Author(s): Wisut Chamsa-ard, Derek Fawcett, Chun Che Fung, Gerrard Eddy Jai Poinern
The present study investigated the improvement in photothermal response and temperature enhancement of a commercially available organic thermal oil when small quantities of graphene oxide (0.1 to 0.3% w/v) were added. Characterisation studies revealed the ultrasonic processing procedure did not change the chemical composition of the organic oil, which was found to be thermally stable up to 175 °C before complete decomposition at 315 °C. When the GO-based fluids were exposed to a solar irradiance of 985 Wm-2, the temperature enhancements achieved over the exposure period of 20 minutes typically ranged from 42.4 to 43.2%. The temperature enhancements achieved indicate the GO-based fluids have the potential to be used in direct-absorption solar collectors for improved performance.
Graphene Oxide, Photo-Thermal, Direct-Absorption, Solar Collectors
- Minardi JE, H.N. Chuang HN. Sol. Energy 1975; 17(3): 179-83.
- Thirugnanasambandam M, Iniyan S, Goic R. Renew. Sustain Energy Rev 2010; 14: 312-22.
- Chamsa-ard W, Brundavanam S, Fung CC, Fawcett D, Poinern GJE. Nanomaterials 2017; 7(131): 1-30.
- Taylor RA, Phelan PE, Otanicar TP, Adrian R, Parsher R. Nanoscale Res Lett 2011; 6: 1-11.
- Luo Z, Wang C, Wei W, Xiao G, Ni M. Int J Heat Mass Transf 2014; 75: 262-71.
- Taylor R, Coulombe S, Otanicar T, Phelan P, Gunawan A, Lv, W, et al. J Appl Phys 2013; 113: 011301-1 – 011301-19.
- Xuan Y, Duan H, Li Q. RSC Adv 2014; 4(31): 16206–13.
- Cheng XM, Zhu C, Zhang H, Yang XJ. Adv. Mater Res 2013; 815: 415–22.
- Das SK, Choi SUS, Patel HP. Heat Transfer Engineering. 2006; 27: 3–19.
- Mahian O, Kianifar A, Kalogirou SA, Pop I, Wongwises S. Int J Heat Mass Transf 2013; 57(2): 582-94.
- Azizi M, Hosseini M, Zafarnak S, Shanbedi M, Amiri A. Ind Eng Chem Res 2013; 52(29): 10015–21.
- Park SD, Lee SW, Kang S, Bang IC, Kim JH, Shin HS, et al. Appl Phys Lett 2010; 97: 023103-1 – 023103-3.
- Data sheet Therminal 66®, Solutia industry.
- Griratea H, Zaria N, Elmchaouri A, Molina S, Couturier R. Energy Procedia 2015; 69: 860-867.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.