The anthracnose disease is one of the major economic diseases in chilli production of Thailand. The present study was aims to test and evaluate the fungicidal activity of the ethanolic crude extracts from thirty-four medicinal plants were tested against Colletotrichum gloeosporioides (the pathogen of anthracnose disease in chilli of Thailand) by poisoned food technique at 0, 2,000, 4,000, 6,000, 8,000 and 10,000 ppm. The inhibition of mycelial growth was evaluated. From the testing, All the used of thirty-four crude extracts showed significant antifungal activity against C. gloeosporioides. The result showed that the Curcuma aromatica, Zingiber zerumbet, Piper betle, Kaempferia galanga, Rosmarinus officinalis and Origanum vulgare crude extracts showed 100% inhibition of mycelial growth at all concentrations, whereas, the Wedelia trilobata and Polygonum odoratum crude extracts at 10,000 ppm gave the lowest inhibition of 70 and 82%, respectively. The study noted that the crude extracts namely C. aromatica, Z. zerumbet, P. betle, K. galanga, R. officinalis and O. vulgare showed the completely control of mycelial growth against C. gloeosporioides (the pathogen of anthracnose disease in chilli). These research pointed the oppurtunities for screening and application of some ethanolic crude extracts for a eco-friendly environmental management and exploited method as the biological control in chilli production.
Fungicidal Activity, Anthracnose Disease, Colletotrichum Gloeosporioides Medicinal Plants, Ethanolic Crude Extracts, Chilli
- Abera A, Lemessa F & Multa D : 2011. The antigungal activity of some medicinal plants against coffee berry disease caused by Colletotrichum kahawae. Int. J. Agric. Res. 6:268-279.
- Ademe A, Ayalew A & Woldetsadik K : 2013. Evaluation of antifungal activity of plant extracts against payaya anthracnose (Colletotrichum gloeosporioides). J. Plant Pathol. Microb, 4 :1-4.
- Alemu K, Ayalew A & K. Weldetsadik : 2014. Evaluation of antifungal activity of botanicals for poatharvest management of mango anthracnose (Colletotrichum gloeosporioides). International Journal of Life Sciences, 8 :1-6.
- Ali I, Khan FG, Suri KA, Gupta BD, Satti NK, Dutt P, Afrin F, Qazi GN, & Khan IA : 2010. In vitro antifungal activity of hydroxychavical isolated from Piper betle L. Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials, 9: 1-9.
- Biju CN, & Praveena R: 2018. Evaluation of plant extracts for antifungal activity against Colletotrichum gloeosporioides, the incitant of leaf blight in small cardamom and anthracnose of black pepper. Journal of Plantation Crops, 46 : 92-101.
- Centeno S, Calvo MA, Adelantado C, & Figueroa S : 2010. Antifungal activity of extracts of Rosmarinus officinalis and Thymus vulgaris against Aspergillus flavus and A. ochraceus. Pak. J. Biol. Sci, 13: 452-455.
- Dissanayake MLM, Dahanayaka VS & Ranasinghe C : 2019. Antifungal potential of some plant extracts against Colletotrichum gloeosporioides causal organism of papaya anthracnose disease. Asian J. Biol. Sci, 12:589-595.
- Filoda G : 2008. Impact of some fungicides on mycelium growth of Colletotrichum gloeosporioides (Penz.) Penz. & Sacc. Pestycydy/Pesticides, 3 :109-116.
- Harit J, Barapatre A, Prajapati M, Aadil MR. & Senapati S : 2013. Antimicrobial activity of rgizome of selected Curcuma Variety. Int. J. Life Sci. Bt & Pharm. Res, 2 :183-189.
- Haron FF, Sijam K, Omar D. & Rahmani M : 2013. Chemical composition and screening for antifungal activity of Allamanda spp. (Apocynaceae) crude extracts against Colletotrichum gloeosporioides, causal agent of anthracnose in papaya. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 7:88-96.
- Husein S, Parhusip A. & Ramasi EF : 2009. Study on antibacterial activity from Temulawak (Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb.) rhizomes against pathogenics microbes cell destruction. J. Applied Industrial Biotechnol. in Tropical Region, 2 : 1-4.
- Johnny L, Yusuf UK, & Nulit R : 2010. The effect of herbal plant exteact on the growth and sporulation of Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. J. Appl. Biosci, 34 :2218-2224.
- Jun-Young C, Choi GJ, Lee S, Jang KS, Lin HK, Lim CH, Lee SO, Cho KY. & Kim J : 2006. Antifungal activity against Colletotrichum spp. of curcuminoids isolated from Curcuma longa L. rhizome. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol, 16 :280-285.
- Kader G, Nikkon GF, Rashid MA. & Yeasmin T : 2011. Antimicrobial activities of the rhizome extract of Zingiber zerumbet Linn. Asian Pac J. Trop Biomed, 1: 409-412.
- Karunarathna TCM, Damunupola JW. & Bandara BMR: 2018. Screening of selected invasive plant extracts for antifungal activity against Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. P. 21-28. In Proceeding of the 3 rd International Research Symposium on Pure and Applied Sciences. University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
- Kochuthressia KP, Britto SJ, Jaseentha MO. & Raphael R : 2012. In vitro antimicrobial evaluation of Kaempferia galangal L. rhizome extract. Am. J. Biotechnol. Mol. Sci, 2: 1-5.
- Kocic-Tanakov SD, Dimic GR, Tanakov TT, Pejin DJ, Mojovic LV. & Pejin JD : 2011. Antifungal activity of Oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) extract on the growth of Fusarium and Penicillium species isolated from food. Hem. Ind, 66 : 33-41.
- Lee SE, Park BS, Kim MK, Choi WS, Kim HT, Cho KY, Lee SG. & Lee HS : 2001. Fungicidal activity of pipernonaline. A piperidine alkaloid derived from long pepper, Piper longum L. against phytopathogenic fungi. Crop protection, 20: 523-528.
- Marinho GJP, Klein DE. & Junior CLS : 2018. Evaluation of soapberry (Sapindus saponaria L.) leaf extract against papaya anthracnose. Summa Phytopathol, 44:127-131.
- Matsuzaki Y, Tsujisawa T, Nishihara T, Nakamura M. & Kakinoki Y: 2013. Antifungal activity of chemotype essential oils from rosemary against Candida albicans. Open Journal of Stomatology, 3: 176-182.
- Meng X, Li J, Bi F, Zhu L. & Ma Z: 2015. Antifungal activities of crude extractum from Camellia semiserrata Chi (Nanshancha) seed cake against Colletotrichum musae, Colletotrichum gloeosporioides and Penicillium italicum in vitro and in vivo fruit test. Plant Pathol. J, 31 :414-420.
- Mukherjee A, Khandker S, Islam MR. & Shahid SB: 2011. Efficacy of some plant extracts on the mycelial growth of Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. J. Bangladesh Agril. Univ, 9 :43-47.
- Nagaraju RS, Sriram RH. & Achur R : 2020. Anrifungal activity of carbendazim-conjugated silver nanoparticles against anthracnose disease caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides in mango. Journal of Plant Pathology, 102 :39-46.
- Neela FA, Sonia IA. & Shamsi S. 2014. Antifungal activity of selected medicinal plant extract on Fusarium oxysporum Schlechtthe causal agent of fusarium wilt disease in tomato, American Journal of Plant Sciences, 5: 2665-2671.
- Palhano FL, Vichens TB, Santos RB, Orlando MTD, Ventura JA. & Fernandes PMB : 2004. Inactivation of Colletotrichum gloeosporioides spores by high hydrostatic pressure combined with citral or lemongrass essential oil. Int. J. Food Micro, 95: 61-66.
- Papajani V, Haloci E, Goci E, Shkrel R. & Manfredini S : 2015. Evaluation of antifungal activity of Origanum vulgare and Rosmarinus officinalis essential oil before and after inclusion in B-cyclodextrine. Int. Pharm. Pharm. Sci., 7: 270-273.
- Perez-Cordero A, Chamorro L, Vitola-Romero D. & Hernandez-Gomez J : 2017. Antifungal activity of Cymbopogon citratus against Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. Agron Mesoam, 28:465-475.
- Prasad MNN, Bhat S. & Sreenivasa MY : 2010. Antifungal activity of essential oils against Phomopsis azadirachtae-the causative of die-back disease of neem. J. Agric. Technol, 6: 127-133.
- Rahman MS, Ahnad H, Mohamad MTM. & Rahman MZA : 2011. Extraction of Jatropha curcas fruits for antifungal activity against anthracnose (Colletotrichum gloeosporioides) of papaya. Afr. J. Biotechnol, 10:9796-9799.
- Saleem MB, Daniel B. & Murli K : 2011. Antimicrobial activity of three different rhizomes of Curcuma longa & Curcuma aromatica on Uropathogens of Diabetic patients. Int. J. Pharm Pharm Sci, 3 : 273-279.
- Sawatdikarn S : 2016. Antifungal activity of crude extracts of some medicinal plants against Curvularia lunata, The pathogen of dirty panicle disease in rice, p 1232-1242. In 2016 Conference Proceedings on International Congress on Chemical, Biological and Environmental Sciences.
- Sawatdikarn S : 2011. Antifungal activity of twenty-four medicinal crude extracts against Curvularia sp., The pathogen of dirty panicle disease in rice, p. 1-8. In 37th Congress on Science and Technology of Thailand.
- Sawatdikarn S : 2016. Fungicidal activity of crude extracts of forty medicinal plants against Fusarium semitectum, The pathogen of dirty panicle disease in rice, p. 593-602. In 2016 Conference Proceedings on International Symposium on Life Science and Biological Engineering.
- Sawatdikarn S : 2016. Fungicidal potentials of crude extracts of thirty-four medicinal plants against Colletotrichum capsici, The pathogen of anthracnose disease in chilli, p. 566-575, In 2016 Conference Proceedings ; Annual Conference Engineering and Applied Science.
- Sheng-Yang W, Pin-Fun C. & Shang-Tzen C : 2005. Antifungal activities of essential oil and their constituents from indigenous cinnamon (Cinnamomum osmophloeum) leaves against wood decay fungi, Bioresour. Technol, 96: 813-818.
- Singh CB, Chanu SB, Lenin K, Swapana N, Cantrell C. & Ross RA: 2014. Chemical composition and biological activity of the essential oil of rhizome of Zingiber zerumbet (L.) Smith. Journal of Phamacognosy and Phytochemistry, 3: 130-133.
- Than PP, Prihastuti H, Phoulivong S, Taylor PWJ. & Hyde KD : 2008. Chilli anthracnose disease caused by Colletotrichum species. J. Zhejiang Univ Sci B, 10 : 764-778.
- Umar MI, Asmawi MZB, Sadikun A, Altaf R. & Iqbal MA : 2011. Phytochemistry and medicinal properties of Kaempferia galanga L. (Zingiberaceae) extracts. Afr. J. Pharm. Pharmcol, 5: 1638-1647.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.