Author(s): Aly Y. Okasha, Elhadi A. Hadia, Mokhtar S. Elatrash
The study area is located in the coastal region of northwestern libya, west of khoms city. This region is characterized by a temperate climate with an average annual precipitation of 17 mm. Cement emissions are proven to have damaging impacts on different plant species. This study focuses on the impact of stack emissions from mergheb cement factory on the abundance, frequency, density and number of species at each site surrounding the factory under the effect of wind direction. The surrounding areas are subdivided into sites to assess plant species variability and their growth. It is concluded that there is a gradual reduction in density and vegetation cover towards the cement factory. Field observations revealed that the biodiversity in the east of cement factory is greater than that in the southwards.
vegetation, cement emissions, Khoms, Libya
- Agrawal M., Singh, B., Agrawal S.B., Bell, J.N.B., and Marshall, F. The effect of air pollution on yield and quality of mung bean grown in peri-urban areas of Varanasi, water, air, and Soil Pollution, 2006; 169: 239-254
- Agrawal, M., Deepak, S.S. Physiological and biochemical responses of two cultivars of wheat to elevated levels of CO2 and SO2, singly and in combination. Environmental Pollution, 2003; 121: 189- 197
- Aldomy, F. Laboratory guide to Soil Studies, Omar Elmokhtar University, Albida, Libya, 1998. In Arabic
- Alsalman, I., and Elmethnani, A., Practical Ecology- Field and Laboratory Studies, Sebha University, Sebha, Libya, 2007. In Arabic
- Amal, M. Fakhry, and M. M. Migahid, Effect of Cement-kiln Dust Pollution on The Vegetation in The Western Mediterranean Desert of Egypt, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 2011; 81
- Alshif, N, Plant species in Kiam Valley and its Medical Uses, MSc. Dissertation in Biological Department, Mergheb University, Libya, 2005
- Bashir, S. Classification Study of Meselata Natural Park, MSc. Dissertation in Biological Department, Mergheb University, Libya, 2008
- Belnap, J., and Harper, K.T. Effect of a coal fired power plant on the rock Lichen Rhizoplaca melanophtalma chlorophyll degradation and electrolyte leakage, The Bryologist, 1990; 93(3): 309-312
- Chauhan, A., Joshi, P.C., Effect of ambient air pollutants on wheat and mustard crops growing in the vicinity of urban and industrial areas. New York Science Journal, 2010; 3: 52- 60
- Hawksworth, D.L., and Rose, F. Qualitative scale for estimating sulphur dioxide air pollution in England and Wales using epiphytic Lichens, Nature, 1970; 227: 145-148
- Ibrahim H.G. Okasha, A.Y. Elatrash, M.S. and Elmishregi M.A., Emissions of SO2, NOx and PMs from Cement Plant in Vicinity of Khoms City in North Western Libya, Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, 2012; A1: 620-628
- Mikola, J., Salonen, V. and Setala, H., Studying the effects of plant species richness on ecosystem functioning, Oecologia, 2002; 133: 594-598
- Misra, J., Pandey, V., Singh, S. N., Singh, N., Yunus, M. and Ahmad, K. J. Growth responses of Lycopersicum esculentum to cement dust treatment. Environmental Scientific Health, 1993; 28: 1771-1780
- Murugesan, M., A. Sivakumar, N. Jayanthi and K. Manonmani. Effect of cement dust pollution on physiological and biochemical activities of certain plants. Pollution Research, 2004; 23(2): 375-378
- Nahal, I., Desertation in Arabic Countries, Arabic Developing Institute, Beirut, Lebanon. 1987, In Arabic
- Nijs, I. and Impens, I.,. Biological diversity and probability of local extinction of ecosystems, Functional Ecology, 2000; 14: 46-54
- Pfanz, H., E. Martinoia, E. Lange O.L. Heber, U. Flux of SO2 into leaf cells and cellular acidification by SO2. Plant Physiology, 1987; 85: 928-933
- Prasad, M. S. V. . and Inandar , J. A. Effect of cement kiln dust pollution on growth and yield of Vigna spp. Indian Journal of Ecology, 1991; 18: 91-94
- Rai, R., and Agrawal, M., Evaluation of physiological and biochemical responses of two rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivars to ambient air pollution using open top chambers at a rural site in India. Science of the Total Environment, 2008; 407: 679- 691
- Sai, V. S., Mishra M. P. and Mishra G. P. , Effect of cement dust pollution on trees and agricultural crops. Asian Environment, 1987; 9(1): 11-14
- Smith, M.D. and Knapp, A.K., Dominant species maintain ecosystem function with non-random species loss, Ecology Letters, 2003; 6: 509-517
- Taylor, R.J., and Bell, M.A., Effect of SO2 on the Lichen flora in an industrial Area northwest Whatcom county, Washington 1983
- Tripathi, A.K., Gautam, M., Biochemical parameters of plants as indicators of air pollution. Journal of Environmental Biology, 2007; 28: 127- 132
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.