The nursing process is the bench mark of quality care and needs to be implemented in all health institutions. This research project was triggered by the fact that nurses do not really implement the nursing in patient care as expected despite the nursing profession autonomy it gives. This study therefore was designed to identify factors that hinder the implementation of the nursing process by nurses of the St Elizabeth’s catholic general hospital Shisong”.The age distribution revealed that 20(83.3%) out of the 26 in the adult age group of 31-40, used the nursing process more than the older nurses. The findings revealed 49(70%) participants did not know all the components of the nursing process while only 21(30%) knew , this being the major factor that hindered its use as 38(54.3%) acknowledged that lack of adequate knowledge of the nursing process is a factor that hinders its implementation. Other factors identified by 52(74.3%)of the participants was hindrances to using the nursing process were administrative factors such as shortage of staff and no job description, lack of supervision by head nurses as identified by 35(50%) of the participants. The research concluded that there was no implementation of the nursing process by nurses of this institution.
Factors, Nursing Process, Hospital
- American nurses association scope and standard of nursing practice 2010
- Altamier p. (2010).Evaluation of the implementation of the nursing process among Nurses working in Abakaliki metropolis, Abakaliki West Africa.
- 3. Bowman, G S Thompson, D R and Sutton T W (1983). Nurses’ attitudes towards the nursing process.
- Basic clinical nursing skills by Abraham Alano, BSC, (2002).
- Canada’s health information association (2001) guidelines for the protection of health information. Toronto.
- Educating our students regarding the standards of professional nursing by Fitz Patrick.
- Journal of Advanced Nursing Volume: 8, Issue: 2, Pages: 125-129 PubMed: 6551391 Available from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.g
- Journal of clinical nursing 6,227-231
- Kozier B.,Erb G., Berman A. & Snyder S (2004)7thed Assessing: Fundamentals Of Nursing. Concepts Process and Practise. Pearson Education Inc New Jersey.
- Marriner-tomey A, Aliggood M.R (1998).nursing theorists and their work 4th edition St Louis Mosby.
- Nightigale,f.(1969) Notes on nursing; what it is and what it is not. New York: Denver.
- Orlando I.J (1987, October) Nursing in the 21st century. Alternate path. Journal of Advanced Nursing 12,405-412
- Onyekwere E, (2009) implementation of nursing process in health institution. U.S.A ASP Louis Mosby.
- Yura H and Walsh MB (2002). ‘The nursing process, assessing, planning, implementing, Evaluating’. 6th ed. Norwalk Company: Appleton-Century
- Yura and Walsh (v 1967) the nursing process.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.