Some cases of penetrating trauma to the face can result in asymptomatic injuries, especially vascular trauma. This paper reports the case of a young patient with penetrating facial trauma and a vascular injury diagnosed using an imaging exam. Endovascular treatment was performed involving embolization of the left maxillary artery.
Maxillary Artery, External Causes, Embolization, Injuries and Lesions, Facial Trauma
- Bell RS, Vo AH, Roberts R, Wanebo J, Armonda RA. Wartime traumatic aneurysms: acute presentation, diagnosis, and multimodal treatment of 64 craniocervical arterial injuries. Neurosurgery 2010;66(1):66-79.
- Berne JD, Norwood SH, Mcauley CE, Vallina VL, Creath RG, McLarty J. The high morbidity of blunt cerebrovascular injury in an unscreened population: more evidence of the need for mandatory screening protocols. J Am Coll Surg 2001;192(3):314-321.
- Christensen NP, Smith DS, Barnwell SL, Wax MK. Arterial embolization in the management of posterior epistaxis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005;133(5):748-753.
- Cohen JE, Gomori JM, Segal R, Spivak A, Margolin E, Sviri G, et al. Results of endovascular treatment of traumatic intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurgery 2008;63(3):476-485.
- Duane TM, Parker F, Stokes GK, Parent FN, Britt LD. Endovascular carotid stenting after trauma. J Trauma 2002;52(1):149-153.
- Kansagra AP, Cooke DL, English JD, Sincic RM, Amans MR, Dowd CF, et al. Current trends in endovascular management of traumatic cerebrovascular injury. J Neurointerv Surg 2014;6(1):47-50.
- North CM, Ahmadi J, Segall HD, Chi-Shing Z. Penetrating vascular injuries of the face and neck: clinical and angiographic correlation. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1986;7(5):855-860.
- Richardson JD, Simpson C, Miller FB. Management of carotid artery trauma. Surgery 1988;104(4):673-680.
- Sclafani AP, Sclafani SJA. Angiography and transcatheter arterial embolization of vascular injuries of the face and neck. Laryngoscope 1996;106(2):168-173.
- Yevich SM, Lee SR, Scott BG, Shaltoni HM, Mawad ME, Benndorf G. Emergency endovascular management of penetrating gunshot injuries to the arteries in the face and neck: a case series and review of the literature. J Neurointerv Surg 2014;6(1):42-46.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.