sexual Dysfunction in Women With Migraine and Overweight/Obesity: Relative Frequency and Association With Migraine Severity. Headache. 2017;57(3):417-427.
- Shah MB. Obesity and sexuality in women. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2009;36(2):347-60, ix.
- Noroozzadeh M, Ramezani Tehrani F, Bahri Khomami M, Azizi F. A Comparison of Sexual Function in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Whose Mothers Had PCOS During Their Pregnancy Period with Those Without PCOS. Arch Sex Behav. 2017;46(7):2033-2042.
- AlMogbel TA, Amin HS, AlSaad SM, AlMigbal TH. Prevalence of sexual dysfunction in saudi women with Type 2 diabetes: Is it affected by age, glycemic control or obesity? Pak J Med Sci. 2017;33(3):732-737.
- Kapoor E, Collazo-Clavell ML, Faubion SS. Weight Gain in Women at Midlife: A Concise Review of the Pathophysiology and Strategies for Management. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017;92(10):1552-1558.
- Doumas M, Tsiodras S, Tsakiris A, et al. Female sexual dysfunction in essential hypertension: A common problem being uncovered. J Hypertens 2006;24:2387-92.
- Martelli V, Valisella S, Moscatiello S, et al. Prevalence of sexual dysfunction among postmenopausal women with and without metabolic syndrome. J Sex Med 2012;9:434.
- Esch T, Stefano GB. The Neurobiology of Love. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2005;26(3):175-92.
- Dashti S, Latiff LA, Hamid HA, et al. Sexual Dysfunction in Patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016;17(8):3747-51.
- Eftekhar T, Sohrabvand F, Zabandan N, Shariat M, Haghollahi F, Ghahghaei-Nezamabadi A. Sexual dysfunction in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome and its affected domains. Iran J Reprod Med. 2014;12(8):539-46.
- Abdo CHN. Quociente sexual feminino: um questionário brasileiro para avaliar a atividade sexual da mulher. Diagn Tratamento. 2009;14(2):89-91.
- Fairbanks F, Andres MP, Caldeira P, Abdo C, Podgaec S. Sexual function, anxiety and depression in women with benign breast disease. A case-control study. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992). 2017;63(10):876-882.
- World Health Organization. BMI classification: table 1: the international classification of adult underweight, overweight and obesity according to BMI. http://apps.who.int/bmi/index.jsp?introPage=intro_3.html. Accessed October 8, 2017.
- Nappi RE, Cucinella L, Martella S, Rossi M, Tiranini L, Martini E. Female sexual dysfunction (FSD): Prevalence and impact on quality of life (QoL). Maturitas. 2016;94:87-91.
- McCabe MP, Sharlip ID, Lewis R, et al. Risk Factors for Sexual Dysfunction Among Women and Men: A Consensus Statement From the Fourth International Consultation on Sexual Medicine 2015. J Sex Med 2016;13:153-67.
- Hatzichristou D, Kirana PS, Banner L, et al. Diagnosing Sexual Dysfunction in Men and Women: Sexual History Taking and the Role of Symptom Scales and Questionnaires. J Sex Med 2016;13:1166-82.
- Rowland DL, McNabney SM, Mann AR. Sexual Function, Obesity, and Weight Loss in Men and Women. Sex Med Rev. 2017;5(3):323-338.
- Johnston BC, Kanters S, Bandayrel K, et al. Comparison of weight loss among named diet programs in overweight and obese adults: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2014;312(9):923-33.
- Ryan D, Heaner M. Guidelines (2013) for managing overweight and obesity in adults: preface to the full report. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2014;22 Suppl 2:S1-S3.
- Camps MA, Zervos E, Goode S, Rosemurgy AS. Impact of Bariatric Surgery on Body Image Perception and Sexuality in Morbidly Obese Patients and their Partners. Obes Surg 1996;6:356-360.
- Wingfield LR, Kulendran M, Laws G, Chahal H, Scholtz S, Purkayastha S. Change in sexual dysfunction following bariatric surgery. Obes Surg 2016;26: 387-394.
- Steffen KJ, King WC, White GE, et al. Sexual functioning of men and women with severe obesity before bariatric surgery. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017;13(2):334-343.
- Goitein D, Zendel A, Segev L, Feigin A, Zippel D. Bariatric surgery improves sexual function in obese patients. Isr Med Assoc J 2015;17(10):616-9.
- Giraldi A, Marson L, Nappi R, et al. Physiology of female sexual function: animal models. J Sex Med. 2004;1(3):237–53.
- Casey PM, MacLaughlin KL, Faubion SS. Impact of Contraception on Female Sexual Function. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2017;26(3):207-213.
- Batur P, Bowersox N, McNamara M. Contraception: Efficacy, Risks, Continuation Rates, and Use in High-Risk Women. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016;25(8):853-6.
- Koseoglu SB, Deveer R, Akin MN, Gurbuz AS, Kasap B, Guvey H. Is There Any Impact of Copper Intrauterine Device on Female Sexual Functioning? J Clin Diagn Res. 2016;10(10):QC21-QC23.
- Sakinci M, Ercan CM, Olgan S, Coksuer H, Karasahin KE, Kuru O. Comparative analysis of copper intrauterine device impact on female sexual dysfunction subtypes. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2016;55(1):30-4.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.