In this paper, we discuss the symmetries of the icons engraved on some ancient seals, in particular on the stamp seals. Used since the Neolithic times to impress some decorations, these early seals had probably the social function of allowing the identification of their owners too. The first seals were engraved with simple geometric images, then animals and humans appeared, arranged on their small circular or elliptic surfaces with bilateral and rotational symmetries.
Symmetry, Seals, Scarab Seals
- G.A. Horridge, The honeybee detects bilateral symmetry and discriminates its axis, Journal of Insect Physiology, Vol.42, 1996, pages 755â€“764
- J.P. Swaddle and I.C. Cuthill, Preference for symmetric males by female zebra finches, Nature, Vol.367, 1994, pages 165â€“166
- H.B. Barlow and B.C. Reeves, The versatility and absolute efficiency of detecting mirror symmetry in random dot displays, Vision Research, Vol.19, 1979, pages 783â€“793
- J. Wagemans, Detection of visual symmetries, Spatial Vision, Vol.9, 1995, pages 9â€“32
- S. Mancini, S.L. Sally and R. Gurnsey, Detection of symmetry and anti-symmetry, Vision Research, Vol.45, Issue 16, 2005, pages 2145-2160
- G. Darvas, The interpretation of the concept of symmetry in everyday life, science and art. Symmetry, invariance, harmony, BirkhÃ¤user, Basel, 2007
- A.C. Sparavigna, Symmetries in images on ancient seals, Cogprints, November 2008
- R. Feynman, R. Leighton and M. Sands, The Feynman Lectures on Physics. 3 volumes 1964,1966
- K Brading and E. Castellani, Symmetries in Physics: Philosophical reflections, Cambridge University Press, 2003
- D.J. Melville, Aspects of Symmetry in Arpachiyah Pottery, Proceedings of Renaissance Banff: Mathematics, Music, Art. Culture, R. Sarhangi and R.V. Moody (eds.) Renaissance Banff Conference 2005, pages 131-136
- Encyclopaedia Britannica, at www.britannica.com w.mdpi.com/journal/algorithms/instructions
- A. TÃ¼rkcan, Stamp Seals, Ã‡atalhÃ¶yÃ¼k Archive report, 1997, available at the web page http://www.catalhoyuk.com/archive_reports/1997/ar97_18.html
- W. Heimpel, Observations on the meaning and use of pre-Hispanic Mexican stamps, Texas Notes, Vol.60, 1964, pages 1-4
- F. Magnarini, Catalogo ragionato di una collezione di scarabei-sigillo egizi, BAR International Series 1241, Oxford, 2004
- A.C. Sparavigna, Ancient Egyptian seals and scarabs, LULU e-book, 2011
- J. Ward, The sacred beetle: a popular treatise on Egyptian scarabs in art and history, John Murray, London, 1902.
- K.H. Hall, Catalogue of Egyptian scarabs in the British Museum, Royal scarabs, British Museum, London, 1913.
- P.E. Newberry, Scarab-shaped seals, Archibald Constable and Co., London, 1907.
- M. SchÃ¸yen, Seals, at www.schoyencollection.com/index.html
- Stamp seals, at www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/sarasvati/lapis/lapis_lazuli.htm
- P.P.J. Gerdes, On ethno-mathematical research and symmetry. Symmetry in a kaleidoscope, Symmetry Cult. Sci., Vol.1, Issue 2, 1990, pages 154-170
- P. Gerdes, Fivefold symmetry and (basket) weaving in various cultures, in I. Hargittai Editor, Fivefold Symmetry, World Scientific, Singapore, 1992.
- Late bronze age stamp seal, at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Late_bronze_age_seal.jpg
- C.A. Burney, Historical dictionary of the Hittites, Scarecrow Press, 2004
- S. Oâ€™Brien, S. The role of the duel in early Mycenaean society, www..wac6.org/
- A discussion on broken symmetries can be found in the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy, at the link http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/symmetry-breaking/
- A. Moro, Dynamic antisymmetry: movement as a symmetry-breaking phenomenon, Studia Linguistica, Vol.51, Issue 1, 1997, pages 50-76
- S. Davies, Minoan Seal Depicting Bull-Jumping in Action, at web site www.utexas.edu/courses/introtogreece/lect2/img6minseal.html
- B. GrÃ¼nbaum, The emperor's new clothes: full regalia, G-string, or nothing?, Math. Intelligencer, Vol.6, Issue 4, 1984, pages 47-53
- A three-fold rotational symmetry is shown by the decoration with fishes and lotus flower of a faience bowl at the Ã„gyptisches Museum und Papyrussammlung, Berlin
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.